Travis

Re: What Boils My Piss Is,,,,,,,,,,,
Sanne (nl)
Sanne (nl) Posted Mon 18 Jun, 2007 3:03 PM Quote
Hanne wrote:
We call it 'dengelsk' lol

We do the same thing with computer-related things. It's not much different from what it was like 200 years ago. We got all our words from French back then cos that was the fashionable language.

If you're very street, you say 'f*ck' and 'nice' all the time.

Yup: F*ck, sweet, What the h*** or f***, ad infinitum. I guess i am a little oldfashioned that way, i like Dutch Dutch.

Hanne
Hanne Posted Mon 18 Jun, 2007 3:04 PM Quote
Well I was told once that if you have to use foreign words it's because you don't know your own language.

I guess that's true to some extent.

Gotta go now, talk later :o)

Natasa
Natasa Posted Mon 18 Jun, 2007 3:21 PM Quote
You guys are weird! :P

Haha!

Esteban
Esteban Posted Mon 18 Jun, 2007 3:36 PM Quote
Another overused word.

Literally.

Everything is literally this or literally that. Bah.

One more, this one probably applies to me alone because of my job, but here it is anyway.

People who cannot say 'texts'. Easy word. However, the most common pronunciation that I come across is, phonetically spelt, 'Texis'.

WHAT ON EARTH?

SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Mon 18 Jun, 2007 4:41 PM Quote
Esteban wrote:
Another overused word.

Literally.

Everything is literally this or literally that. Bah.

oooh! i was just about to say this!
"...yeah, it was so scary, i literally jumped out of my skin!"

no, no you didn't! i hate when ppl say this!

paul_c
paul_c Posted Mon 18 Jun, 2007 5:37 PM Quote
Esteban wrote:
The overuse and abuse of words.

2 examples.

Random. This word is so etched into the vocabulary of people these days that everything is 'random'. I find it hard to believe that everyone who says everything is 'random' truly believes that it is actually 'random', and not governed by fate. So stop saying it. Especially students, you're the worst for it.

Legend. No offence to paul_c, as it's not his own fault that this word is misused so often, but this word is used so loosely now. In my day, a legend was someone like Jesse Owens or Muhammed Ali, now it's one of your mates on a night out who can throw his kebab leftovers from one side of the river to the other. Ridiculous.

Legend

emmahealy
emmahealy Posted Mon 18 Jun, 2007 6:40 PM Quote
Joe wrote:
True. So very true.

Another random (just to give a concrete example of a stupid use of the word) thing that gets right up my nose is the expression: "at the end of the day". It pisses me off for a very simple reason: it's always used to justify selfishness. I'm sure you know what I mean.
"Yes, I stabbed him in the back...but, at the end of the day, it's a dog-eat-dog world".

We every feckin footballer, manager etc. is guilty there..
"its a game of two halves" and "OBVIOUSLY".. I MEAN COMON!!!

Esteban
Esteban Posted Mon 18 Jun, 2007 6:42 PM Quote
paul_c wrote:
Esteban wrote:
The overuse and abuse of words.

2 examples.

Random. This word is so etched into the vocabulary of people these days that everything is 'random'. I find it hard to believe that everyone who says everything is 'random' truly believes that it is actually 'random', and not governed by fate. So stop saying it. Especially students, you're the worst for it.

Legend. No offence to paul_c, as it's not his own fault that this word is misused so often, but this word is used so loosely now. In my day, a legend was someone like Jesse Owens or Muhammed Ali, now it's one of your mates on a night out who can throw his kebab leftovers from one side of the river to the other. Ridiculous.

Legend

=P

cosmic
cosmic Posted Mon 18 Jun, 2007 8:28 PM Quote
yeah i agree ...

i first heard random when i went to uni an then it was used near enough everyday since...now i don't know whats random or just normal haha

at the end of the day as well, i used to just use it to draw a conclusion to something but now its used allll the time ...

and i just dont' get the phrase legend at all ...

Pages Previous 1 [2] All Times BST Current Time 9:15 AM