Travis

Is Cursive Writing Important Anymore?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Fri 20 Feb, 2009 3:28 PM Quote
I just watched Is Cursive Dying Off? and thought it was a question worth exploring.

Aside from signing my name, I usually print. Most forms ask you to print. All upper grade essays must be typed. I can't think of many instances where knowing cursive is of use to me anymore. Other than it looks pretty.

Do you think people need to learn cursive writing anymore?
Why/why not?

Re: Is Cursive Writing Important Anymore?
Moray
Moray Posted Fri 20 Feb, 2009 3:32 PM Quote
Hell Damn Fart - I love cursive writing!

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Fri 20 Feb, 2009 3:33 PM Quote
Moray wrote:
Hell Damn Fart - I love cursive writing!

I've heard you're really good at it, too. ;o)

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Fri 20 Feb, 2009 3:37 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
I just watched Is Cursive Dying Off? and thought it was a question worth exploring.

Aside from signing my name, I usually print. Most forms ask you to print. All upper grade essays must be typed. I can't think of many instances where knowing cursive is of use to me anymore. Other than it looks pretty.

Do you think people need to learn cursive writing anymore?
Why/why not?

I honestly don't know. I print everything apart from my signature but that is mainly because my teachers told me my handwriting was like "A chicken had walked across the page" so I find it easier just to print stuff at least that way it's legible. My handwriting has since been commented on as being very nice ("for a guy"!!). However I imagine that letters/cards and such (espec to loved ones) would seem a little less personal if printed.

So I reckon it should still be taught, just because I can't do it doesn't mean others should be left out.

Dubz

DAKOTA
DAKOTA Posted Fri 20 Feb, 2009 3:40 PM Quote
I don't know if it's important or not, but I like it. I decided last year that I was going to start writing in cursive for everything (Except where it tells me not to, of course) I write a lot of stories and they're pretty much all handwritten before I type them out.
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll144/manicdak345/writing.jpg

This is my (everyday) handwriting. :)

I think it's important to learn if only so you're able to read it should you come across it one day. Heh. I also like it because it's faster. You don't have to pick up the pen in between letters when you have to write a lot....Though on my quest to bring back cursive I did have to relearn how to do a capital "Q" I wanted to do it right this time around and that was one I always had trouble with. ;)

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Fri 20 Feb, 2009 3:42 PM Quote
I use cursive writing when I'm taking class notes.
But you're right, everything is typed nowadays.

Someone told me once (I can't remember who) that cursive writing is important in the development of the personality of kids. Something about having a style of your own, that sort of thing.

fenchurch
fenchurch Posted Fri 20 Feb, 2009 3:43 PM Quote
I always find it's quicker, although I usually print. But I still think it's important to learn (although I hated learning it cos you had to do it the EXACT way the book did and I always wanted to personalise it). I mean, what if next year people started talking about do we need to write at all? I don't think things will get that drastic but with computers becoming so popular and necessary everywhere it's not hard to imagine.

SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Fri 20 Feb, 2009 3:52 PM Quote
I mostly print, but sometimes, my handwriting looks like a print-cursive combo. I also write differently with a pen vs. a pencil. I like my pencil writing better. Is that just me?

My nephew hasn't started cursive writing yet, but when he does, he calls it "Spanish Writing." I don't know where he got that from...He thinks that fancy = Spanish!

ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Fri 20 Feb, 2009 5:16 PM Quote
On the SAT you have to write a sentence in cursive because it's suppose to be a signature. The sentence states that you won't cheap... etc.

People were seriously freaking out when they got to the section.
"CURSIVE? I CAN'T WRITE IN CURSIVE!"

mili
mili Posted Fri 20 Feb, 2009 5:36 PM Quote
I find it interesting that people from different countries have different cursive. I once had a penpal from England and later got to know more British people, and you can tell that all of their cursives are based on the same model. The Finnish model changed recently, so my kids will have totally different cursive to mine (closer to printing).
I use mine all the time, bur most of the time I can't read it few days later. I always got notes at school of my poor handwriting.
I think it's important that people can write pretty quickly even when not at the computer, so yes, its still important.

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Fri 20 Feb, 2009 5:47 PM Quote
Am I the only person who didn't know what cursive writing was until reading this? Looks like my idea of "joined-up writing" is a bit primary school :) [just seen that wiki says this is the UK phrase, phew!]

I prefer handwriting to typing, it's easier to jot things down. I normally write essays out by hand first before typing it because otherwise it takes twice as long - I've never known why, though there may be a greater link between distractions and computers than with blank sheets of paper.

Fair enough if you can print very quickly and legibly but otherwise I can't see kids at school getting by without handwriting cursively.

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Fri 20 Feb, 2009 5:51 PM Quote
mili wrote:
I find it interesting that people from different countries have different cursive. I once had a penpal from England and later got to know more British people, and you can tell that all of their cursives are based on the same model. The Finnish model changed recently, so my kids will have totally different cursive to mine (closer to printing).

Our French assistant writes in a very French way, I couldn't tell you the exact differences but it's definitely not an English person's writing :)

Does Finland have a national cursive model or is it the schools that decide? Do we have one? :S

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Fri 20 Feb, 2009 6:01 PM Quote
I didn't know that countries had different types of cursive writing. I thought every person writes differently, no matter the country.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Fri 20 Feb, 2009 6:06 PM Quote
http://www.upub.net/images/desk_card_c.gif

This is a fairly good example of what we were taught in the US, except I was taught to put small loops at the beginning of my "canes" on capital letters like K, H, M, N, and on the top thingys of my T and F. Maybe they don't do the loops anymore.

Other countries do write differently, but someone else will have to point out the differences, since I'm not that familiar with it.

**Edit: I just noticed a major difference. LOOK AT THE Q! The way I was taught, the capital Q looks like a squiggly number 2.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Fri 20 Feb, 2009 6:09 PM Quote
I always write in cursive. I find print much harder and time consuming. I guess I am weird but that is no surprise.

Dak your handwriting is gorgeous!! And Juli's is too though she will deny it. Moray's is....precious.

I get compliments on mine all the time which is funny since in elementary school I was verbally assaulted by my teachers over my handwriting and I wasn't allowed to use a pen because it was so poor.

Suck on that Ms. Anderson!!!

I too have noticed how different countries have different styles. It's neat to see.

I think typing skills should be taught but I still think cursive should be taught, at least on a small scale.

What is also funny to me is that my son is very anxious to learn cursive. Now that I think about it it might be because he can't read what I write! If I write something for him I have to very consciously think about printing and it feels so unnatural. He kept asking "when will I get to learn cursive?" so we wrote out the letters on flash cards. He has just started teaching himself and is actually pretty good at it!

Pages [1] 2 3 Next All Times BST Current Time 1:46 PM