Travis

The UK Still Loves You!!
Safe Side
Safe Side Posted Wed 04 Mar, 2009 2:47 PM Quote
After seen the amazing reaction the guys are gettin all over the world especially in Korea WOW that was amazing!! , i wonder if the guys wont bother touring the uk much for a while since ppl here seem to be to cool for travis!!! id love another uk ode tour as they seem to be at the top of their game!........They could do somthing like idlewild just done and play a run of gigs at a small venue King Tuts for example and play a album a night Idlewild done this and it was great plus it was for charity .....this would be cool cause the 10th anniversay of The Man Who is coming up, but if thats not possible just come back for a scottish show !!!! ...phew thats me got all my jealously at the world out haha

Re: The UK Still Loves You!!
deebee
deebee Posted Wed 04 Mar, 2009 3:01 PM Quote
It's funny because the same thought crossed my mind. If they're getting such a warm welcome in these faraway places, they won't want to play anymore for the British crowds who sometimes can be more controlled in showing their emotions :-S
The videos of Korea are wonderful and it must have made them feel so appreciated, as they are!!!

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Wed 04 Mar, 2009 3:05 PM Quote
While it's true that Korea had a great crowd, it was the only one in Korea right? When they toured here they did 12 nights. It's certainly true that people don't realise quite what it's like here. Travis are never mentioned on TV or radio. It's quite ridiculous. But still with no promotion the band performed 12 gigs and the album reached number 20. So it isn't too bad. They won't stop touring here. :)

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Wed 04 Mar, 2009 3:11 PM Quote
deebee wrote:
British crowds who sometimes can be more controlled in showing their emotions :-S

What British concerts you been to? Certainly not the ones I have been to. Though certainly the crowds for Travis on the last tour was quiet. I just wish Travis fans here were as loud as the Feeder fans or The Killers' fans last night.

fenchurch
fenchurch Posted Wed 04 Mar, 2009 3:49 PM Quote
They've done a good few gigs in Britain in the past year, don't forget about Ireland!

deebee
deebee Posted Wed 04 Mar, 2009 5:28 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
deebee wrote:
British crowds who sometimes can be more controlled in showing their emotions :-S

What British concerts you been to? Certainly not the ones I have been to. Though certainly the crowds for Travis on the last tour was quiet. I just wish Travis fans here were as loud as the Feeder fans or The Killers' fans last night.

No we weren't at the same gigs Ben. I actually thought that the London lot were brilliant last October. I originally thought that the Uk crowds, in general, were quite enthusiastic until I saw coverage of the gigs held in Korea, Japan etc. The atmosphere just seemed to give me the shivers and that's just from watching a screen so actually being there must have been undescribable!

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Wed 04 Mar, 2009 5:53 PM Quote
deebee wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:
deebee wrote:

No we weren't at the same gigs Ben. I actually thought that the London lot were brilliant last October. I originally thought that the Uk crowds, in general, were quite enthusiastic until I saw coverage of the gigs held in Korea, Japan etc. The atmosphere just seemed to give me the shivers and that's just from watching a screen so actually being there must have been undescribable!

The Wolverhampton gig was quiet and it was quite difficult to sing sometimes because it felt as if i was being weird. But a few weeks later i saw Feeder and it was unbelievable. Everyone was singing at the top of their voices and jumping around as if their life depended on it. As was the Kaiser Chiefs gig i went to. Fran, if you're reading this, i think a Leicester crowd is going to go wild if the 3 i've been to here is anything to go by. ;)

deebee
deebee Posted Thu 05 Mar, 2009 11:45 AM Quote
So Ben, how come people from Leicester are so wild??? Is it something in the water? :-P

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Thu 05 Mar, 2009 2:26 PM Quote
We're just desperate to have Travis visit us. :)

I'm being a bit greedy. Most people want Travis to visit their country and I'm saying 'visit my city'! lol :)

Safe Side
Safe Side Posted Thu 05 Mar, 2009 3:57 PM Quote
I think its really weird how its like Travis never existed they were the biggest band in the UK for 3 years and now they cant get there vids played on TV its totally bizzare... i was just thinking about not playin the UK for awhile cause i remember neil sayin somthing about it not being worth it. ...Glasgow crowds always go crazy for Traivs but some other places are a bit quiet. I just cant belive they will only play hometown gigs once on this tour , i suppose when they were at there peak the UK was the biggest market so they had to play loads of gigs but i was two young then!! i need it now haha glad that they can still play to massive crowds in some places tho they deserve it

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Thu 05 Mar, 2009 4:08 PM Quote
No, Neil didn't question whether it was worth touring the UK, he questioned whether it was worth touring. Because after the interview was posted our American friends were worried they wouldn't tour America. He wasn't talking about the UK. I was at their Sherwood Forest gig in Nottingham and the crowd were great. ;) They won't stop playing their home countries. :)

But you're right. It's amazing how they can go from being the biggest band in the country selling more albums here than any Coldplay, Keane, Snow Patrol album ever has or ever will and now to not hitting the top 100 in the singles chart... in the space of 6 years. More people go to watch Arsenal every week than people in the whole of the UK have bought Ode.

Tonie
Tonie Posted Fri 06 Mar, 2009 8:31 AM Quote
I agree with the sentiments here. It's great that Travis is having success overseas. But I don't get why they're seemingly reluctant to play here.

I'd love to know why there has only been one UK tour to support Ode. (which might also address the comment about so few people owning the album!)

Even if they play small venues and get a few hundred dedicated fans at each, that has to be better than nothing at all....doesn't it?

I don't care so much for festivals, and open air affairs, where there are 20 other acts on the bill that I'm not interested in.

The reality, as far as I'm aware, is that they played London once in October to launch Ode, and it's not enough! (especially as I couldn't make it, so I'm particularly desperate!!!)

Ursina
Ursina Posted Fri 06 Mar, 2009 12:13 PM Quote
Tonie wrote:
I agree with the sentiments here. It's great that Travis is having success overseas. But I don't get why they're seemingly reluctant to play here.

I'd love to know why there has only been one UK tour to support Ode. (which might also address the comment about so few people owning the album!)

Even if they play small venues and get a few hundred dedicated fans at each, that has to be better than nothing at all....doesn't it?

I don't care so much for festivals, and open air affairs, where there are 20 other acts on the bill that I'm not interested in.

The reality, as far as I'm aware, is that they played London once in October to launch Ode, and it's not enough! (especially as I couldn't make it, so I'm particularly desperate!!!)

same here, I usually manage to catch Travis either here in Cheeseland or in Glasgow as I'm there quite a lot but lately there were no gigs in either :(

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Fri 06 Mar, 2009 6:03 PM Quote
I think the important thing to rememeber is that the music canvas has changed and Bands dont follow a typical course any more; or at least a predictable one.

If you compare Travis to some of their rivals of the last 3 to 4 years , you will see a number have disappeared completely - not so Travis! and what is more , their music is branching out in new directions as well as providing more of the stuff the original supporters of Travis like. I can't imagine what they have got in store for us next but you can bet it will be very good.

They are more popular abroad - Fact .... and I dont know about you but if it were me , I'd be lapping it up!

They love being here as well. We do seem to be more fickle with music as a nation though(and unpredictable.)

Safe Side
Safe Side Posted Fri 06 Mar, 2009 7:21 PM Quote
We certianly are unpredictable, i just saw the new Starsailor vid on MTV2 (a ubercool network) i couldnt belive it as they were dismissed as a sort of even less cool and less talented Travis .... very strange

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 11:19 PM