Travis

Re: The UK Still Loves You!!
the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Fri 06 Mar, 2009 7:33 PM Quote
Somewhere Else wrote:
If you compare Travis to some of their rivals of the last 3 to 4 years , you will see a number have disappeared completely - not so Travis! and what is more , their music is branching out in new directions as well as providing more of the stuff the original supporters of Travis like. I can't imagine what they have got in store for us next but you can bet it will be very good.

I dunno, I think that most people would assume that Travis had disappeared :S

The problem is that there are a vast number of bands who are constantly touring and self-promoting and unless Travis do that then they won't make any headway popularity-wise. Frankly, I don't think they mind but it would be great to see them write an amazing tune and storm the charts like never before... or even just have one single played on the radio when I was listening.

And yeah, Starsailor seem to be back in vogue, I always thought they weren't very popular but... wrong again!

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Fri 06 Mar, 2009 11:54 PM Quote
Unfortunately it's true. I'm sure there are plenty of those bands around still making music but like most people have with Travis, people have forgotten them.

Starsailor have sort of forced their way back into peoples minds, and there is no reason why Travis can't. I'd be very interested to see where that Starsailor album gets to. Remember, Ode reached #20. I really can't see Travis' next album chart lower than that, it would be incredible. Even with Ode, i thought they'd reach top 5, possibly higher. I think they will release a single that will HIT one day, and i don't think any of us will be able to predict it. Some song will just do it. I'm not after Travis being a huge band, but an album to reach platinum sales would be lovely. 12 Memories sales that would be. :)

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sat 07 Mar, 2009 9:22 AM Quote
If we have 6 more albums to go then it would be a bit dull if they all chart at #37 or something. Radio-friendly isn't exactly the Travis way though, is it? We do need one brilliant and catchy song before people will start to notice them again though.

...or maybe they could buy a rain-seeding machine and go for a Glastonbury repeat? :P

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Sat 07 Mar, 2009 11:17 AM Quote
To complete the circle :) I think the single hits are there on the album , it seems to be more about majical timing , fashion , mood and coding in to 'repeat' airplay, that brings the hit status. I would like to hear more of Travis's new stuff on the radio. Why do dj's just play the old stuff? !

Quite Free for summertime and BYWY at Christmas would stand a chance.Given the upside down back to front confusion in the music industry , then they could release those two in any year they choose !

deebee
deebee Posted Sat 07 Mar, 2009 11:53 AM Quote
Haha I always think of Quite Free as a summer song too. I can just imagine myself driving around in the sunshine in an open top convertable. Only problem, I haven't got a flashy car and the weather's freezing at the moment, LOL!!!

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Sat 07 Mar, 2009 12:47 PM Quote
Maybe Fran needs to start dressing in a french revolution jacket and sing about Jerusalem bells from the bottom of his polypus :P

Tonie
Tonie Posted Tue 10 Mar, 2009 11:34 AM Quote
I've read this thread a few times now, and it leaves me a bit confused.

I am feeling a bit snubbed by the band, and would love to be proven wrong by the band about how I'm feeling.

Surely, given that there have been 2 new albums in 2 years, they should be touring the UK more, not less.

I don't know if it's anything to do with the type of audience we are. Let's face it, Travis are from the UK, so there's no surprises if we are a bit more reserved, although that's not how I sense we are.

And I'm not saying that they shouldn't tour overseas. That would be wrong on every level, and it's not what I'm thinking.

I just sense a conscious decision to ignore the UK, from a live perspective, and I don't get it.

Can anyone cure my hurt feelings please?

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Tue 10 Mar, 2009 3:04 PM Quote
What confuses me is this lack of UK festival gigs. Why aren't they doing Glastonbury? In some places they were named 'Band Of The Festival' at V Festival last year. I think if they did the 3 main festivals here it would help.

I don't think there's a problem with touring the UK. They've done quite a few since their return 2 years ago. But not that many. Maybe just below what you'd expect.

They seem to tour for a month, stop for a month, tour for a month, stop for a month. I wonder whether they're home in that time, or together making new music for the next album. :)

Tonie
Tonie Posted Tue 10 Mar, 2009 3:18 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:

I don't think there's a problem with touring the UK. They've done quite a few since their return 2 years ago. But not that many. Maybe just below what you'd expect.

Compared with other UK based acts that I follow, it's depressingly low. And the ratio of gigs to music released puts them right down there. Really poor, in fact. And I'm very sad!!!

I love seeing Travis live, but it's been 2 years since I last saw them in London, and to my knowledge, they've only done 1 London gig since that time. How can they promote their abundant material if they don't perform live?

(ps. quick change of topic while I remember: Ben, that Merchant stand up gig. It was you that was interested, wasn't it? TBH it was a bit bad. Will update you on the comedy thread or maybe by pm after work)

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Tue 10 Mar, 2009 3:38 PM Quote
I've seen them 4 times in these 2 years. You'll have to travel outside London maybe. Maybe they should do more gigs here, I don't know.

Steve Merchant is genius and I love him. ;)

deebee
deebee Posted Tue 10 Mar, 2009 5:04 PM Quote
I definately think that us fans have to travel further to see them play. I've been back twice to the UK to catch them live because they don't play alot in France and when they do, they usually only come to Paris (I live much further south). There have been quite a few UK dates but we're greedy and always want more,LOL!!
As for taking breaks, that's completely understandable. They're no longer young 20 year olds with no responsabilities (sorry guys, I'm not saying you're old :-P) They need time with their families in between touring.

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Wed 11 Mar, 2009 10:02 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
They seem to tour for a month, stop for a month, tour for a month, stop for a month. I wonder whether they're home in that time, or together making new music for the next album. :)

Hehe Ben ...I'm not having a go but when I read that I thought you may branch in to ......"and whether they wear socks in the house , or is the loo roll pink " :)

Only kiddin ...tis signature of a real fan :)

Pages Previous 1 [2] All Times BST Current Time 12:01 AM