Travis

FAO Neil: Love your work on Ode...
TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Thu 23 Jul, 2009 8:47 PM Quote
Where do you get your inspiration from? Any favourite drummer or so? :)

Re: FAO Neil: Love your work on Ode...
Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Thu 23 Jul, 2009 9:36 PM Quote
Agree....Friends is precision - but then his skills are perfect for each track as sometimes he is seen and not heard if you know what I mean.....that ain't easy :)

rella
rella Posted Fri 24 Jul, 2009 4:43 PM Quote
Quite right. Love that album.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Fri 24 Jul, 2009 4:58 PM Quote
I totally agree that Neil's work on Ode is fantastic. I don't know if it was the style of the songs or the mix but I found his drumming more noticeable on Ode- in the very best way.

I told Neil this when I saw them in Chicago and he seemed quite pleased. I don't think drummers in general get the respect and admiration they deserve. (said by the wife of one)

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Fri 24 Jul, 2009 6:01 PM Quote
I love that kinda back-beat(probably isn't. but anyway) on Song To Self and everything about his drumming on J. Smith is just ACE! Top shelf!

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Fri 24 Jul, 2009 6:14 PM Quote
I agree with everyone here. One of the very first things that blew me away when I first listened to Ode was the drumming. Brilliant stuff!

Ana_Smith
Ana_Smith Posted Fri 24 Jul, 2009 7:38 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
I don't think drummers in general get the respect and admiration they deserve.

My exact thought, it's cool to see a thread where we can express our appreciation for Neil's skills as a drummer :)
(There are exceptions to the rule but in general even on stage they are way in the back! :P)

The first time I listened to Ode I was taken aback by its sound and much of it had to do with the drums playing a more dominant role without overshadowing any of the other instruments (Long Way Down, Quite Free and Get Up) it's magical and a pleasure to my ears. I can't help but follow the beat with my foot, simply magnificent!

leticia
leticia Posted Fri 24 Jul, 2009 8:26 PM Quote
I agree with all the things that my fellow boardies have said... and I'm going to add that I absolutely LOVE how you play in Indefinitely and Last Words. It's just perfect perfect perfect!

Lord_Conker
Lord_Conker Posted Fri 24 Jul, 2009 10:14 PM Quote
I agree, Neil is very solid on Ode. I like when the drumming kicks in with force in Before You Were Young, after the "I love you I love you" line :)

hennypenny
hennypenny Posted Fri 24 Jul, 2009 10:36 PM Quote
Lord_Conker wrote:
I agree, Neil is very solid on Ode. I like when the drumming kicks in with force in Before You Were Young, after the "I love you I love you" line :)

Yes, fantastic drumming on that song.

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Fri 24 Jul, 2009 10:47 PM Quote
hennypenny wrote:
Lord_Conker wrote:

Yes, fantastic drumming on that song.

I conquer, definetely one of the highlights on the album :)

bogusblue
bogusblue Posted Sat 25 Jul, 2009 6:03 AM Quote
Friends, Big Chair, Writing To Reach You are just a few examples of how good he is. But, I agree, in Ode he exceeded himself. He is indeed a great drummer.

MusicGirl99
MusicGirl99 Posted Sat 25 Jul, 2009 8:59 PM Quote
He's always been fantastic, but these songs bring the drumming front and center. Wonderful job Neil (esp on Get Up). ;)

seasonticket
seasonticket Posted Sun 26 Jul, 2009 11:47 AM Quote
Oh and Long Way Down, that is some SKILL drumming right there. <3

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 3:07 PM