Travis

Re: THE LONG AWAITED TRAVIS INTERVIEW!
Chiito-chan
Chiito-chan Posted Sat 10 Jan, 2009 10:14 AM Quote
Thanks for the interview!

minnmess wrote:
You asked my question and they do infact think we are nuts!!! yay!
I would have been disappointed if they thought we were sane!

I'd have been disappointed too!LOL
Travis love their nuts fans. YAY!

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Sat 10 Jan, 2009 10:23 AM Quote
Ooooh I was so glad when I woke up and saw that this interview was finally finished =) Great job!

FH- There are loads of songs I write which aren't any good... but they never make it on an album... my least favourite that is on a record is Get Up. I really want to remove it.
FH- I don't understand how a reviewer who has listened to an album once can call it a bands best album... we live in a time of ridiculous hype... not even we escape it... I think Ode is a solid piece of work. I would remove Get Up from the running order. I was cajoled into including it on the record and should have listened to my instinct. Maybe i'll take it off still.

Hahaha yeah I thought of Ben too when I read this! Poor Get Up! =(

Minnmess
What do Travis think of us boardies? Do they think we are totally crazy, what with our endless posting, polls, covers, pics, etc?

FH- Yes. Nut jobs the lot of you. But we love you.

Naaaaw! It's really great that our questions got asked, I luurrve it!! More of this stuff please! :D

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sat 10 Jan, 2009 12:12 PM Quote
Hahaha. Oh no, I'm being made out as a big, mean Get Up abuser. It's a fun song but as Travis songs go, it isn't the best. If Fran literally wants to take it off, then he should replace with Ballad and replace Song To Self with the extended version. :)

I still find it surprising he'd say it though. Yesterday I was reading an Elbow interview and they said they were proud of all their songs, except one. And they refused to name which one.

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Sat 10 Jan, 2009 1:37 PM Quote
Yeah it's kinda strange that he said this, a part of me don't want to hear it either, but I asked the question so I guess I have to live with the fact that Fran doesn't like Get Up that much! ;)

I thought he was going to answer that there are some b-sides that he's not so proud of, I could never imagine that he was going to criticize something on Ode :P

Mikko85
Mikko85 Posted Sat 10 Jan, 2009 4:59 PM Quote
I think Get Up is atrocious. Always have. At least as an album track - it's a fun, throwaway b-side at absolute best. And yet I'm stunned about what Fran said about it - you just don't expect to read something like that! Good on him for being honest, though. Really good interview to read, imagine he enjoyed being asked a few more inventive questions than the usual too.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sat 10 Jan, 2009 6:32 PM Quote
I wouldn't call it atrocious! lol But certainly if it was a b-side it wouldn't be in my top 50% of b-sides. There's a good 30 better b-sides at least. :)

MusicGirl99
MusicGirl99 Posted Sat 10 Jan, 2009 7:15 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
Hahaha. Oh no, I'm being made out as a big, mean Get Up abuser. It's a fun song but as Travis songs go, it isn't the best. If Fran literally wants to take it off, then he should replace with Ballad and replace Song To Self with the extended version. :)

I still find it surprising he'd say it though. Yesterday I was reading an Elbow interview and they said they were proud of all their songs, except one. And they refused to name which one.

I don't think it's that surprising. He's said that before about other songs, like Coming Around, and I think SSS and Flowers (with the album arrangement)--I'm sure someone will point out which article it's from. What I do find surprising is that he hates it so much. =( I agree with whoever said it should have been only on the J Smith EP. Its energy really fits there as a first listen thing. Ha, maybe this is the Paperclips of the record and people will appreciate it more a couple of albums down the road. :)

And Elbow is lying. lol.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Sat 10 Jan, 2009 7:24 PM Quote
MusicGirl99 wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:

I don't think it's that surprising. He's said that before about other songs, like Coming Around, and I think SSS and Flowers (with the album arrangement)--I'm sure someone will point out which article it's from. What I do find surprising is that he hates it so much. =( I agree with whoever said it should have been only on the J Smith EP. Its energy really fits there as a first listen thing. Ha, maybe this is the Paperclips of the record and people will appreciate it more a couple of albums down the road. :)

And Elbow is lying. lol.

Yes, I'm not that surprised either. He said something like this about Safe once too.

And Paperclips is brilliant, unlike Get Up :oP

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sat 10 Jan, 2009 7:34 PM Quote
Yes, he said Coming Around should have been a b-side. A very good b-side, he said, but a b-side. It's one of my favourite Travis songs. Didn't he say he was a bit tired of Sing? I have read him say Safe shouldn't have went on The Invisible Band.

And it wasn't actually so much about him having a go at a Travis song, it was him mentioning a song from an album released 3 months ago. lol

And yes, even though Paperclips is a grower it's always been better than Get Up for me. :)

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Sat 10 Jan, 2009 8:07 PM Quote
Coming Around IS great! Better than a certain single from 12 Memories.....

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Sat 10 Jan, 2009 8:18 PM Quote
I think its great Fran expressed his thoughts ; that's what makes him special. :)

Get Up was a great crowd rocker live but it doesn't sound that good on Ode . (especially between my 2 favs tracks !)

irenesfor
irenesfor Posted Sat 10 Jan, 2009 9:43 PM Quote
Great Interview!! =D
Get Up isn't one of my favorites, but I like it.

deebee
deebee Posted Sat 10 Jan, 2009 10:49 PM Quote
Hey great! I'd actually forgotten about the interview. BUT Fran answered my question, cool!

Nikki
Nikki Posted Sun 11 Jan, 2009 12:22 AM Quote
Wow!! What a great interview! We should always ask the questions, cuz we are the ones who really know what's up! Good work, people!

Yay to Franny thinking we are nuts/loving us and to him loving The Connection. I totally agree, that song is so beautiful. BUT I STILL LOVE GET UP! :P

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Sun 11 Jan, 2009 1:35 AM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
Yes, he said Coming Around should have been a b-side. A very good b-side, he said, but a b-side. It's one of my favourite Travis songs. Didn't he say he was a bit tired of Sing? I have read him say Safe shouldn't have went on The Invisible Band.

Coming Around as a b-side? Scandalous! It's one of my (many) favourite Travis tunes too. Fair 'nuff that Sing is overplayed and I can imagine Fran getting a bit sick of it, but I think its one of the finest examples of their song-writing prowess. Interesting that these two songs are Travis' biggest hits chart-wise - Fran doesn't seem to rate them quite as highly as we do. :P

Safe on the other hand, I don't really like. Verses are good but the chorus doesn't really inspire me.

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 Next All Times BST Current Time 5:47 PM