Travis

Re: London f*cking media are a disgrace!!
Lemon Grinner
Lemon Grinner Posted Sun 01 Jul, 2007 11:47 AM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

I don't think she owes anyone an explaination, this board is about freedom of speech and that means saying what you like, even if people don't agree with it.

I do find the comment racist, but I also wonder if it was a case of being taken out of context or speaking without thinking first. Or it could be a comment on illegal immigrants that hasn't been voiced particularly well.

I'd just like her to clarify what she meant.

lilly
lilly Posted Sun 01 Jul, 2007 11:48 AM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

I don't think she owes anyone an explaination, this board is about freedom of speech and that means saying what you like, even if people don't agree with it.

I do find the comment racist, but I also wonder if it was a case of being taken out of context or speaking without thinking first. Or it could be a comment on illegal immigrants that hasn't been voiced particularly well.

Of course she doesn't "owe" anyone any explanation, but comments like hers are just calling for questions.
And maybe it would be reassuring to read an explanation, though I hope she has a better one than "I was talking about illegal immigrants".

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sun 01 Jul, 2007 11:48 AM Quote

That's fair enough.

Sorry

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sun 01 Jul, 2007 11:52 AM Quote
lilly wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

Of course she doesn't "owe" anyone any explanation, but comments like hers are just calling for questions.
And maybe it would be reassuring to read an explanation, though I hope she has a better one than "I was talking about illegal immigrants".

Why should we question her beliefs, if that is indeed what she believes. Surely it's her right as a human being ??

Lemon Grinner
Lemon Grinner Posted Sun 01 Jul, 2007 11:53 AM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

That's fair enough.

Sorry

Is this one aimed at me? Lol, yer don't need to apologise if it was.

lilly
lilly Posted Sun 01 Jul, 2007 11:54 AM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
lilly wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

Why should we question her beliefs, if that is indeed what she believes. Surely it's her right as a human being ??

I don't question, I just hope. That's my right as a human being, isn't it.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sun 01 Jul, 2007 11:58 AM Quote
Lemon Grinner wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

That's fair enough.

Sorry

Yeah, and I know I didn't need to, but I thought it would be nice to do so anyway.

I just thought it was getting a little "heavy", which is exactly the kind of tactics used by certain racist groups, and thought that we should rise above that and re-educate rather than lambast, because if we don't then surely we are just as guilty ??

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sun 01 Jul, 2007 11:59 AM Quote
lilly wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
lilly wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

I don't question, I just hope. That's my right as a human being, isn't it.

of course it is, and you should be proud of it.

Lemon Grinner
Lemon Grinner Posted Sun 01 Jul, 2007 12:01 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Lemon Grinner wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

That's fair enough.

Sorry

Yeah, and I know I didn't need to, but I thought it would be nice to do so anyway.

I just thought it was getting a little "heavy", which is exactly the kind of tactics used by certain racist groups, and thought that we should rise above that and re-educate rather than lambast, because if we don't then surely we are just as guilty ??

Re-educating is a better option aye, I agree with yer. But like I said, I like understanding what people are thinking n stuff, find it quite interesting. Not in a patronising way, it just helps me understand the world better.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sun 01 Jul, 2007 12:07 PM Quote
Lemon Grinner wrote:

Re-educating is a better option aye, I agree with yer. But like I said, I like understanding what people are thinking n stuff, find it quite interesting. Not in a patronising way, it just helps me understand the world better.

Yeah I know what you mean, I had an arguement recently with someone who reckoned all killers, rapist, paedo's etc, should be executed. And I was trying to say that we should study them and find out why these things happen, so we could prevent it if possible.

of course there are some exceptions some people are just bad nasty bastards.

Lemon Grinner
Lemon Grinner Posted Sun 01 Jul, 2007 12:11 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Lemon Grinner wrote:

Yeah I know what you mean, I had an arguement recently with someone who reckoned all killers, rapist, paedo's etc, should be executed. And I was trying to say that we should study them and find out why these things happen, so we could prevent it if possible.

of course there are some exceptions some people are just bad nasty bastards.

Yeah preventative measures are in a way much better. I'd just get worried bout people re-offending..

monkey
monkey Posted Sun 01 Jul, 2007 12:34 PM Quote
Mr Brown said that Britain's message to the terrorists must be: "We will not yield, we will not be intimidated and we will not allow anyone to undermine our British way of life."

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/PF/PF_408971_999~Union-Jack-Posters.jpg

feri
feri Posted Sun 01 Jul, 2007 1:30 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

Lol, 'freedom of speech' has become a joke. There is a limit to everything, it's like me saying something anti-semitic and then use the 'Oh it's just my opinion, freedom of speech'.

Esteban
Esteban Posted Sun 01 Jul, 2007 1:34 PM Quote
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) wrote:
Feri:

Irealise you are young but have you actually read much Al Queda and their aims?

Unbelievable, you're questioning someone else about their knowledge of international terrorism after this particular in-depth thesis.

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) wrote:
Two asian guys. Ok i might be jumping to conclusions here but it doesnt take much to link them.

She's 21 according to her profile, old enough in theory to be walking around either with or in her final year of a degree in international politics. How patronising of you!

I'm surprised no-one's picked up with you on this comment, and I read Feri's reply to you that was very dignified, when she'd have had cause to verbally take your head off.

Footnote :- Don't everyone gang up on this Lulu person demanding a response and a justification of what she said. How intimidated do you think she feels now? I don't believe that this is the place where we should look to 'educate' people, there are far more appropriate places for that. It's an internet message board, a bit of fun. Sure, what she said could reflect that she's as racist as it gets, but who are we to be the arbiters of that? I'm sure she never meant any personal offence to anyone on this board, and that she was speaking as someone who was shocked at the events of the day and maybe didn't phrase her thoughts properly. I'm not defending her, just playing devil's advocate to make the expectant waiting gang think for a minute.

lilly
lilly Posted Sun 01 Jul, 2007 2:23 PM Quote
Esteban wrote:

I don't believe that this is the place where we should look to 'educate' people, there are far more appropriate places for that. It's an internet message board, a bit of fun. Sure, what she said could reflect that she's as racist as it gets, but who are we to be the arbiters of that?

I'm sure no one here wants to "educate" her. That's really not our business.
But surely it's important to call her attention(!) to her own words!
Err. And don't you think every place is the place to keep your ears and eyes open for comments that are offending, racist, etc. If we always say "oh, now is not the time" and "this is not the place"... ... ???

Pages Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Next All Times BST Current Time 10:16 PM