Travis

Familiar?
jambut
jambut Posted Fri 05 Jun, 2009 9:10 PM Quote
Coldplay

Re: Familiar?
BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Fri 05 Jun, 2009 9:42 PM Quote
Are you suggesting Coldplay are copying Travis?

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Fri 05 Jun, 2009 10:00 PM Quote
I think they're copying 2Pac right now.

Nell
Nell Posted Fri 05 Jun, 2009 10:17 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
Are you suggesting Coldplay are copying Travis?

Well if not intentionally - then accidentally - but the timing to do almost the very same thing as Travis did seems quite odd.
So I'm quite sure they know bout the story of J.Smith and guess they just wanna do something alike. And I guess it's ok with Travis - I mean they're friends.

Travis surely doesn't own the right for that idea (making a story round a record - in it or whatever) but to take that idea so early -without mentioning Travis ....well kinda confuses me...

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Fri 05 Jun, 2009 10:20 PM Quote
I think it's ridiculous to assume Coldplay are doing it because Travis did it. Plenty of bands do "concept" albums. Green Day have just done their own story within an album thing. And like J Smith, i've got no idea what the story is. I'm sure it'll be the same with this Coldplay album. :)

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Fri 05 Jun, 2009 10:27 PM Quote
I think that every album is a concept album in one way or another... I've never bothered to try and put the Ode songs in order btw, I enjoy them as they are placed on the album and that's fine with me ;) I don't want to read in too much in music...it shouldn't be served on a silver plate, real music starts within yourself when you get emotionally connected with a track.

Ooops I got a bit carried away there :P

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Fri 05 Jun, 2009 10:33 PM Quote
Travis are front runners ....just sit quietly , not complaining , letting it happen and one day .....will get rewarded , hopefully in my lifetime and theirs. :)

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Fri 05 Jun, 2009 10:37 PM Quote
You're right Alex. I don't take this story aspect seriously.

Somewhere Else wrote:
Travis are front runners ....just sit quietly , not complaining , letting it happen and one day .....will get rewarded , hopefully in my lifetime and theirs. :)

"front runners". You said that about the forest concerts. They weren't with that, and they're not with this. ;) And i don't really get what the rest of what you say means. Surely we're already being rewarded by just being fans of the band.

Next people will be saying Fran invented songs. He didn't invent songs, he just writes the best ones. That's the important thing.

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Fri 05 Jun, 2009 10:42 PM Quote
I don't believe that Travis are in front with anything anymore and I don't think Coldplay are copying them. Concept albums are what bands do when they've done everything else :P Of course bands gets influenced by each other, but there are like zillions of bands out there and fact is that Travis isn't a major act nowadays. We can count ourselves very lucky that we're fans of the best band though ;)

Nell
Nell Posted Fri 05 Jun, 2009 10:52 PM Quote
TheBoyWithAName wrote:
I don't believe that Travis are in front with anything anymore and I don't think Coldplay are copying them. Concept albums are what bands do when they've done everything else :P Of course bands gets influenced by each other, but there are like zillions of bands out there and fact is that Travis isn't a major act nowadays. We can count ourselves very lucky that we're fans of the best band though ;)

yes of course, but here the concept of the album was explicit said. And so did Coldplay - I mean announce it explicit that there's a hidden story...

Well I don't think they're copying it - but the influence is obvious. And if so - why not mention it...that's all I'm saying. No negative connotation in it!!

But well...I don't care. :)

Bout Ode to J. Smith - I thought it was a brilliant idea. I love listening to the record, but I loved fiding out bout the story and I love the kind of version we've got here now. (well I love the story ...and I whish it'd have done more about it ..like videos or else...)

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Fri 05 Jun, 2009 10:55 PM Quote
Just a little note:

Don't trust that everything on the web is true unless it comes directly from the bands homepage.

I just wanted to say that because I often find that artist biographies and news on these kind of pages are incorrect.

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Fri 05 Jun, 2009 11:05 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
You're right Alex. I don't take this story aspect seriously.

Somewhere Else wrote:

"front runners". You said that about the forest concerts. They weren't with that, and they're not with this. ;) And i don't really get what the rest of what you say means. Surely we're already being rewarded by just being fans of the band.

Next people will be saying Fran invented songs. He didn't invent songs, he just writes the best ones. That's the important thing.

Sorry Ben , I write a bit in the dark but yes , matter of fact , makes you right ; from someone who in their early days of music appreciation ( me) always preferred concept albums ( Yes, Wishbone ash , King Crimson , Pink Floyd etc even Al Stewart !! ) but rolling the clock forward and the 'trash ' music that is about , Travis are leading the way back ( in my opinion ) to music that is worth listening to and in the way I feel it is better to listen to music .( organic!?)

I think they are also unique to previous musicians in that they have a style that is consistent, inimitable and outstanding in a way that is not brought about by 'fashion'.

jambut
jambut Posted Fri 05 Jun, 2009 11:44 PM Quote
What I was really saying was as Fran says Travis tend to be in-front of what's popular and we know everyone will be doing lo-fi styley albums if Coldplay pull it off well. Just sad everyone will say Coldplay was the first of the 90s established bands to do it.

Then again 90% of what Mr Martin says is a load of rubbish anyway. Apparently the Viva album was going to have Samba influences :s

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sat 06 Jun, 2009 12:09 AM Quote
But it doesn't say anything about them doing a "lo-fi styley" album at all. Just stripped down. I just don't, myself anyway, see this as Coldplay copying or even being influenced by Travis. Travis aren't recognised as the greatest band ever, in my opinion they're already being short changed when they're considered anything other.

If Coldplay release an album recorded using 16 track machines, and then they start telling fans to think of the story etc, i'll say they copied Travis. :)

Once, Mr Healy said Travis' 5th studio album would be out "June next year" meaning June 2005. He was 23 months out. ;) :P lol

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sat 06 Jun, 2009 10:49 AM Quote
I think that Chris Martin has much better things to do with his time than shadowing Travis. As always, if a concept is made popular then record companies will push similar bands. I'd like to see Chris writing a story through various songs because his lyrics might make a bit more sense then :)

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 1:26 PM