Travis

Re: Recording of Ode
Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Fri 21 Nov, 2008 9:08 PM Quote
Kristy wrote:

I can't see it making a difference ... sometimes, IMO, live is worse. But each to their own ... [/quote]

WHAT? are you doing on this board?

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Fri 21 Nov, 2008 9:23 PM Quote
I was just giving you my opinion, which is that I like the production on other Travis albums better than the production on Ode :) It has nothing to do with the guys musicality, Frans voice, the songwriting or the lyrics! It has everything to do with my taste though and I think I'm entitled to that ;) I love Travis otherwise I wouldn't hang around here!

My opinion: Ode has some of the best Travis songs, other albums have better production...That's about IT!

And my opinion has nothing to do with my stereo equipment because it's on that I listen to all of the albums. I also think the guys don't mind us being nerdy and having opinions about their recordings. That's the beauty of being an observer! and they know we love em!

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Fri 21 Nov, 2008 9:29 PM Quote
Kristy wrote:
Somewhere Else wrote:
Not at all. I am saying the option of as near as live is available- on the right equipment. A plus .

I can't see it making a difference ... sometimes, IMO, live is worse. But each to their own ...

Actually you bring up a good point about how achieving a live sound seems to be the ultimate aspiration for many bands; the words 'live' and 'better' seem almost synonymous. I'm all for the immediacy and rawness of live music, but taking care to craft a song from the ground up certainly has its place too. It depends on what best suits the song at hand I guess.

accousticbug
accousticbug Posted Fri 21 Nov, 2008 9:42 PM Quote
i thought the whole point of it was that it was to be more raw.. less over produced and much to do with the bands situation at the time.. to keep moving forward while they had the chance.

i dont agree with the phrase 2-D, to be honest thats a horrible thing to say.. but i understand what you might mean.. its maybe not as expansive or have all the bells and whistles as previous albums..? is that what you mean? but 2D? not on my speakers..

but really i dont get why folk cant take it for what it is. it isnt the invisible band, it isnt TMW or TBWNN. its different and was approached differently in many ways.

its like an air of negetivity creeps in now and again here. cant we just enjoy the album and sort of celebrate it instead of picking it apart. this has happened ever since 12 memories and i dont get it.

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Fri 21 Nov, 2008 9:44 PM Quote
Typing to Reach You wrote:
Kristy wrote:
Somewhere Else wrote:
Not at all. I am saying the option of as near as live is available- on the right equipment. A plus .

I can't see it making a difference ... sometimes, IMO, live is worse. But each to their own ...

Actually you bring up a good point about how achieving a live sound seems to be the ultimate aspiration for many bands; the words 'live' and 'better' seem almost synonymous. I'm all for the immediacy and rawness of live music, but taking care to craft a song from the ground up certainly has its place too. It depends on what best suits the song at hand I guess.

I think Travis made it quite clear that they did not want another TBWNN for the reason of crafting and the length of time it took to craft. Stands to reason that some songs in both camps , might , sound better , raw or crafted. And , everyone will have a different view on what they would like to hear as raw or crafted . Travis tend to sound good raw on most - IMO - otherwise 'live' would not suit them but it does and as we know thats what they do best!

EDIT Accouusticbug - Well said

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Fri 21 Nov, 2008 9:50 PM Quote
Hehe I don't think people are coming with a negative vibe at all, it's a good thing to share opinions? Isn't that one of the beautiful sides of music? Ode is by far better than all other crap around so I don't see why people have to be so defensive?

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Fri 21 Nov, 2008 10:02 PM Quote
It's not negativity, it's just people expressing their thoughts and critiques on the album. I understand perfectly what Travis set out to achieve - something raw and edgy - and by all means they've done it, it's some of the rawest stuff they've ever made. But I'm just trying to identify this certain something (production, recording? etc) that I don't personally like much about the sound of the album. Problem is, I don't quite know what this thing is, so I have to use words like 'two dimensional' in an effort to describe it. I guess words are never very useful things when trying to describe music... the emotions and depth involved goes far beyond their capacity. But I just made this post to see if others feel the same, different or indifferent about Ode in this way.

Thing is I happen to think that Ode is still a great album, and contains some of the best songs the band has written in ages. And looks to me like lots of other people feel the same way.

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Fri 21 Nov, 2008 10:10 PM Quote
accousticbug wrote:
i thought the whole point of it was that it was to be more raw.. less over produced and much to do with the bands situation at the time.. to keep moving forward while they had the chance.

i dont agree with the phrase 2-D, to be honest thats a horrible thing to say.. but i understand what you might mean.. its maybe not as expansive or have all the bells and whistles as previous albums..? is that what you mean? but 2D? not on my speakers..

but really i dont get why folk cant take it for what it is. it isnt the invisible band, it isnt TMW or TBWNN. its different and was approached differently in many ways.

its like an air of negetivity creeps in now and again here. cant we just enjoy the album and sort of celebrate it instead of picking it apart. this has happened ever since 12 memories and i dont get it.

Absolutely. I would never criticise an album for being different to previous ones because bands have to change to stay relevant. But we can look at the aspects that have changed and decide whether they are improvements or maybe are things that could be improved next time.

The reason why I compare it to the other albums is because we all know them - I did make a comparison with Elbow but of course most people haven't heard the album.

I don't think this thread is negative, there would be no progress if noone ever pointed out things which should be improved. Travis are mere mortals and other bands can produce music that we prefer.

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Fri 21 Nov, 2008 10:21 PM Quote
Typing to Reach You wrote:
Yep I agree. The sound on The Seldom Seen Kid is amazing... I got it and Ode around the same time actually so the contrast was even more obvious. Since we're on the topic of Elbow, I got their first album (thanks to Nikki, as part of our CD trade) too and its really cool. Gonna get the other two soon, and I'm seeing them live at Blackpool in March. :D Have you been to see them live yourself, or are you just judging off live performances on TV etc?

It's weird that they've just existed inside their own musical bubble for years with hardly anyone noticing. I'd heard the name but never heard any of the songs before this summer. Strange.

I went to their gig last month, it was brilliant. The crowd were singing so loudly (especially in One Day Like This) and the atmosphere was so relaxed. I love Starlings at the start, the majestic trumpet blast, like a salute, then well... lots and lots of bloody good songs. Some Riot was awe-inspiring. You'll love the show, I'm debating whether to go to Plymouth in that tour, the acoustics in the venue are shocking :(

I'm looking forward to listening to their second album, I bought them all together and I've been saving it since.

accousticbug
accousticbug Posted Fri 21 Nov, 2008 10:41 PM Quote
i didnt make my point well. another go.

i heard fran talking about how his songs were like kids or something. and its such a great way to look at it.

theres good/points bad/points in each. so please dont ask them to improve or change. they are what they are. THAT is whats amazing about music. it comes out the way it comes out.

anyone wanting to listen to the production values of tmw/tib again, then hey! listen to that album!

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Fri 21 Nov, 2008 11:18 PM Quote
accousticbug wrote:
i didnt make my point well. another go.

i heard fran talking about how his songs were like kids or something. and its such a great way to look at it.

theres good/points bad/points in each. so please dont ask them to improve or change. they are what they are. THAT is whats amazing about music. it comes out the way it comes out.

anyone wanting to listen to the production values of tmw/tib again, then hey! listen to that album!

Fair do's I understand what you're saying. But the fact is they are out now and they're not gonna change so don't worry lol.

I just wanted to get other people's opinions that's all. I don't feel music should be a passive activity, I like to think about it and form opinions on it. I am a very analytical person though, probably annoys some people. Comes as part of the degree I'm doing. :p

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Fri 21 Nov, 2008 11:54 PM Quote
Opinions and analysis can be interestiing , its just when you start reading stuff like 'Santa went home and ate his reindeer' is kinda best left out, if you get my drift.

GMS1968
GMS1968 Posted Sat 22 Nov, 2008 2:06 AM Quote
This is a great topic.
I have been thinking about this album, for a while now.
I was quite surprised by the sound of the new songs when hearing them live last month.
Time is ticking till the next Travis album, which i think will be and will have to be their best yet.
Did time tick too quick during the writing and recording of Ode?

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Sat 22 Nov, 2008 5:44 AM Quote
GMS1968 wrote:
This is a great topic.
I have been thinking about this album, for a while now.
I was quite surprised by the sound of the new songs when hearing them live last month.
Time is ticking till the next Travis album, which i think will be and will have to be their best yet.
Did time tick too quick during the writing and recording of Ode?

What sort of post/input is that meant to be? I can accept that some may not like Ode but I can't see the point of chipping in a negative just to register that . As Travis have already said " they are on a moving bus " with their music and to get off if ye don't likee ..... making crass comments like time ticking too quick says more about you than Travis .

Kristy
Kristy Posted Sat 22 Nov, 2008 11:05 AM Quote
Somewhere Else wrote:

WHAT? are you doing on this board?

Excuse me?

Pages Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next All Times BST Current Time 2:15 AM