Travis

TV Series Boxsets
Peewee
Peewee Posted Wed 08 Jun, 2011 6:38 PM Quote
Does anyone know of any good TV series that are available on Boxset (or even stuff that's on at the mo that I could eventually get). I am so bored of tv. I like something with a bit of meat.

Have order In Treatment Series One so looking forward to that.

What's your favourite TV shows at the minute.

Someone recommended me The Wire but think it's a bit to gritty for my liking. I like something with a wee bit more glamour :-/

Re: TV Series Boxsets
Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Wed 08 Jun, 2011 8:13 PM Quote
The Wire is upposed to be very good but I've also heard it's supposed to reflect other things like the war against terror, etc. Fuck that shit, you wanna make a programme about the war then do so, don't hide this "deeper meaning" bullshit, Yeah like M Night shzabamdoodle's The Village was really all about the invasion of kuwait and how people in the Middle East knew nothing about the outside world and shit.

Presumptuous moronic fuckwits

I have the first four series of House, 1 & 2 are OK but it just gets kinda shit after that. there's the same storylines with a new twist, none of which I can think of so they couldn't have been that memorable.

Same with the Sopranos.

Two of my favourite boxsets would be Dylan Moran and Eddie Izzard not strictly TV but well worth the watching, actually another good one to watch is Early Doors it's a comedy which is fairly bittersweet at times, written by Craig Cash (The Royale Family) but nowhere near as successful due to the lack of big names, However I think that's where it stands out.

Dubz

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Wed 08 Jun, 2011 8:43 PM Quote
I bought the box set of The Addams Family. I have a whole new perspective of the show as an adult than as a kid. It's genius.

*Note: I am speaking of the TV show, not the movies. They were dreadful.

Sunny
Sunny Posted Wed 08 Jun, 2011 8:48 PM Quote

i liked Early Doors too. Eddie and Joan are great.

I'm into The Big Bang Theory at the moment. Some people 'get it', others don't but it is genius in places.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Wed 08 Jun, 2011 9:00 PM Quote
Sunny wrote:

I'm into The Big Bang Theory at the moment. Some people 'get it', others don't but it is genius in places.

Eddie and Joan are brilliant, when the whole pub buys football cards to pay for their phone bill... or when Joan's mother's tortoise dies. Pure Comedy Genius

Dubz

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Wed 08 Jun, 2011 9:03 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Sunny wrote:

Eddie and Joan are brilliant, when the whole pub buys football cards to pay for their phone bill... or when Joan's mother's tortoise dies. Pure Comedy Genius

Dubz

They are probably the most boring, annoying people on the planet but there isn't a bad bone in either's body. Live and let live.

"Do You Like Circus'?"

Dubz

minnmess
minnmess Posted Wed 08 Jun, 2011 10:45 PM Quote
I dont really buy box sets anymore since so much is available online, but some of my favs are Veronica Mars and Dead Like Me.

Sunny
Sunny Posted Thu 09 Jun, 2011 12:05 AM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

"Do You Like Circus'?"

That's ace. Plus Eddie's descriptions of how to get round the temporary traffic lights. Oh, and Tommy's funny too.

hennypenny
hennypenny Posted Thu 09 Jun, 2011 6:31 AM Quote
My favorite tv show right now is Parks & Recreation. It just finished it 3rd season. Also, another great show (recommended to me by Sandy) is Party Down. It was only on for 2 seasons but its really funny.

monkey
monkey Posted Thu 09 Jun, 2011 8:13 AM Quote
Sunny wrote:

BBT IMO is one of the best shows on tv at the moment. Other box sets i watch time and time again are peep show and the inbetweeners.

SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Thu 09 Jun, 2011 3:52 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
The Wire is upposed to be very good but I've also heard it's supposed to reflect other things like the war against terror, etc. Fuck that shit, you wanna make a programme about the war then do so, don't hide this "deeper meaning" bullshit, Yeah like M Night shzabamdoodle's The Village was really all about the invasion of kuwait and how people in the Middle East knew nothing about the outside world and shit.

Dubz

Okay, I saw this whole series, and I didn't get any of that side/deeper meaning stuff at all. The Wire is about drug crime in Baltimore, the police department and their ongoing troubles with that. The content is so incredibly intense, I don't see how anyone can see deeper meaning than what was already there, and if they did, they're just really digging around for it. One of the writers was actually a police reporter and used some of the stories he wrote about in the series. This really is an amazing series--but, it's so heavy, I'm not sure I could watch it again--for a while, anyway.

On a much lighter note, as Lindsay said, Parks & Recreation and Party Down are great. Community is hilarious too. It just finished the 2nd season.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sun 12 Jun, 2011 5:53 PM Quote
Someone gave me "Rome" seasons one & two a while back I quite enjoyed them.

Dubz

varz
varz Posted Sun 12 Jun, 2011 8:31 PM Quote
monkey wrote:
BBT IMO is one of the best shows on tv at the moment. Other box sets i watch time and time again are peep show and the inbetweeners.

The Inbetweeners box set is awesome. I still laugh the whole way through every time. Love it!

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Mon 13 Jun, 2011 6:50 PM Quote
I started watching "Cougar Town" online a few weeks ago, and I never EVER thought I'd like it - but I really do! It's hilarious and exactly the kind of "light entertainment" that I need in between stupid applications...
Modern Family is awesome, too!

The only show I ever bought boxsets of was (YES, I'm a girl) "Gilmore Girls", though ;D

hennypenny
hennypenny Posted Tue 14 Jun, 2011 1:40 AM Quote
thewishlist wrote:

The only show I ever bought boxsets of was (YES, I'm a girl) "Gilmore Girls", though ;D

One of my all-time favorite shows!

Pages [1] 2 3 4 Next All Times BST Current Time 11:08 PM