Travis

X factor winners to cover Hallelujah
Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 29 Nov, 2008 2:17 AM Quote

Is nothing fucink sacred??? not only that but they'll probably cover the Jeff Fuckley version which was ripped off from John Cale.

mind you Cohen could probably do with the royalties

Dubz

Re: X factor winners to cover Hallelujah
Tonie
Tonie Posted Sat 29 Nov, 2008 12:48 PM Quote
This was a great song until it got "Cowelled".

Personally, I love Buckley & Wainright's versions, and hope that they aren't the versions that are copied. But I heard that Cowell does like Jeff Buckley's cover, so I'm sure you're right, and it'll sound like that.

Meantime, if Diana or Eoughan don't win, it's going to sound dreadful anyway, cos theirs are the voices best suited to the song.

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Sat 29 Nov, 2008 1:26 PM Quote
Leonard Cohen-version is still the best one...

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 29 Nov, 2008 1:32 PM Quote

I think everyone has their own favourite, Cohen, Cale Fuckley, Wainwright and even KD Lang.

It's very rarely I prefer a cover to an original but Cale's version is fantastic (btw of which Fuckley's is a cover).

The version on Shrek is Cale's but when they released the soundtrack Dreamworks substitued Wainwright's inferior version as they also own his label and he was trying to launch his career at the time.

Dubz

AbsGinger
AbsGinger Posted Sat 29 Nov, 2008 1:34 PM Quote
TheBoyWithAName wrote:
Leonard Cohen-version is still the best one...

Leonard Cohen RAWKS !

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 29 Nov, 2008 1:49 PM Quote
I agree.

Recommended listening would be...Songs of Leornard Cohen - beautiful vocals and wonderful songwriting. and just so you know he's not all doom and gloom The Future has a couple of more upbeat songs on it, Closing Time and Democracy is Coming to the USA it also includes Anthem and Waiting for the Miracle

Dubz
(there is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in)

Moray
Moray Posted Sat 29 Nov, 2008 2:03 PM Quote
Welcome to wrongsville population - Dubz!

Whats the reason for suggesting that Jeff Buckley's version is any more a cover of John Cale's cover than a cover of the Leonard Cohen original? Other than the fact that both he and Cale sing in tune, and don't ruin their god given talent for writing beautiful melody & prose by singing in a dirge like monotone over the song a la Cohen (Sorry board, not a fan of his voice! Unless I'm lacking in sleep). And even if it were true, that Buckley lifted more from Cale that Cohen, why should this demerit Buckley and why should Cale benefit from this? Because he thought of it first? I can see how this theory applies to Rufus Wainwright. As much as I like Rufus, there's very little that sets his version apart from Cale. However there's plenty unique about Buckleys version. From the absolutely staggering single guitar arrangement to the heartbreakingly honest way he sings every line and believes it. Yes I'm a fan. It's my favourite version by far. I played it so much as I teeneager, I wore the track out on my cd copy of Grace such that it skips. I didn't think you could do that. It's by far the most emotional, as far as I'm concerned. The guitar in it is heart stopping - especially the interlude. When he chimes out the last four notes just before the vocals kick back in - wow!

Anyway, thats my two cents.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 29 Nov, 2008 2:15 PM Quote
Moray wrote:
Welcome to wrongsville population - Dubz!

Whats the reason for suggesting that Jeff Buckley's version is any more a cover of John Cale's cover than a cover of the Leonard Cohen original? Other than the fact that both he and Cale sing in tune, and don't ruin their god given talent for writing beautiful melody & prose by singing in a dirge like monotone over the song a la Cohen (Sorry board, not a fan of his voice! Unless I'm lacking in sleep). And even if it were true, that Buckley lifted more from Cale that Cohen, why should this demerit Buckley and why should Cale benefit from this? Because he thought of it first? I can see how this theory applies to Rufus Wainwright. As much as I like Rufus, there's very little that sets his version apart from Cale. However there's plenty unique about Buckleys version. From the absolutely staggering single guitar arrangement to the heartbreakingly honest way he sings every line and believes it. Yes I'm a fan. It's my favourite version by far. I played it so much as I teeneager, I wore the track out on my cd copy of Grace such that it skips. I didn't think you could do that. It's by far the most emotional, as far as I'm concerned. The guitar in it is heart stopping - especially the interlude. When he chimes out the last four notes just before the vocals kick back in - wow!

Anyway, thats my two cents.

the reason for sugeesting the fact that Fuckley's is a cover of Cales and not of the original is the fact I read it yesterday in the Irish Times, (I'm assuming they do their research, had I read it in the Sun, I would never have repeated it).

As I said earlier in this post everyone has their own favourite. What I meant was that does not detract from anyone elses opinion. If you have to take it personally and jump to Fuckley's defence then that's up to you. However I would like to know if Fuckley would have been the icon he now is if the arrogant fucker had actually fucking lived instead of going swimming in blatantly obvious dangerous waters fully fucking clothed.

Dubz

Moray
Moray Posted Sat 29 Nov, 2008 2:26 PM Quote
Dubz, you can't centre an argument based around the fact that you read it somewhere in a newspaper and therefore it must be true. This is madness?! Explain to me the possible bias of the author?! You've heard both versions - do you think one is derivative of the other and why?! Because the Irish times said so is not a valild response!! Step up to the plate and think for yourself man!

I can't tell you if I'd have been a big Buckley fan had he not tragically died so early. I was 12 when 'Grace' was released, so it pretty much passed me by. I can tell you I like it now. Grace is a fine piece of work

Please stop calling him 'Fuckley'. It doesn't lend any further weight to your argument. And once again you're letting your personal opinion of the artist affect your opinion of their music - same as McCartney. A perceived arrogance on their part doesn't stop them producing wonderful music.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 29 Nov, 2008 2:37 PM Quote
Moray wrote:
Dubz, you can't centre an argument based around the fact that you read it somewhere in a newspaper and therefore it must be true. This is madness?! Explain to me the possible bias of the author?! You've heard both versions - do you think one is derivative of the other and why?! Because the Irish times said so is not a valild response!! Step up to the plate and think for yourself man!

I can't tell you if I'd have been a big Buckley fan had he not tragically died so early. I was 12 when 'Grace' was released, so it pretty much passed me by. I can tell you I like it now. Grace is a fine piece of work

Please stop calling him 'Fuckley'. It doesn't lend any further weight to your argument. And once again you're letting your personal opinion of the artist affect your opinion of their music - same as McCartney. A perceived arrogance on their part doesn't stop them producing wonderful music.

When I read the article yesterday I felt at last someone else had agreed with me. Fuckley's version is to me a copy of Cale's, It is way closer to Cale's version than to Cohen's. it's what I hear sorry.

I bought Grace a couple of years ago just to see what all the fuss was about. I regularly give it a listen to see if I'm missing something but I cannot hear it, sorry to me he sounds like 100's of other singer songwriters nothing special.

I'm not dening that McCuntney is not talented the beatles were amazing but he has done fuck all else of any worth since then. Fuckley also may be a great singer/songwriter but I don't see it and that s my personal opinion. sorry.

btw here is said Article

Dubz

TK23
TK23 Posted Sat 29 Nov, 2008 3:55 PM Quote
I do like Beirut's cover a lot- it's absolutely precious. Gotta love that ukulele. Gavin DeGraw did a pretty good stinkin' good job with it too.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Sat 29 Nov, 2008 4:07 PM Quote
Moray wrote:
And once again you're letting your personal opinion of the artist affect your opinion of their music - same as McCartney. A perceived arrogance on their part doesn't stop them producing wonderful music.

Moray, I agree with everything you've said on this thread, especially the above statement.

Jeff Buckley's version is gorgeous and definitely my favorite.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 29 Nov, 2008 4:18 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:
Moray wrote:
And once again you're letting your personal opinion of the artist affect your opinion of their music - same as McCartney. A perceived arrogance on their part doesn't stop them producing wonderful music.

Moray, I agree with everything you've said on this thread, especially the above statement.

Ok, can either of you name one thing McCartney has done recently that is "wonderful".

Dubz

Nikki
Nikki Posted Sat 29 Nov, 2008 4:19 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Nikki wrote:
Moray wrote:

Ok, can either of you name one thing McCartney has done recently that is "wonderful".

Dubz

Yeah, I like his new album.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 29 Nov, 2008 4:23 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Nikki wrote:
Moray wrote:

Dubz

Yeah, I like his new album.

OK, I'll have a listen and if I'm fucking wrong I'll apologize

Dubz

Pages [1] 2 3 Next All Times BST Current Time 10:27 AM