Travis

Re: Recording of Ode
BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Fri 21 Nov, 2008 4:21 PM Quote
On which songs does Fran's voice blend in with the music? :) I think Fran's voice is stronger on Ode than on The Boy With No Name. He was great on that of course but on Ode, he sounds brilliant. :)

Interesting hearing some people say there's a "2D sound" to it. That's TBWNN for me. I don't think they have to use this same method again but it'd be better than going back to TBWNN. I was listening to Coldplay's new EP last night and some of the tracks sound amazing in your ears. Swirls around your brain and it's amazing. I think Travis just need a producer that's going to make the music sound bigger. Long Way Down, for me is the exact opposite i was expecting from Ode in terms of the sound. Whereas Quite Free is more what i was expecting, along with Last Words and Chinese Blues and a few others. :)

Nikki
Nikki Posted Fri 21 Nov, 2008 4:36 PM Quote
owenlee wrote:
Nikki wrote:
TheBoyWithAName wrote:
Most of the tracks on Ode are really good songs, but I think that Frans voice melts together with the music at some points.
Sometimes everything just blends together and becomes a bit messy. I would have liked the album to be a bit more sharp(don't know how to put it).

I agree with this. Fran's voice seems to blend in more with the music on some of the tracks. I thought the same thing about Oasis' "Shock of the Lightning" the first time I heard it. I don't necessarily think this type of sound is bad, just different and something that takes a little getting used to. I think Ode is an amazing album. I'm in love with it. I can't choose a favorite but...it is one of Travis' best albums for sure.

I'm also a fan of the production on The Man Who and 12 Memories. They are perfectly produced albums - not too rough like Ode and not too polished like TBWNN. Good Feeling and TIB have great production as well, but there is something about the atmosphere created on The Man Who and 12 Memories that I love.

I think Nikki means "ambience", more professionally I guess. lol.

Yeah, I guess you could say it either way.

Thanks for.....pointing that out...

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Fri 21 Nov, 2008 4:42 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
On which songs does Fran's voice blend in with the music? :) I think Fran's voice is stronger on Ode than on The Boy With No Name. He was great on that of course but on Ode, he sounds brilliant. :)

Interesting hearing some people say there's a "2D sound" to it. That's TBWNN for me. I don't think they have to use this same method again but it'd be better than going back to TBWNN. I was listening to Coldplay's new EP last night and some of the tracks sound amazing in your ears. Swirls around your brain and it's amazing. I think Travis just need a producer that's going to make the music sound bigger. Long Way Down, for me is the exact opposite i was expecting from Ode in terms of the sound. Whereas Quite Free is more what i was expecting, along with Last Words and Chinese Blues and a few others. :)

Maybe we have different ears, I think Frans voice blends in with the music pretty much on all the tracks on Ode, it sometimes sounds like everything is recorded on the same track. I like it when Frans voice is clearer and stands out more..

Yes Coldplays EP sounds great, the songs are great too! Travis need to find the right producer indeed ;)

Nikki
Nikki Posted Fri 21 Nov, 2008 4:42 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:

Ben,

Fran's voice DOES sound brilliant on Ode...especially love it on Broken Mirror and when he belts out that amazing scream on Long Way Down. It's not about the quality of Fran's voice, because he ALWAYS sounds amazing, it's about the production and how the music and his voice were mixed together on a few of the tracks that make the song as a whole it a bit muffled. I think it's most noticeable on Chinese Blues. But like I said, this isn't a BAD thing...just different. And I love Chinese Blues, it's one of the best songs on the album.

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Fri 21 Nov, 2008 4:51 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:

Ben,

Fran's voice DOES sound brilliant on Ode...especially love it on Broken Mirror and when he belts out that amazing scream on Long Way Down. It's not about the quality of Fran's voice, because he ALWAYS sounds amazing, it's about the production and how the music and his voice were mixed together on a few of the tracks that make the song as a whole it a bit muffled. I think it's most noticeable on Chinese Blues. But like I said, this isn't a BAD thing...just different. And I love Chinese Blues, it's one of the best songs on the album.

Yes it's most noticeable on Chinese Blues and in the chorus on Something Anything....I think...
And yes Frans voice is always brilliant, that's why I want it to stand out more. Do I make any sense?
First I thought I had got a bad copy of the album, but I understood later that this was the way they wanted it to sound ;)

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Fri 21 Nov, 2008 5:59 PM Quote
I wasn't saying you didn't like his voice. :) I understand. :) I can hear what you mean i suppose. His voice isn't as sharp. Better like that i think. :) Not his voice, the sound of it all together as a whole. :)

paulo
paulo Posted Fri 21 Nov, 2008 6:34 PM Quote
It's just got more of a "live" feel to it that's all.It's not been overly produced with 10 tracks or whatever for the drums.I think it adds to the feel and character of the album.

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Fri 21 Nov, 2008 7:01 PM Quote
Ben - I agree that TBWNN definitely lacked a spark, and it was too polished. But I dunno, maybe its about finding that right balance. Basically that sound swirling all around you head on the Coldplay album is what I want lol.

I don't know if this is in relation to how the tracks were recorded/produced, or just how they were played, but Song To Self is my least favorite track on the album because it just sounds messy and indecipherable to me. And I'm not a fan of the latter part of Chinese Blues either, where it starts to get 'messy' as well. And that Dougie backing vocal just sounds weird to me. :s

J. Smith on the other hand, especially those first few notes, is really crisp. I'd like more J. Smiths and less Song To Self's in the future. :P

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Fri 21 Nov, 2008 7:49 PM Quote
I think it's strange because it feels like some songs are more messy and some of them are much "clearer", sharp(or what word you'd like to use, I'm not sure how to put it)

I think Last Words and BYWY sounds wonderful, without being overproduced at all....But Chinese Blues, Song To Self, Something Anything sounds too messy sometimes, without taking away that these may be the best songs written for the album?

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Fri 21 Nov, 2008 7:51 PM Quote
I don't want Travis to sound like Coldplay though. I think they're two different cups of tea ;)

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Fri 21 Nov, 2008 7:51 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:

The way I see it is that whilst TBWNN is not the most diverse album ever produced (the 2-D that you referred to), it is recorded well and it has more textures and flavours than Ode. Listening to it now, the chord-strumming guitar has almost exactly the same sound throughout the first 5 songs and it's a bit 2-D in that aspect. For me, the album comes alive after Last Words, but compared to TMW the ambience is... sparse shall we say.

I'd like to say that I really, really like Ode, but I'm struggling to love it. The album has a Good Feeling, er, feeling about it - it had the potential to be great but maybe instead it will just be a stepping-stone to a true classic.

Ursina wrote:
I am a big fan of the 'Nigel Godrich school of producing' :)

Absolutely, I think that 12 Memories sounds amazing.

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Fri 21 Nov, 2008 7:55 PM Quote
Now I am no expert but there has to be a sacrifice between vocals and the music projection. Decisions were made . The right ones in my opinion. Except 'long way down' where the decision , on record ,was to project Frans voice .Seems most would have preferred the raw on that. Bloody typical ! Can't please everyone. The album is superb on sound , you can't compare Colday as they don't have the same body in their music .

This music responds best on equipment that brings out the qualities of TRAVIS which they are showing off and equates more to their live performance.

For peats sake guys and gals give em a break! its for your bemefit GO and invest in some decent equipment!!

Luke, STS is my least favourite too but its more to do with musical taste than recording and I suspect its really the same for you.

Kristy
Kristy Posted Fri 21 Nov, 2008 8:29 PM Quote
Somewhere Else wrote:
you can't compare Colday as they don't have the same body in their music .

I hate Coldplay (well ... Chris Martin) but you can't say Viva La Vida lacks body, surely?

Somewhere Else wrote:

This music responds best on equipment that brings out the qualities of TRAVIS which they are showing off and equates more to their live performance.

For peats sake guys and gals give em a break! its for your bemefit GO and buy some decent equipment!!

Decent equipment? Like what exactly? And if Travis want their fans to only listen to their albums on "decent equipment" then there's something really wrong somewhere (but I'm pretty sure their not really arsed about what people use to listen to music!!)

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Fri 21 Nov, 2008 8:54 PM Quote
Not at all. I am saying the option of as near as live is available- on the right equipment. A plus .

Kristy
Kristy Posted Fri 21 Nov, 2008 8:57 PM Quote
Somewhere Else wrote:
Not at all. I am saying the option of as near as live is available- on the right equipment. A plus .

I can't see it making a difference ... sometimes, IMO, live is worse. But each to their own ...

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next All Times BST Current Time 2:33 AM