Travis

Re: College.
Lucile
Lucile Posted Mon 16 Feb, 2009 9:50 AM Quote
I completed my masters degree in English language and linguistics. I'm now working on a PhD in English linguistics / phonology.

We have minors in France but only until the third year. You can also do double majors.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Mon 16 Feb, 2009 12:58 PM Quote
velouria wrote:

Haha. That's cool. It's interesting to see the different systems that other countries have. I have really been on the fence about the Sociology major, what do you plan on doing with it?

Ahh, it's tough. Here in Argentina, the most profitable thing you can do with a Sociology degree is political consultancy, market research and/or public opinion consultancy. I'm more into historical sociology research. I'd like to do research into social, cultural and historical issues. Or work for a NGO.
I'm currently working in public administration. It's a nice job, and it's kind of Sociology related, but it's not something I'd like to do my whole life.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Mon 16 Feb, 2009 2:12 PM Quote
I went on the G I bill and didn't pay a dime . I recommend Jr college to do all general requirements .

kiwi
kiwi Posted Mon 16 Feb, 2009 3:55 PM Quote
I'm currently doing Archaeology and Prehistory. It's single honours archaeology, with the focus on prehistoric archaeology, not a major/minor degree.

Most people don't end up doing arch as a career though.. too poorly paid... I'm probably going into Heritage Conservation when I graduate.

Steph_canuck
Steph_canuck Posted Tue 17 Feb, 2009 1:50 AM Quote
kiwi wrote:
I'm currently doing Archaeology and Prehistory. It's single honours archaeology, with the focus on prehistoric archaeology, not a major/minor degree.

Most people don't end up doing arch as a career though.. too poorly paid... I'm probably going into Heritage Conservation when I graduate.

Yeeeah! go anth/arch!
Well I dont know about other places, but here (in Ontario at least) before any buildings can be made, and archaeological assessment has to take place, and if there is pre/historical merit there has to be an excavation. This, although starting out isnt an extraordianry job, is in the field. I might be participating in this over the summer, mind you I get to clean artifacts all day...but still...

kiwi
kiwi Posted Tue 17 Feb, 2009 4:18 PM Quote
Steph_canuck wrote:
kiwi wrote:

Yeeeah! go anth/arch!
Well I dont know about other places, but here (in Ontario at least) before any buildings can be made, and archaeological assessment has to take place, and if there is pre/historical merit there has to be an excavation. This, although starting out isnt an extraordianry job, is in the field. I might be participating in this over the summer, mind you I get to clean artifacts all day...but still...

Represent! Haha.

Oh yeah, they pretty much always have to do that here first, or at least a watching brief (pegs not ever having to do one of those). Haha, yeah archaeology always sounds fun... but isn't very glamourous... I worked on a bronze age barrow site last summer, and spent 2 weeks sieving... it seems pointless but at the end of it i could actually recognise artefacts quite well... so the mind numbing monotony does have a point!!

Steph_canuck
Steph_canuck Posted Tue 17 Feb, 2009 4:36 PM Quote
kiwi wrote:
Steph_canuck wrote:
kiwi wrote:

Yeeeah! go anth/arch!

Represent! Haha.

Oh yeah, they pretty much always have to do that here first, or at least a watching brief (pegs not ever having to do one of those). Haha, yeah archaeology always sounds fun... but isn't very glamourous... I worked on a bronze age barrow site last summer, and spent 2 weeks sieving... it seems pointless but at the end of it i could actually recognise artefacts quite well... so the mind numbing monotony does have a point!!

bronze age eh? where did you do that. Iv only handled precontact native goods..stone tools and such, as well as a pretty boring english fort in my home town (around c. 1800). although im working in a forensic arch lab where we are looking at british soldiers from a fort in New York state (fort william henry)who were killed by the natives (as seen in the movie last of the mohicans lol) and thats kinda cool.

kiwi
kiwi Posted Tue 17 Feb, 2009 5:37 PM Quote
Steph_canuck wrote:
kiwi wrote:
Steph_canuck wrote:
kiwi wrote:

Yeeeah! go anth/arch!

Represent! Haha.

bronze age eh? where did you do that. Iv only handled precontact native goods..stone tools and such, as well as a pretty boring english fort in my home town (around c. 1800). although im working in a forensic arch lab where we are looking at british soldiers from a fort in New York state (fort william henry)who were killed by the natives (as seen in the movie last of the mohicans lol) and thats kinda cool.

I did that in Dorset, southern England, my uni has a few field schools here... there was also an Anglo-Saxon burial ground right next to it, and a Beaker settlement under the barrow... so it was something like 6,000 years of continuous use in one wee site.
Really?! How cool is that. What have you found? I should tell my friend who does Arch and Forensics. You're lucky, your pre-contact stuff is so much more interesting than NZ by the sounds too, I did Anth in NZ and it was just midden piles and seasonal sites *snore*.

Steph_canuck
Steph_canuck Posted Tue 17 Feb, 2009 6:55 PM Quote
kiwi wrote:
Steph_canuck wrote:
kiwi wrote:
Steph_canuck wrote:
kiwi wrote:

Yeeeah! go anth/arch!

Represent! Haha.

I did that in Dorset, southern England, my uni has a few field schools here... there was also an Anglo-Saxon burial ground right next to it, and a Beaker settlement under the barrow... so it was something like 6,000 years of continuous use in one wee site.
Really?! How cool is that. What have you found? I should tell my friend who does Arch and Forensics. You're lucky, your pre-contact stuff is so much more interesting than NZ by the sounds too, I did Anth in NZ and it was just midden piles and seasonal sites *snore*.

Yeahhhh, nooo.. its not that intresting... I havent really found anything. usually people find, like, hearths, and post holes that might have been a longhouse...or not...and the stone flakes...not the actual stone tools, just the flakes...the thing with precontact natives sites is that they dont really have metal, so we can only really find the stone, all other things rot away.

Cynthia
Cynthia Posted Thu 19 Feb, 2009 4:49 PM Quote
I graduated in 2003 and majored in music education with a minor in secondary education. I had concentrations in saxophone performance and music history.

Pages Previous 1 [2] All Times BST Current Time 2:58 AM