Travis

Life Changes
nickynooboo
nickynooboo Posted Tue 14 Apr, 2009 11:05 AM Quote
I am in the process of making some drastic changes in my life.

As some of you may know, my Father died at the end of last year and it was undoubtedly the saddest time in my life. But, his passing has really had an extrodinary effect on my life. I am 29 years old and I suppose I have been a bit of a drifter never really finding my 'place' in life. When I was 18 I desperately wanted to train to be a nurse, but was told by my college teacher that I didn't have the capability :( My Father's death has helped me to see that life is way too short and precious to waste time on things that aren't important to me. I always wanted to be a nurse and I always wanted to travel.

Now, at the age of 29 I have applied to do a full time nursing degree as of September. I had a letter this morning inviting me for an interview on Wednesday of next week at the University.

I am so, so, so excited. I am so close to fulfilling my dream of getting on the course and it makes me feel so, so, so close to my Dad again :)

Has anyone else ever been inspired to make changes in their life by events or experiences?

Re: Life Changes
Hanne
Hanne Posted Tue 14 Apr, 2009 12:00 PM Quote
I really, really admire the fact that you dare make such a change in your life.

The by far most daring thing I've ever done was to move to Glasgow with no job, hoping to find one. Everything worked out well, but I only stayed for a year. Like you, I'm 29, and maybe your life change could inspire me to pull myself together.

I look forward to hearing more about that interview :)

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Tue 14 Apr, 2009 12:01 PM Quote
A valuable lesson for everyone.

Never let anyone , no matter who. Tell you , you cant do something.

Good luck.

nickynooboo
nickynooboo Posted Tue 14 Apr, 2009 12:28 PM Quote
Thanks, I will let you know how I get on. Fingers crossed eh!??! :)

mili
mili Posted Tue 14 Apr, 2009 12:45 PM Quote
Good luck!

minnmess
minnmess Posted Tue 14 Apr, 2009 1:17 PM Quote
good job Nicky. Way to grab the bull!

Peewee
Peewee Posted Tue 14 Apr, 2009 1:32 PM Quote
Awww Nicky, I'm so happy that you are going ahead with a life dream. Although the circumstances are sad, I'm glad you are finding peace in going for something that would make your Dad soooo happy and proud! That certainly is encouraging. Good Lucky with getting on the course, you will be fab if that's what your heart desires.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Tue 14 Apr, 2009 2:59 PM Quote
Way to go!

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Tue 14 Apr, 2009 3:35 PM Quote
Good for you Nicky. I wish the circumstances that inspired this weren't so sad and painful but it's great that you are doing something positive and good from this hard experience.

I lost three of my grandparents in a really short span of time. My final one (grandma) died a few years later. This combined with other deaths of people really close to me definitely made me realize that you need to live your life with the knowledge that you never know when you're going to lose somebody so say what you want to say to them- let them know what they mean to you. Also for yourself you need to pursue your dreams.

I have a dear friend who is only 34 who is dealing with a very serious form of cancer. She has three kids under the age of 5. This has been incredibly difficult and frightening and it drives home the point even more - go for what you want. You might think you are young and have time but you really never know.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 14 Apr, 2009 3:59 PM Quote

Go For It !!!

Best of Luck.

Dubz

SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Tue 14 Apr, 2009 4:07 PM Quote
Aww, good for you, Nicky!!

nickynooboo
nickynooboo Posted Tue 14 Apr, 2009 5:17 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
Good for you Nicky. I wish the circumstances that inspired this weren't so sad and painful but it's great that you are doing something positive and good from this hard experience.

I lost three of my grandparents in a really short span of time. My final one (grandma) died a few years later. This combined with other deaths of people really close to me definitely made me realize that you need to live your life with the knowledge that you never know when you're going to lose somebody so say what you want to say to them- let them know what they mean to you. Also for yourself you need to pursue your dreams.

I have a dear friend who is only 34 who is dealing with a very serious form of cancer. She has three kids under the age of 5. This has been incredibly difficult and frightening and it drives home the point even more - go for what you want. You might think you are young and have time but you really never know.

That is so true. I feel like the last ten years have run away from me and now is my chance to get control again!! I am lucky that I had such a close relationship with my Dad and he had so much faith in me that it has inspired me to FINALLY reach for my dreams.

Thanks everyone, I will let you know how Weds next week goes....I am still sooooo excited :)

Rammsfer
Rammsfer Posted Tue 14 Apr, 2009 6:34 PM Quote
Follow your dreams...

fenchurch
fenchurch Posted Tue 14 Apr, 2009 7:33 PM Quote
Well done Nicky. I really hope I have the courage to go for what I want like you, and other people on the board. I really want to live in London, I hope I make it there after college!

hennypenny
hennypenny Posted Wed 15 Apr, 2009 2:26 AM Quote
Good luck Nicky:)

Pages [1] 2 3 Next All Times BST Current Time 5:16 AM