Travis

What to do about loud neighbours?
TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Sat 15 Jan, 2011 5:10 PM Quote
My neighbour obviously has neighbours in some country far away and therefore he's talking to them on the phone late in the evening, he also does it in a really loud voice on the balcony. Can you complain about this to the landlord? Or should I talk to him directly?

Re: What to do about loud neighbours?
TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Sat 15 Jan, 2011 5:12 PM Quote
I can't understand why he has to do it on the balcony, it sounds like he is in my room, shouting!!!

SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Sat 15 Jan, 2011 5:18 PM Quote
I would say talk to him directly first. Maybe he doesn't realize how loud he is. If he continues to be loud, then talk to the landlord/police/whomever.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 15 Jan, 2011 5:28 PM Quote
Punch him in the face.

Dubz

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Sat 15 Jan, 2011 6:49 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Punch him in the face.

Dubz

Haha!

But seriously why do some people talk in a yelling tone? Maybe it's a cultural thing, but it sounds like he's upset.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 15 Jan, 2011 7:12 PM Quote
TheBoyWithAName wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Punch him in the face.

Dubz

Haha!

But seriously why do some people talk in a yelling tone? Maybe it's a cultural thing, but it sounds like he's upset.

A lot of the time it is a cultural thing, you get it a lot on Dublin buses. Spaniards and Italians do it when just talking to each other, they also sit on opposite sides of the bus and then shout across to each other (worst case I was actually sitting on the aisle seat on a full bus and this daft tart sitting next to me was shouting to her (boy)friend who was also sitting in the opposite window seat with someone sitting in the aisle seat), I've noticed that Africans do it when on the phone. Personally if it was up to me I'd ban mobiles in public places. The other classic is the Dublin skanger who shouts into his/her phone in the most nasal voice ever "'owiye" and then peppers the conversation with "wha'". It takes every ounce of my strength not to scream "It's "wha-t", you fucking ignoramus, It's got a "T" at the end of it for that very reason".

Dubz

monkey
monkey Posted Sat 15 Jan, 2011 8:15 PM Quote
He might be on the the balcony having a smoke?. My housemate would get stressed when making a call to her family back in Poland. She would lean out our bedroom window, phone in one hand and cigarette in the other.i'd get the most amazing view of her even more amazing bum. Good times!

Have a word with the bloke before go running to the landlord

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Sat 15 Jan, 2011 8:51 PM Quote
I'm like mr Quiet myself, except from when I'm playing the keyboard(happens maybe once a week). Once they knocked while I was playing, but it was like 5 PM and it felt a bit unfair due to what they make me put up with. They talk in their loudest tongue all day long on the cellphone or with each other, smoke ín the well, watching movies really loud at 4 AM. etc, I've had it with them.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 15 Jan, 2011 9:42 PM Quote
As Andrew and Sandy have mentioned, have a quiet word, complaining about a keyboard @ 5pm is a bit crappy, but they could work shifts or whatever, you have to put yourself in their position. However they should also put themselves in your position. I try (un-sucessfully at times) to take everyone else's feelings into consideration (again sometimes you consider the situation and decide you're gonna do what the fuck you like anyway.) Some people are just fucking ignorant but try to be amicable and friendly, if they keep pissing you off then take action, with like the landlord or whatever, but try to explaining it to these folks first, they may not realise they are being a nuisense.

Dubz

mili
mili Posted Sat 15 Jan, 2011 10:46 PM Quote
I'd start with a quiet, sensible word with them first. If you feel unable to talk to them, send a note with your name. If all this fails, it's up to the landlord.

If you lived in Finland, nobody would say anything to your face, but complain straight to the landlord (in a situation, when everybody had the same landlord). We've had our fair share of gits next door, normally we would try talking and/or a note, but sometimes you just have to move.*

*like with the case of a semi we bought, where our neighbour would play music in full volume and talk on the phone in the yard in the small hours, despite the fact that we both (i.e. him too) had small children. We left as soon as it was financially possible.

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Sun 16 Jan, 2011 12:52 PM Quote
I've decided that I'll go and talk to him when it happens the next time, I'll let you know the result! Cheers guys!

mili
mili Posted Sun 16 Jan, 2011 1:51 PM Quote
When you talk to him, might be an idea to mention that you can hear every word hew says, People usually don't like to be heard by outsiders when they're on the phone.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Sun 16 Jan, 2011 2:50 PM Quote
Just don't let it go down like this:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5168/5330387248_5de224dfec.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5081/5329776431_ea0bf33089_b.jpg

Monica
Monica Posted Sun 16 Jan, 2011 7:14 PM Quote
We the Spanish speak very loud so I'm used to that.
The neighbour who lives on the upper floor used to listen to music very loud at 8am and she did that day after day until one day my brother told her that if she continued like that he would call the police and since then she hasn't listened to the music loud. However, the noises she and her children make are incredible, even at 2am in the morning :S

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Mon 17 Jan, 2011 3:34 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
Just don't let it go down like this:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5168/5330387248_5de224dfec.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5081/5329776431_ea0bf33089_b.jpg

OMG! I'd never leave a note like that!

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 3:22 PM