Travis

Guantanamo to be closed
Hanne
Hanne Posted Thu 22 Jan, 2009 5:58 PM Quote
My first reaction: Yay!

My next thought: I wonder what will happen to the no doubt traumatised prisoners. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them only have one thought in mind, and that's revenge.

Re: Guantanamo to be closed
ricv64
ricv64 Posted Thu 22 Jan, 2009 6:10 PM Quote
It's just the prison. I'd like the military base to be closed completly myself

Hanne
Hanne Posted Thu 22 Jan, 2009 6:13 PM Quote
I'd only heard the headlines. It seems like no one really knows yet what to do with the prisoners. It will be interesting to follow.

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Thu 22 Jan, 2009 6:24 PM Quote
They wont release them, will they? :o

kiwi
kiwi Posted Thu 22 Jan, 2009 6:35 PM Quote
Hanne wrote:
My first reaction: Yay!

My next thought: I wonder what will happen to the no doubt traumatised prisoners. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them only have one thought in mind, and that's revenge.

My first reaction: About bloody time! It had to happen really... Human Rights Violation or what...

I don't know enough about it.. but from some of the stuff that I HAVE heard, I'd just be glad to be free... then again if I'd be tortured I'd need some serious counselling....

I heard a discussion a while back on the radio about European countries who are being asked to provide asylum for prisoners, as some will be unable to go home as they have had death threats in their home countries. I believe GB has promised asylum so far...

I wonder will the ex-prisoners be allowed to talk? Or will they be put in jail in whichever country they go to.. like that Australian guy who was released a few years back.

Joe
Joe Posted Thu 22 Jan, 2009 7:42 PM Quote
I'll second that "about bloody time". It's shaming to think that a civilised country used water-boarding for so long.

mili
mili Posted Thu 22 Jan, 2009 9:11 PM Quote
TheBoyWithAName wrote:

The ones without charges will be released, but they can't go back to their home countries (that's most of them, at least), because thy would be in trouble there. UK has agreed to receive at least their own citizens, and other countries have been talked about, too. Finland might take some as refugees.

Hanne
Hanne Posted Thu 22 Jan, 2009 10:08 PM Quote
I remember the Danish citizen who got out with the help of diplomats. He was released and the first thing he said when he was interviewed at his return was that he wanted to go on fighting against the US for the muslim case etc. In my opinion he was being very arrogant and extremely ungrateful.

Then a few years later, he apparantly worked as a postman. He was arrested after having stolen credit cards and pin codes for the cards. Not very charming!

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Fri 23 Jan, 2009 10:27 AM Quote
mili wrote:
TheBoyWithAName wrote:

The ones without charges will be released, but they can't go back to their home countries (that's most of them, at least), because thy would be in trouble there. UK has agreed to receive at least their own citizens, and other countries have been talked about, too. Finland might take some as refugees.

Yeah those without charges should DEFINETELY be released! Guantanamo is a horrible place :S
I don't know about having crazy murderers running around in the streets though, but my knowledge about jails is pretty much zero, so I don't know exactly what kind of prisoners that Guantanamo contains.

Nell
Nell Posted Fri 23 Jan, 2009 12:44 PM Quote

Switzerland has been asked by Obama to take the prisoners here....so not so happy about that...

but glad it's been closed!

frandougeil
frandougeil Posted Fri 23 Jan, 2009 5:17 PM Quote
I agree tt its been about time guantanamo gets shut!And im happy Obama's putting his promises into action albeit regarding this.

But I've just watched my local news and I saw him breaking his silence on the Gaza crisis like finally...

Have to say I am pretty disappointed coz all he managed to say was "For years Hamas has launched thousands of rockets at innocent Israeli citizens. No democracy can tolerate such danger to its people,"...."To be a genuine party to peace ... Hamas must meet clear conditions, recognize Israel's right to exist, renounce violence and abide by past agreements."

It all comes down to history and i admit i don't know tt much..Im neither on Hamas nor Israel's side.I think by now we all know that the message is clear.And it doesn't take much to know tt the Palestinian people are the ones who have long suffered,whose land have been invaded not to mention their human rights to peace have long been robbed.

Isn't he supposed to be more concern with the many civilian lives lost in palestine?!And all he could proclaim about this was"Our hearts go out to Palestinian civilians who are in need of immediate food, clean water and basic medical care, and who have faced suffocating poverty for far too long..."Just as the terror of rocket fire aimed at innocent Israelis, is intolerable, so, too, is a future without hope for the Palestinians."

It sounds to me like he's much more concern about pleasing Israel maybe because America have always had good ties with them since the Bush eras??If tt's the case then it won't make any much difference then when Bush was president if this is the beginning of how he handles one of the many crisis facing Middle east.
These are just my honest opinions thou.And i hope his actions in the near future would prove me wrong.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Fri 23 Jan, 2009 8:28 PM Quote
ricv64 wrote:
It's just the prison. I'd like the military base to be closed completly myself

I agree. Why is it ok that the US have a military base in Cuba?
However, if Guantanamo and other CIA secret prisions are finally closed it'll be a huge step.
And the banish of torture as an interrogation technique is very important too. Will the people who tortured the prisoners be taken to trial?

About the Middle East situation, I agree with you, Sue. I can't believe he just said that. WTF is he talking about!
There are at least 1300 palestinians killed and 13 israeli deaths (I think there are 13, I've been looking for the exact number but with no luck), most of which were caused by friendly fire! I'm not saying it's ok that israeli people get killed, I'm saying that it's the palestinian people who are suffering. Israel started the attack, with advanced weapons, and even weapons prohibited by the Geneva Convention, attacking houses, hospitals, schools, universities, drains. And Palestinians are using rockets from WWII that, according to an Israeli general, suck.

It's a bloody massacre. At least one third of the dead palestinians were children, women or old people.
And Obama's talking about the threat of Hamas... give me a break!
Palestina has the same right to exist as Israel.

Sorry I got too carried away. This issue gets to me.

mili
mili Posted Fri 23 Jan, 2009 9:41 PM Quote
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:

Palestina has the same right to exist as Israel.

Actually, they were offered their own country 60 years ago, it was part of the plan, but they turned it down. Too many people in that area are more interested in destroying Israel than developing their own countries and helping their own people. Hamas has one main target and that is to destroy Israel.

I don't know if it was a good idea to create the state of Israel, but it's been there for 60 years, and it's not likely to go away. I wish people would just stop hating so much and concentrate in doing good. Spending money on schools, infrastructure etc instead of weapons would be a blessing for all.

Nell
Nell Posted Fri 23 Jan, 2009 10:01 PM Quote
Heard Obama wants the Gaza-Stripe (as we call it) to be a country of its own....

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Fri 23 Jan, 2009 11:42 PM Quote

I'll believe it when I see it.

Also you also think they are just gona let these guys go ?? They will "disappear" them put them in the normal prison system or worse, it's a exercise in Public Relations, the Bay was set up at the time because America had to be physically seen to be doing something.

After all that has transpired since it has become an embarrassment and a Human Rights nightmare but if you are nieve enough to believe they are just gonna close it down and let all these people go free... well.

Dubz

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 12:45 PM