Travis

Glorious Misuse of Company Money
Moray
Moray Posted Tue 10 Feb, 2009 9:41 PM Quote
Hey Board!

I've just returned from a 5 day jaunt on some Oil & Gas platforms in the North Sea. Thought I'd share this little gem, as it really made me laugh.

I was due to shuttle offshore yesterday to what they call a 'Normally Unmanned Installation'. Basically what this means is that nobody ever 'lives' on these platforms, as they're too small to warrant a crew. You just come on in the morning, do what needs done, and then leave again in the afternoon. Which was fine, as thats what myself and 7 other people also visiting the platform were planning on doing. We arrived no problem yesterday morning on the helicopter, however by late afternoon the bad weather had really closed in, such that the helicopters couldn't fly out to pick us up and take us back to dry land. Consiquently we were stranded for the night. These Installations come with very basic emergency provisions for these sorts of eventualities - 3 bunk beds of with three layers for kipping in, no shower a microwave, some pot noodles and a cup a soup if you're lucky. All 8 of us were crammed into one tiny little room.

Now these guys who I'm stuck with have been through it all before. So they're straight away on the phone to one of the nearby larger platforms. One with lots of people, a proper accomodation block and ....... a galley.

They asked the kitchen to rustle up a hot dinner for us. Nothing too fancy - chicken and chips would suffice.

The chefs dutifully complied and cooked up a storm. Put it all in a box, then in a carrier bag. And loaded it onto a supply ship which took it two miles over to our platform!! Which we then lifted on with the platform crane!

Honestly, I creased up when I realised this was the plan. I think I can confindently say that this is the only time in my life that I will have a takeaway dinner delivered by boat.

Absolutely brilliant misuse of company time and money on their behalf too!

Re: Glorious Misuse of Company Money
Helen *the original*
Helen *the original* Posted Tue 10 Feb, 2009 10:02 PM Quote
Ha ha now that sounds like a day you wouldn't forget in a hurry. I wonder how that takeaway would go down with the ol' CO2 crowd?! I'm so in the wrong job, i end up spending my own money on things rather than spending money the council has...what am i saying, it NEVER gives me money for things!!

Nikki
Nikki Posted Tue 10 Feb, 2009 11:09 PM Quote
:O You got stuck on the platform?! LOL! I'm glad you're safe, Moray. Welcome back! Did they pay you overtime for that? ;)

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Wed 11 Feb, 2009 10:48 AM Quote
A couple of mates of mine work for Pathfinder in Aberdeen and some of the stuff they tell me they can get away with is hilarious.

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Wed 11 Feb, 2009 1:28 PM Quote
Haha whatta hilarious story! =)

Tonie
Tonie Posted Wed 11 Feb, 2009 5:49 PM Quote
What an experience!

What do you do for a living Moray?

Here's me working from home, isolated, stressed, looking for the peak of excitement in a lunchtime gym class....and here's you.....

Not sure if what happened was scary or funny or both, but it's a great tale, and I'm glad you've come through it smiling. But it's the contrast of our lives and jobs that also made me smile!

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 9:34 PM