Travis

Why are Travis burying their new songs?
joemono
joemono Posted Mon 16 Jul, 2007 7:37 PM Quote
Why does it seem like Travis is making an effort to make it hard for us to hear their new songs? Vinyl only tracks? iTunes only downloads? Pre-sale songs available only for a short time?

What are they trying to accomplish? All it serves to do is make it extremely difficult for us to hear the material they are putting out. I don't get it.

Re: Why are Travis burying their new songs?
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Mon 16 Jul, 2007 8:02 PM Quote
Its a ridiculous marketing ploy that thinks you will buy all of the formats to get all the songs.
10 years ago this might have worked. But in these days of file sharing and we forums its a pointless ploy.

joemono
joemono Posted Mon 16 Jul, 2007 8:07 PM Quote
I can kind of understand what you're saying - but what I'm really getting at is this: Even with us buying all the formats - not many of us can even listen to the vinyl that we're buying. It's one thing to make someone buy two different CD singles to collect all the b-sides, but it's something else entirely to have people collect out-dated media. It just seems like they're sweeping these songs under the rug.

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Mon 16 Jul, 2007 8:10 PM Quote
Thats why its ridiculous. Also , given the fact that travis singles sales aint all that high it must be costing them to do things in this way.

Esteban
Esteban Posted Mon 16 Jul, 2007 8:38 PM Quote
If you're not buying it out of the interest of being a collector of these things, like Paul_C, why buy what you can't listen to?

dejr26
dejr26 Posted Mon 16 Jul, 2007 9:41 PM Quote
Esteban wrote:
If you're not buying it out of the interest of being a collector of these things, like Paul_C, why buy what you can't listen to?

Exactly! For some crazy reason people are still mad on wasting their money and downloading songs so really singles have become a collectors market in a way and that's is why I think (partly) vinyl has come back in to fashion. Maybe not be as universally useful to everyone but it is much nicer and appealing to buy. No one buys all 3 formats when it's on CD now (well not many obviously) so many bands choose to release more on vinyl to boost sales.

Everyone's different of course but I bought all 3 formats of Selfish jean and I can promise you, if they only released 3 cd's instead I would buy one copy (if that). thanks to the people at the top making record buying so dull now (1 or 2 b-sides, no posters, cards, special packaging)there is little fun to be had in buying cd's IMO

paul_c
paul_c Posted Mon 16 Jul, 2007 9:48 PM Quote
Esteban wrote:

Ace! I'm renowned as a collector now :D

I do listen to the vinyls as well, since i have a record player. But i mainly but the 7" singles for the collection thing. AIWTDIR 10" is the only one i haven't listened to i think

joemono
joemono Posted Mon 16 Jul, 2007 10:25 PM Quote
dejr26 wrote:

Maybe not be as universally useful to everyone but it is much nicer and appealing to buy.

So do you think Travis are releasing songs (such as Is That Love? or This Love?) on vinyl as a gift to collectors?

everyday_face
everyday_face Posted Tue 17 Jul, 2007 12:12 AM Quote
Sadly, it was on the old board and so is lost to the ether, but in about January/February of this year, I made a post along the lines of "the official please can we not have vinyl only b-sides post".

It received a total of no comments.

S'not like I didn't warn you all and give you the chance! The signs were there after Walking in the Sun, hence my post!

But yeah, pretty much in agreement with most of what's been said. I don't really like the concept, think it exploits collectors, and is just generally frustrating and annoying.

mayfly
mayfly Posted Tue 17 Jul, 2007 12:48 AM Quote
I would like to listen to new songs rather than piling them on the cabinet just for collection. This 3-format concept only raises the price and makes hard to buy singles even for Travis fanatics. There is actually only one new song capable of listening for the majority of us, except the title songs we all have from TBWNN album. Especially none-UK fans pay more than 5 founds for the all 3 formats with the international delivery charge. Does it really worth to pay that amount of money for only one new song and satisfaction of being a collector? I don't think so.

Anyway, please Travis, let us buy vinyl b-sides online somewhere.

Fran
Fran Posted Tue 17 Jul, 2007 1:09 AM Quote
Before I begin I'd like to separate band and record business. To be totally honest, I have no idea why they want to release singles on vinyl. When I asked the record company why they wanted 2 vinyl and they said loads of bands were doing this... and the fact the the music was recorded on analogue ie reel to reel, and us being vinyl heads, I thought this was cool.
We, Travis can only influence the business up to a point. The way an album is marketed rests with the record company. I didn't consider puting a song out on vinyl as burying the song. On the contrary I thought it would be heard in a different way, in a classic way. If we wanted to bury these songs we wouldn't release them. For instance we went into RAK studios to specially record the Squeeze songs for the vinyl b sides. I appreciate your email Joe as I can forward your concerns to the marketing dept. Thanks. Fran

gladsadmad
gladsadmad Posted Tue 17 Jul, 2007 1:35 AM Quote
Fran wrote:
Before I begin I'd like top separate band and record business at this point. To be totally honest, I have no idea why they want to release singles on vinyl. When I asked the record company why they wanted 2 vinyl and they said loads of bands were doing this... and the fact the the music was recorded on analogue ie reel to reel, and us being vinyl heads, I thought this was cool.
We, Travis can only influence the business up to a point. The way an album is marketed rests with the record company. I didn't consider puting a song out on vinyl as burying the song. On the contrary I thought it would be heard in a different way, in a classic way. If we wanted to bury these songs we wouldn't release them. For instance we went into RAK studios to specially record the Squeeze songs for the vinyl b sides. I appreciate your email Joe as I can forward your concerns to the marketing dept. Thanks. Fran

Thanks for the reply Fran!

I have bought both vinyl bundles of Closer and Selfish Jean as a collector, but can't play them as I (And many other fans these days) don't own a record player.

Would you consider streaming them on your myspace page, or putting the vinyl songs up on iTunes so that peole can hear and buy them legally please?

Cheers for your comments, interesting to know your point of view on the matter, I appreciate it.

From what I gather you're not totally comfortable with the record companies' decision to release vinyls. But surely if someone with as much influence as you can't change their mind, then no one can.

ps - I think that the record company is being really selfish over this, ignoring the fact that it costs money for the fans. Someone should add them to a certain website!

joemono
joemono Posted Tue 17 Jul, 2007 5:50 AM Quote
Fran wrote:
Before I begin I'd like to separate band and record business. To be totally honest, I have no idea why they want to release singles on vinyl. When I asked the record company why they wanted 2 vinyl and they said loads of bands were doing this... and the fact the the music was recorded on analogue ie reel to reel, and us being vinyl heads, I thought this was cool.

I guess part of my frustration came while I was listening to Say Hello. I think it's a beautiful song and it's a shame more people aren't getting a chance to hear it. I think I might be getting old, because something doesn't sit right with me in owning something solely in a digital format. So in that respect, I'd love to see Say Hello officially pressed on to something - be it CD or wax. Plus I recently found out that my record player no longer works, so the untimely death of that coupled with these new vinyl-only b-sides has been unfortunate. And has made me grumpy.

Anyway, great to get a reply from you - it's interesting to get your take on it, and to hear about the way music is made, marketed, and distributed from someone on the inside. Thanks!

TALIA
TALIA Posted Tue 17 Jul, 2007 7:39 AM Quote
joemono wrote:
Plus I recently found out that my record player no longer works, so the untimely death of that coupled with these new vinyl-only b-sides has been unfortunate.

Same thing here :(

Ruudio
Ruudio Posted Tue 17 Jul, 2007 1:33 PM Quote
joemono wrote:

I guess part of my frustration came while I was listening to Say Hello. I think it's a beautiful song and it's a shame more people aren't getting a chance to hear it. I think I might be getting old, because something doesn't sit right with me in owning something solely in a digital format. So in that respect, I'd love to see Say Hello officially pressed on to something - be it CD or wax. Plus I recently found out that my record player no longer works, so the untimely death of that coupled with these new vinyl-only b-sides has been unfortunate. And has made me grumpy.

Anyway, great to get a reply from you - it's interesting to get your take on it, and to hear about the way music is made, marketed, and distributed from someone on the inside. Thanks!

If your getting old, I'm getting old too. I don't feel like I really have the music if I only have it downloaded. Downloading albums doesnt have the same thrill as buying new cds!

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 4:54 AM