Travis

In God we trust?
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Fri 06 Feb, 2009 10:43 AM Quote
Eddie Izzard was on a talk show in the U.K last week and somehow the subject of God came up in the conversation.

He brought up a point in the difference in attitudes within Europe compared to the U.S with regards to god and politics.
He believed that someone who wanted to become President in the U.S had to be seen to be a believer in God to be elected/trusted by the voters. Whereas in Europe he felt that people preferred their leader to be somewhat distant from any religious beliefs.

How do you feel about that?

Re: In God we trust?
ricv64
ricv64 Posted Fri 06 Feb, 2009 2:38 PM Quote
Thats actually a post 1976 thing according to this book .

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51cNwM-ukhL._SL500_.jpg

To me it's a more regional thing too

ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Fri 06 Feb, 2009 2:57 PM Quote
I think that's spot on. Which kind of sucks. This country was suppose to be built on the separation of church and state because the founding fathers we pretty much somewhat apathetic to religion. Now in recent years it seems very apparent that the majority of the American people care what church their leader may belong to.

Nell
Nell Posted Fri 06 Feb, 2009 3:42 PM Quote

Well, I gotta say I don't believe in any higher powers anymore - therefore I'm quite happy with the system that's working here.

People don't seem to be interested in whether our politicans believen in God or not - but in how good they are in their job. I'd say in Germany it's the same thing - just here in Switzerland we've got like 7 presidents - who actually can be thrown off their thrown if they screw up.

We're much more interested in what backround do they have (school, work - experience), what future do they see and want they fight for - and how are they going to do that...

I'd like to think that - for the main parties of our politic situation - it doesn't matter what or if you believe in - couse who are we to judge about what's right or wrong - can't prove it anyways.

But (no offence against Americans) it really pisses me off (and lots of people here) to see how people would find Sarah Palin a good politican just because of her state of believe! All those things what she did and stood for - were forgotton as long as she "believes" and argues with "Lord/God" etc... (As reason she didn't want girls to be enlightened (about sex etc.) - because of God ..etc.):.

I don't think politics and religions should be mixed up......

fenchurch
fenchurch Posted Fri 06 Feb, 2009 5:59 PM Quote
I think religion is an extremely personal thing and I'd try not to hold it against someone whether they do or don't believe in something, like I hate it when my friends find it weird that I go to mass.

What I want to know is, in Britain do you have to be Protestant to become Prime Minister? Or does it just look better if you are? Tony Blair became Catholic when he was no longer PM right? Was that because he had to wait or cos he decided to?

mili
mili Posted Fri 06 Feb, 2009 6:50 PM Quote
fenchurch wrote:
I think religion is an extremely personal thing and I'd try not to hold it against someone whether they do or don't believe in something, like I hate it when my friends find it weird that I go to mass.

What I want to know is, in Britain do you have to be Protestant to become Prime Minister? Or does it just look better if you are? Tony Blair became Catholic when he was no longer PM right? Was that because he had to wait or cos he decided to?

The British PM can be a Hindu or whatever, and apparently there's been a few Jews, so religion is not an issue. Blair didn't became Catholic earlier, because it would've taken focus off his politics and had been too personal.

In Finland religion is not an issue, either, but since the parliament always has a church service before they start it has been thought that it would be nice if the president and PM were members of the Lutheran church.

fenchurch
fenchurch Posted Fri 06 Feb, 2009 6:58 PM Quote
mili wrote:
fenchurch wrote:

The British PM can be a Hindu or whatever, and apparently there's been a few Jews, so religion is not an issue. Blair didn't became Catholic earlier, because it would've taken focus off his politics and had been too personal.

Oh right, thanks.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Fri 06 Feb, 2009 7:03 PM Quote
It plays absolutely no role in my mind. I have no idea what religion my PM is, and don't really care.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Fri 06 Feb, 2009 7:13 PM Quote
In Argentina religion is not so important in politics either.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Fri 06 Feb, 2009 7:22 PM Quote
Maybe what it all comes down to is the US still has a large population of conservative Christians and people want the person in charge of making decisions for the nation to be like them. Be on the same page morally, etc.

Obviously, being religious does not necessarily qualify someone to lead the country, but for many people (especially in the so-called "Bible Belt") the moral decisions a president has to make (abortion, stem cell research, etc.) are by far more important than the economic and political decisions he makes. For instance, I know someone who votes for whomever is anti-abortion and looks at no other issues.

Rammsfer
Rammsfer Posted Fri 06 Feb, 2009 9:23 PM Quote
l DO belive in God

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Sat 07 Feb, 2009 3:34 AM Quote
Nell wrote:

But (no offence against Americans) it really pisses me off (and lots of people here) to see how people would find Sarah Palin a good politican just because of her state of believe! All those things what she did and stood for - were forgotton as long as she "believes" and argues with "Lord/God" etc... (As reason she didn't want girls to be enlightened (about sex etc.) - because of God ..etc.):.

I don't think politics and religions should be mixed up......

Palin had her ass handed to her in the election . Still she's not going away I'm affraid

kiwi
kiwi Posted Sat 07 Feb, 2009 5:07 PM Quote
It kind of weirded me out having prayers or whatever that was during the inauguration...

I don't think Politics and Religion should mix too much.. more than is appropriate.. I went to several Catholic integrated schools, which were part-state funded 'special character' schools and we got the best of both worlds, ie: we learnt about evolution/contraception etc as normal alongside our religious beliefs, so I can see how your personal beliefs have a place, but not when it comes to what's best for a country...

also at the same time it annoys me when people with no beliefs think it's ok to self-righteously have a go at anyone with beliefs.. it's always struck me as very hypocritical and quite idiotic.

Joe
Joe Posted Sat 07 Feb, 2009 9:58 PM Quote
Alistair Darling, Tony Blair's former P.R. man, famously said "We don't do God.", which prompted a row with the arch-bishop of Canterbury, Dr Rowan Williams. It later transpired that Tony Blair was devoutly religious, but didn't show it because, in his own words, if you're openly religious in U.K. politics "people think you're some sort of nutter".

I think the truth is that people don't care what their leader's religion is in the U.K., they just want reassuring that the leader isn't too strongly governed by religious belief, but rather weighs out problems of State in a very sobre, logical manner.

champagnesupernova
champagnesupernova Posted Sun 08 Feb, 2009 1:05 AM Quote
It is a game they play. More conservative and less intellectual the public is, more they play with people's religious feelings. Very dangerous! As ignorance can be blind following things said to be believed in.

So I agree on that generalization on US and European communities. Of course having accepted that there are exceptions. Conservative point of view is rated higher in places where education is kinda propaganda tool for governments. And countries carrying more social worries and responsibilities on their shoulders tend to use community's wills less.

Sadly same thing is happening in Turkey as well. No matter how much they steal, exploit people's innocent feelings, misuse national sources, abuse their missions; ignorant peeps tend to believe what they say as they come forward by using the name of God. I have to add being 'ignorant' doesn't always refer to be 'uneducated'. It is a consequence of political lead to history + religion + and basic studies.

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 1:21 AM