Travis

I <3 Manchester thread
Helen *the original*
Helen *the original* Posted Wed 04 Mar, 2009 7:41 PM Quote
I'm a Manchester (technically Salford) girl and i just want to say how much i love living here. I just find our city amazing, the shops, the clubs, the music, the architecture, the history, even some of the people. I really do have pride in my hometown, the "Capital of the North".

We have great music with bands such as Oasis, The Stone Roses, The Seahorses, Happy Mondays, Joy Division, New Order, Doves, Simply Red (ahem), A Certain Ratio, Badly Drawn Boy, James, The Ting Tings, Inspiral Carpets, The Smiths and er Take That.

Our inventions: The Spinning Jenny, The first modern artifical waterway (that runs through the town where i live), John Dalton who came up with the first table of atomic weights of elements and atomic theory, The computer, the bouncing bomb. Even Mr. Rolls and Mr. Royce met in our Midland Hotel and became Roll-Royce.

We've re-built our city twice and have held the Commonwealth Games. We have two premiership football teams

I thought i'd share the appreciation of my town in the words of the late, great, Tony Wilson:

"In the North-West it rains and it rains. And yet we managed to produce the industrial revolution, Trade union movement, the Communist Manifesto and even the goddam computer. Down south, where the sun never sets, you took all our money and what did you produce? Chas and f*cking Dave."

And this is a random song that makes me laugh:

The Manchester Rap by The Bosnians

I DO NOT sound like this by the way! Ha ha.

I know there are a few here that love my city and i can't see me ever moving away. It has it's problems like most places and most of my friends would be happy living abroad but where i live, i love it. And there's always something that you've never spotted before.

http://www.meetengland.com/meetthecities/assets/images/cities/manchester/main_image_manchester.jpg

http://www.chinalink.org.uk/img/Manchester%20Skyline.GIF

So this is a random post but i just wondered whether all of you guys feel this way about the places that you live? And if you love my city!

Re: I <3 Manchester thread
Lemon Grinner
Lemon Grinner Posted Wed 04 Mar, 2009 8:06 PM Quote
You (and everyone else in the world) knows I love Manchester!! :D :D

<3 <3 <3

Helen *the original*
Helen *the original* Posted Wed 04 Mar, 2009 8:09 PM Quote
It was done all for you Grin! Ha ha. Just off down to my local, who knows a mid-week trip to town could take place! Woo!

barlickbabe
barlickbabe Posted Wed 04 Mar, 2009 8:13 PM Quote
I live half way between Manchester and Leeds and I love Manchester. I haven't been since last summer.
I lived in Manchester, up near Rusholme when I was at Uni.There's just something great and unique about northern cities. I love the multicultural feel that Manchester has, the fabulous art galleries and museums and I love to eat Meze at Katsouris deli on Deansgate.Be proud of your city.

Rammsfer
Rammsfer Posted Wed 04 Mar, 2009 8:45 PM Quote
Just one word: Oasis

Thank you, Manchester!

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Wed 04 Mar, 2009 9:05 PM Quote
I hope I get a chance to see Manchester if I'll ever go on a trip to England! It looks and "sounds" great :)

mili
mili Posted Wed 04 Mar, 2009 9:19 PM Quote
Quite like your airport, we fly there on our way to Yorkshire about twice a year. Only been to the bus station once and watched the city from the motorway (Trafford centre looks pretty amazing). Maybe one day we'll actually go into the city.

Helen *the original*
Helen *the original* Posted Fri 06 Mar, 2009 10:10 PM Quote
You see, how many places can do this. You get to the pub in time for 2 drinks and feel really in the mood for a good dance and sing song, so you make the last minute decision to go into Mancheste. You then fall into The Ritz for Love Train night and dance to 70s music, where people are dressed up doing 70s clothes doing 70s dance impressions! Superb! Even had some lad trying his hardest to fit in by doing a Liam Gallagher style Manc accent but just sticking out really badly. Trying to do a Manc accent when you're talking to someone from Manchester isn't the best idea! Ha ha

Lemon Grinner
Lemon Grinner Posted Fri 06 Mar, 2009 10:17 PM Quote
Helen *the original* wrote:
Trying to do a Manc accent when you're talking to someone from Manchester isn't the best idea! Ha ha

Hahaha I do that all the time...

MusicGirl99
MusicGirl99 Posted Sun 08 Mar, 2009 6:32 PM Quote
Helen *the original* wrote:

And there's always something that you've never spotted before.

That's certainly true. And I love your city too. :)

Monica
Monica Posted Mon 09 Mar, 2009 5:57 PM Quote
Manchester is one of the cities that is on my mind to go this summer to learn some English ^^

Helen *the original*
Helen *the original* Posted Thu 12 Mar, 2009 10:10 PM Quote
The place changes on you all the time. I ventured out on a monday night this week (this is becoming a new thing, mid-week town drinking!) and we went to one of our usual weekend places. There was such a mix of people out that you wouldn't normally meet on a weekend. I guess that happens in most places when you change nights but it was just nice to know that the places that we come to find as "typical" can even change on you.

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 9:59 AM