Travis

What Boils My Piss Is,,,,,,,,,,,
Esteban
Esteban Posted Mon 18 Jun, 2007 2:01 PM Quote
The overuse and abuse of words.

2 examples.

Random. This word is so etched into the vocabulary of people these days that everything is 'random'. I find it hard to believe that everyone who says everything is 'random' truly believes that it is actually 'random', and not governed by fate. So stop saying it. Especially students, you're the worst for it.

Legend. No offence to paul_c, as it's not his own fault that this word is misused so often, but this word is used so loosely now. In my day, a legend was someone like Jesse Owens or Muhammed Ali, now it's one of your mates on a night out who can throw his kebab leftovers from one side of the river to the other. Ridiculous.

Re: What Boils My Piss Is,,,,,,,,,,,
Joe
Joe Posted Mon 18 Jun, 2007 2:09 PM Quote
True. So very true.

Another random (just to give a concrete example of a stupid use of the word) thing that gets right up my nose is the expression: "at the end of the day". It pisses me off for a very simple reason: it's always used to justify selfishness. I'm sure you know what I mean.
"Yes, I stabbed him in the back...but, at the end of the day, it's a dog-eat-dog world".

Sanne (nl)
Sanne (nl) Posted Mon 18 Jun, 2007 2:12 PM Quote
Joe wrote:
True. So very true.

Another random (just to give a concrete example of a stupid use of the word) thing that gets right up my nose is the expression: "at the end of the day". It pisses me off for a very simple reason: it's always used to justify selfishness. I'm sure you know what I mean.
"Yes, I stabbed him in the back...but, at the end of the day, it's a dog-eat-dog world".

Selfishness, ehm....makes me think of Frans request-thread. Put it in writing and send it to him;) you'll never know where it ends up.

Hanne
Hanne Posted Mon 18 Jun, 2007 2:24 PM Quote
'To be honest'. I use it myself, so I'm just as bad. However, when you think about it, it's a stupid phrase. Does it imply that you usually lie about things??

Yulia Nox
Yulia Nox Posted Mon 18 Jun, 2007 2:27 PM Quote
Hanne wrote:
'To be honest'. I use it myself, so I'm just as bad. However, when you think about it, it's a stupid phrase. Does it imply that you usually lie about things??

jajaja xD!!
It's like : "listen to me, I'm telling the truth this time!"

Joe
Joe Posted Mon 18 Jun, 2007 2:27 PM Quote
Another one: "In my opinion". Of course it's in your feckin' opinion! You're the one whose saying it!
It particularly annoys me when someone corrects you (well, me actually, I don't really care if you get corrected).

e.g. I say "that song's shit" and someone says "No, in your opinion that song's shit". Of course it's my sodding opinion! What, do you think it's a feint? "Alright, I'm saying it, but it's actually his opinion.".

Hanne
Hanne Posted Mon 18 Jun, 2007 2:30 PM Quote
Yulia Nox wrote:

jajaja xD!!
It's like : "listen to me, I'm telling the truth this time!"

Yes, not very trustworthy...

Esteban
Esteban Posted Mon 18 Jun, 2007 2:32 PM Quote
Joe wrote:
Another one: "In my opinion". Of course it's in your feckin' opinion! You're the one whose saying it!
It particularly annoys me when someone corrects you (well, me actually, I don't really care if you get corrected).

e.g. I say "that song's shit" and someone says "No, in your opinion that song's shit". Of course it's my sodding opinion! What, do you think it's a feint? "Alright, I'm saying it, but it's actually his opinion.".

Haha yeah, like you should have to preface everything with 'in my opinion'.

Hanne
Hanne Posted Mon 18 Jun, 2007 2:33 PM Quote
Another thing that 'boils my piss' are some very literal translations of English swear words into Danish. Well, a word like 'f*ck' apparantly doesn't need translation. However, 'it pisses me off' is said exactly like that in Danish. You can say that something makes you piss boil or that you're 'pissing mad' but it pisses you off? When you translate that, it sounds like someone is litterally pissing on you :oS

And let me just add that I don't think I've ever used 'piss' this many times in one go before lol

Sky-Blue Puppy
Sky-Blue Puppy Posted Mon 18 Jun, 2007 2:33 PM Quote
Joe wrote:
Another one: "In my opinion".

Gets even worse when they say "in my personal opinion"

Joe
Joe Posted Mon 18 Jun, 2007 2:39 PM Quote
Sky-Blue Puppy wrote:

Gets even worse when they say "in my personal opinion"

Or "in my honest opinion".
Anoher prize piece of shit: "can I just say?".
I always say "no" and walk away when someone pulls that one.

Sky-Blue Puppy
Sky-Blue Puppy Posted Mon 18 Jun, 2007 2:50 PM Quote
Also, when someone asks me to do something and starts by saying 'would you mind doing this', but actually means 'do this', I very often say (or feel tempted to say) 'yes, i do mind and i won't do it', because human beings are by nature lazy, so of course i wouldn't like to disturb my peace :)

Hanne
Hanne Posted Mon 18 Jun, 2007 2:54 PM Quote
"could I ask you a question?"

Now this is really a phrase that you say just to be polite. This is a question in itself and thus it is redundant.

Sanne (nl)
Sanne (nl) Posted Mon 18 Jun, 2007 2:56 PM Quote
Hanne wrote:
Another thing that 'boils my piss' are some very literal translations of English swear words into Danish. Well, a word like 'f*ck' apparantly doesn't need translation. However, 'it pisses me off' is said exactly like that in Danish. You can say that something makes you piss boil or that you're 'pissing mad' but it pisses you off? When you translate that, it sounds like someone is litterally pissing on you :oS

And let me just add that I don't think I've ever used 'piss' this many times in one go before lol

i think the Danish and Dutch are quite simular in that they both aren;t very creative in developing their own language.The Dutch and Danish are what i call, borrowers. Why think up new words if you can "copy" "paste" them? I think every word out of the computerlanguage is copied, tons of swear words. I tell you it is fashionable to speak, Danglish (Dutch of Danish English)

Hanne
Hanne Posted Mon 18 Jun, 2007 3:00 PM Quote
We call it 'dengelsk' lol

We do the same thing with computer-related things. It's not much different from what it was like 200 years ago. We got all our words from French back then cos that was the fashionable language.

If you're very street, you say 'f*ck' and 'nice' all the time.

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 8:33 AM