Travis

Halleljulah
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Thu 18 Dec, 2008 11:37 AM Quote
As i have said before. This song means absolutely nothing to me.
But i am curious to know why it means so much to some of you (if indeed it does).

Re: Halleljulah
Joe
Joe Posted Thu 18 Dec, 2008 11:47 AM Quote
Mr BBC strikes again.

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Thu 18 Dec, 2008 11:49 AM Quote
does the bbc speak for you?

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 18 Dec, 2008 12:45 PM Quote

I quite like the song although it's not one of my all time favourites.

First took notice of it in Shrek, John Cale's is my favourite version. Cohen's is a bit too sombre possibly better but not for me, Fuckley's is pretentious wankery for me. As for the X-Factor version well... What the Fuck did you honestly expect, It's reality TV and if fuckwits continue to watch this utter shite, then they can only expect to have more shite served up to them (personally I think it's a terrible version but... she's probably doing the best with what she's got and let's face it she's only doing exactly what she's been told to)

Dubz

Nell
Nell Posted Thu 18 Dec, 2008 1:06 PM Quote

I just really liked it. Got several versions here...but my favorite one is the one Jeff Buckley's done. With the accustic string...

Also like the piano-version..but well...

I said "liked" because I've heard this song now soooooooooooo much I can't stand it playing or listening it again. It's a great song as backround for a melodrama-act...like there was in OC (when Marissa took too much pills) or in House (when Cameron helped a patient to die...)...great backround music...or in that Shrek-scene... to concentrate while driving - at night with snowfall..;)

But otherwise...nah...I just can't stand it anymore...

Hanne
Hanne Posted Thu 18 Dec, 2008 1:43 PM Quote
There's just something about that song that I can't explain. All I know is that it gives me goosebumps almost every time I hear it, at least when Cohen, Buckley or Wainwright sing it.

Haven't heard the X-Factor version yet but I fear the worst.

Moray
Moray Posted Thu 18 Dec, 2008 1:48 PM Quote
Bought 'Grace' in the summer of 1999 when I was working as a lad in Somerfield. I did a nightshift stacking shelves in a store in Aberdeen, and as I was waiting to get the bus home to Huntly I can remember going and spending my £20 travel allowance in HMV on 3 cd's for £20. I bought Grace, The Great Escpae by Blur and another I can't remember.

Anyway, I still remember getting home and excitedly listening to this song hallelujah and just playing it over and over again. I couldn't get enough of it. It was at a time when my musical horizons were expanding - I'd only just discovered the Beatles and Led Zeppelin were yet to come along.

The song has really just been with me ever since. On various mix tapes and cd's i've made up. I still find something new in the vocals etc.

sorry angel
sorry angel Posted Thu 18 Dec, 2008 4:27 PM Quote
Never was that much amazed by Buckley back in the 90s although these days it means more to me. I've always been a bit of a Cohen's fan although not enough to spend hours listening to his depression whirlpool holy holy singing but I do love Suzanne (in fact more) and Halleluja. All this has changed a lot in my mind but it's got nothing to do with either the music or the talent of the artist. My friend Pascal who committed suicide in may actually loved the Buckley's version so much that it was sang by one of our close common friend at Pascal's wedding one year ago. Sadly our friend also sang it at his funeral in may and since we've talked all together about this song and obviously all the personal aspect influences my like of the song more that the actual song.

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Thu 18 Dec, 2008 5:26 PM Quote
I love the song and it's my mums favourite too, she loves when I play it on the piano =) I bought her Il Divos latest CD for christmas and Hallelujah is on it, so I think she'll love it =)

Ps. Il Divo is her kind of music, not mine ;)

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Thu 18 Dec, 2008 7:39 PM Quote
The lyrics and the melody have a mysterious haunting quality that appeals to me.

Also the Biblical imagery/references.

Lemon Grinner
Lemon Grinner Posted Thu 18 Dec, 2008 8:06 PM Quote
It means nothing to me.

(Ooohhhhhhh, Vienna.)

paul_c
paul_c Posted Thu 18 Dec, 2008 11:19 PM Quote
I like Allison Crowe's version

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 3:22 PM