Travis

Obama: why I'm already fed up with him.
Joe
Joe Posted Wed 21 Jan, 2009 12:21 PM Quote
The US candidate selection and election process took so many years that I'm already fed up of hearing about them all.

"Obamamania" can only lead to disappointment when people get a bit more realistic. I'm sure he's very competent, but there's only so much one man can do.

The "blood on the snow" part of his inauguration speech fucked me off. Going on about America's 'enemies' for ages... the U.K., when we've been their staunchest allies, whether right or wrong, and clearly damaging our own country's image. Cheers for that one mate.

Can anyone else see a pattern emerging? Let's face it, if he doesn't get shot, he'll end up being unpopular, just like every other successful politician before him.

Re: Obama: why I'm already fed up with him.
ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Wed 21 Jan, 2009 2:15 PM Quote
Joe wrote:
The US candidate selection and election process took so many years that I'm already fed up of hearing about them all.

Candidate selection took about 6 months.

Nell
Nell Posted Wed 21 Jan, 2009 2:17 PM Quote

woohow...you must be really upset ;)

reckon he'll get shot - or at least an attemt on his life will be made - although I wish that wouldn't happen.

Seriously? I believe he's the best president for very long time - but with all that fuss around him: expectation rise, promisses are made - and finally, at least I think so, he' won't be able to keep up to all of that.

But I'm really looking forward what he does about the health-care system in the US - he, there too, gave a great promise...

I still like him though (although he clearly wants to kill our bank-system here ;) ) but anyway I just think or fear that his deeds can't keep up with his good will. ( With all he senators etc. - he's the president but he still isn't alone)

And I hope he will be better cooparating on the G8 as Bush did -especially about the Co2 - discussion :) - but then again :) he's only one man :)

Nell
Nell Posted Wed 21 Jan, 2009 2:21 PM Quote

Hehe...I know this is totally beside the topic but just wanted to say hi to another House/Laurie - fan :)

hehe

ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Wed 21 Jan, 2009 2:29 PM Quote
Nell wrote:

Hehe...I know this is totally beside the topic but just wanted to say hi to another House/Laurie - fan :)

hehe

What up! Yesterday they aired a House marathon on a network over here. It was for about 17 hours. I was extremely happy to get away from inauguration coverage. Just camped out on the sofa all day and did homework.

Aída
Aída Posted Wed 21 Jan, 2009 2:44 PM Quote

kiwi
kiwi Posted Wed 21 Jan, 2009 3:05 PM Quote
I haven't seen anything to do with the inauguration. I'm remaining skeptical, because at the end of the day he's a politician and like others here have said theres only so much one politician can do - that and I don't trust politicians as far as I could throw one.

I do however recognise he's a positive symbol for a country during a crap time... and anyone other than Bush has to be an improvement! But I do think people should give him at least a year before they pass judgment otherwise he's just being set up for a huge fall.

Nell
Nell Posted Wed 21 Jan, 2009 3:17 PM Quote
ElspethOllie wrote:

What up! Yesterday they aired a House marathon on a network over here. It was for about 17 hours. I was extremely happy to get away from inauguration coverage. Just camped out on the sofa all day and did homework.

Gee ok last post to this :): love to have a marathon like this here - but we're doing one nex week here. Did u see the last new episode (came out on monday)...forman and 13 r together? wt a crap...anyways :)

So: Back to Obama then ;) Hey give him at least a chance :) He's just president for like 1 day or so :)... and for the people he seems to be a second Martin Luther King ;) - just lower your expectations ;)

Ps: Joe - missed that: what was he saying about the UK - or why? They were always allies or what was wrong? Didn't get that...Who was he adressing with the word "enemy"?

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Wed 21 Jan, 2009 3:20 PM Quote
Joe wrote:

"Obamamania" can only lead to disappointment when people get a bit more realistic. I'm sure he's very competent, but there's only so much one man can do.

The "blood on the snow" part of his inauguration speech fucked me off. Going on about America's 'enemies' for ages... the U.K., when we've been their staunchest allies, whether right or wrong, and clearly damaging our own country's image. Cheers for that one mate.

Can anyone else see a pattern emerging? Let's face it, if he doesn't get shot, he'll end up being unpopular, just like every other successful politician before him.

I like him and am hopeful that he is going to do good for my country but I was getting a little weary of all the hype leading up to yesterday.

I am glad he's finally officially the President so we can see what he is going to do. I think you are right that a lot of people are going to be disappointed because it seems like they think everything is going to be better tomorrow just because he is president. I hope he can continue to make it clear that there is no magic pill to fix everything; it's going to take time and effort.

I listened to his speech yesterday and didn't remember hearing a "blood on the snow" part. I just reread it and did not see that phrase. What part are you talking about?

Also my perception from yesterday wasn't that he went on and on about our enemies and from rereading it I could only find one line and perhaps half a paragraph speaking to our "enemies." Out of an 18 minute speech that does not seem like he went on and on about enemies.

I was also confused about what upset you regarding what he said/didn't say about the U.K. The U.K. has been a close ally and I agree a price has been paid for that. But that damage happened in the Bush administration. How is that Obama's fault?

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Wed 21 Jan, 2009 3:22 PM Quote
For those wanting a quick link to the full speech

http://www.freep.com/article/20090121/OBAMAINAUGURATION10/901210390/-1/rss07

Nikki
Nikki Posted Wed 21 Jan, 2009 4:39 PM Quote
Joe,

I can understand your reluctance to jump on the Obama bandwagon. You’re right. Not everything is going to change overnight. But I do feel Obama is the best person for the job and that our country finally came together and made the right choice. There is a lot of work ahead, fixing the economy, ending a useless war and cleaning up all the other messes Bush made. I’m definitely guilty of getting overly excited about this election. But is that really all that bad? It WAS a historical event seeing the first person of color take the oath and it’s a great step forward for our country. Also, I can tell you that, living here in Michigan, a state in serious trouble with the collapsing auto industry, it feels damn good to be able to celebrate and be happy about something for a change. I lost my job. So did my mom…and my uncle, and my aunt, and my friend and my neighbor. Yesterday was a great day, and I felt good to be excited about something. I hope and pray he really can make a difference.

As far as Obama’s comments about the UK: The American Revolution is part of history. It's why we’re here today. It happened and can't be unwritten. That doesn't mean we’re any less of allies now.

Here is exactly what President Obama said. It was at the very end of his speech, and the most moving and powerful part, I though -- especially how he tied in the hardships of that winter fighting for our freedom with the hardships of THIS winter fighting to get out of our new American depression. In NO WAY did I think it was even remotely "anti-UK.” I honestly don’t think that’s how it was meant to be taken and this is the first time I’ve heard anyone bring it up as such. In fact, this part of the speech moved me to tears.

So let us mark this day with remembrance, of who we are and how far we have traveled. In the year of America's birth, in the coldest of months, a small band of patriots huddled by dying campfires on the shores of an icy river. The capital was abandoned. The enemy was advancing. The snow was stained with blood. At a moment when the outcome of our revolution was most in doubt, the father of our nation ordered these words be read to the people:

"Let it be told to the future world ... that in the depth of winter, when nothing but hope and virtue could survive ... that the city and the country, alarmed at one common danger, came forth to meet" it.

America. In the face of our common dangers, in this winter of our hardship, let us remember these timeless words. With hope and virtue, let us brave once more the icy currents, and endure what storms may come. Let it be said by our children's children that when we were tested we refused to let this journey end, that we did not turn back nor did we falter; and with eyes fixed on the horizon and God's grace upon us, we carried forth that great gift of freedom and delivered it safely to future generations.

Thank you. God bless you. And God bless the United States of America.

Rammsfer
Rammsfer Posted Wed 21 Jan, 2009 4:42 PM Quote
Good luck, Obama

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Wed 21 Jan, 2009 4:46 PM Quote
Ah thanks Nikki. Now I see what part he is talking about.

I too found that part very beautiful and didn't at all take it as an anti-U.K. thing. I guess that is why I didn't even catch the blood snow reference.

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Wed 21 Jan, 2009 5:00 PM Quote
Actually I'm not that interested of who becomes Americas president, I'm hardly interested of who rules my own country. Politicians will always do as they please anyways.. I wish him good luck and that's about it! I think the Americans will be pleased with him though, things can only get better after mr B, I guess?...As long as Obama wont interfer too much in other countries buissness, we'll be pleased as well =)

goosey_84
goosey_84 Posted Wed 21 Jan, 2009 6:11 PM Quote
lol yeah i've been fed up with Obama oh since the pre-election days...it's a bloody hysteria. Especially here in So Cal with Hollywood raving about him. :P

Pages [1] 2 3 Next All Times BST Current Time 9:22 AM