Travis

Re: Death penalty or not?
bara
bara Posted Mon 10 Nov, 2008 7:44 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
minnmess wrote:
rebekah wrote:
I don't believe in it. I guess it is good as a deterrent

I dont think it is a deterrent. I dont know stats on all countries, but certainly many countries that still use the death penalty have higher rates of murder than those without. That cant be the only issue involved, as you also have to look at things like laws on gun possession, etc, but I dont think it really works as a deterrent.
Not to hard on a Canadian/US comparison, but it is the one that is most readily avaliable to me.
Homicide rate in Canada is 1.9 per 100000 (no death penalty)
Homicide rate in the US is 5.6 per 100000 (death penalty)

Did I also hear somewher that Canada has more guns per head of capita than the US, less restrictive gun laws than most States in the US but Canada still has a much less occurrence of gun crime ???

Dubz

i think those having-weapons-is-allowed-law is totally crap.
problem is only you cant really solve it, can you? even if there is that law that everyone has to give guns,.. away some not registered will still be there and.. those who got the unregistered guns are those who will use..
hmm.. could somebody please change that?

im against guns at home n stuff. i know, and im sorry, its off-topic, but what do you think about that?

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Mon 10 Nov, 2008 7:49 PM Quote

there was a thread about this recently...

I'm kinda on the fence, I do believe in protecting one's own family/property, but can see no reason to own and keep at home an M16 assualt rifle for example.

Dubz

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Mon 10 Nov, 2008 7:59 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:
I don’t believe in the Death penalty. For one, I just think it’s hypocritical for a government to say “you killed someone, so now we’re going to kill you.” I don’t think they should have that right. Plus, it’s an unfairly administered practice. Far more minorities and men get the death penalty then white people and women, on average. And poor people get it more than rich people because of representation.
I also don’t agree with it because DNA evidence is not 100 percent accurate and there is always a chance someone could be innocent. There have been many instances were innocent people have sat in jail or on death row for years and they’ve been set free because the court’s original ruling was wrong.

I agree with you 100%.
I'm doing a seminar about justice, police and prisions, and what you say has been prooved in many studies about this. Poor people and minorities are the biggest part of the clients of the Prison system.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 10 Nov, 2008 8:03 PM Quote
Dubz, i think i misread your post the first time. You were saying that Canada has more guns, but less violence (essentially?).
Im not sure there is a way to prove that for sure because hand gun ownership in Canada is essentially illegal. So i dont know how their would be stats on that are 100% accurate. However, i just read that 27% of Canadians own guns. That being said, i would bet that a large majority of those are for hunting considering the huge amount of wilderness in Canada. gun ownership in urban communities is significantly lower. Furthermore, all firearms have to be registered and the owner has to be licensed with the government. Even people like security guards cant carry guns.
In contrast, ive just read that approx 25% of american adults own guns. So, similar numbers on that front. As to how that breaks down with handguns/hunting riffles, i have no idea. Anyone know how gun licensing works in the US?

Just read this. Kind of scary:
American children are more at risk from firearms than the children of any other industrialized nation. In one year, firearms killed no children in Japan, 19 in Great Britain, 57 in Germany, 109 in France, 153 in Canada, and 5,285 in the United States.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Mon 10 Nov, 2008 8:13 PM Quote
I am very much against guns. I don’t like that people can just carry them around. It creeps me out and I think it’s wrong. Way too many people die in this country because of gun crimes. Look at all the school shootings, for example. Criminals are going to find ways to get guns no matter what, but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try to keep them off the streets and limit their use. I can understand owning a gun for hunting, but that’s about it. Like Dubz said, none of this assault rifle business. It makes zero sense. I have a buddy who is like the biggest pro-gun guy on the face of the Earth and he’s tried to explain his side of the argument to me a million times. “People kill people, guns don’t kill people.” I’m sorry. That is the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard. The only good argument for keeping guns is if the people of a nation want to overthrow their totalitarian, oppressive government or something like that. This country was based on a revolution and it’s not fair to take that right away from people, I suppose. But I still don’t like guns, lol.

(Peace and love…peace and love) :P

minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 10 Nov, 2008 8:17 PM Quote
Yup. i could never own a gun or have one in my house. Even a hunting one. We have a cottage up north and hunting is pretty common there and i just want to yell at them to stop hurting the bears and mooseys and dear.
Peace and love, Nikki. Peace and love.

bara
bara Posted Mon 10 Nov, 2008 8:18 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
Dubz, i think i misread your post the first time. You were saying that Canada has more guns, but less violence (essentially?).
Im not sure there is a way to prove that for sure because hand gun ownership in Canada is essentially illegal. So i dont know how their would be stats on that are 100% accurate. However, i just read that 27% of Canadians own guns. That being said, i would bet that a large majority of those are for hunting considering the huge amount of wilderness in Canada. gun ownership in urban communities is significantly lower. Furthermore, all firearms have to be registered and the owner has to be licensed with the government. Even people like security guards cant carry guns.
In contrast, ive just read that approx 25% of american adults own guns. So, similar numbers on that front. As to how that breaks down with handguns/hunting riffles, i have no idea. Anyone know how gun licensing works in the US?

American children are more at risk from firearms than the children of any other industrialized nation. In one year, firearms killed no children in Japan, 19 in Great Britain, 57 in Germany, 109 in France, 153 in Canada, and 5,285 in the United States.

terrifying numbers...

i dont know what its about the license.. but i just heard from a friend that his grandpa or someone similar worked at the gun "shop" at a walmart. like "okay, we need cheese, milk, eggs and a gun".. i cant stand that

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Mon 10 Nov, 2008 8:23 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:
I am very much against guns. I don’t like that people can just carry them around. It creeps me out and I think it’s wrong. Way too many people die in this country because of gun crimes. Look at all the school shootings, for example. Criminals are going to find ways to get guns no matter what, but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try to keep them off the streets and limit their use. I can understand owning a gun for hunting, but that’s about it. Like Dubz said, none of this assault rifle business. It makes zero sense. I have a buddy who is like the biggest pro-gun guy on the face of the Earth and he’s tried to explain his side of the argument to me a million times. “People kill people, guns don’t kill people.” I’m sorry. That is the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard. The only good argument for keeping guns is if the people of a nation want to overthrow their totalitarian, oppressive government or something like that. This country was based on a revolution and it’s not fair to take that right away from people, I suppose. But I still don’t like guns, lol.

I hate that fucking stupid one shittin track moronic fucking arguement.

Guns don't Kill People, People Kill People.

Yeah but it's a damn fucking easier if you have a gun!!

You can use the same arguement for... Heroin, Crack, Alcohol, etc. etc.

Dubz

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Mon 10 Nov, 2008 8:30 PM Quote
I don't agree with the death penalty or legal gun ownership, when the red mist rises it's a hell of a lot easier to do something you'd regret if you have a gun to hand.

minnmess wrote:

What I think is worrying is that some Americans don't know this, or even worse, do know this but still think it's better to legalise guns. I think the laws will be changed at some point (in the distant future), what do the Americans amongst us think?

Nikki
Nikki Posted Mon 10 Nov, 2008 8:33 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Nikki wrote:

I hate that fucking stupid one shittin track moronic fucking arguement.

Guns don't Kill People, People Kill People.

Yeah but it's a damn fucking easier if you have a gun!!

You can use the same arguement for... Heroin, Crack, Alcohol, etc. etc.

Dubz

Totally!!!

We agree on something, Dubz! Yay! ;)

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Mon 10 Nov, 2008 8:36 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:
Totally!!!

We agree on loads of stuff, I just like argueing ;op

Dubz

bara
bara Posted Mon 10 Nov, 2008 8:39 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Nikki wrote:
Totally!!!

We agree on loads of stuff, I just like argueing ;op

Dubz

good for discussions. like that ;)

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Mon 10 Nov, 2008 8:41 PM Quote
the boy with a cryptic name wrote:
I don't agree with the death penalty or legal gun ownership, when the red mist rises it's a hell of a lot easier to do something you'd regret if you have a gun to hand.

There's a line in True Romance "It's better to have a gun and not need it, then to need a gun and not have it", and in fairness if someone was threatening me and mine I'd want every advantage.

Dubz

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Mon 10 Nov, 2008 8:54 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

there was a thread about this recently...

I'm kinda on the fence, I do believe in protecting one's own family/property, but can see no reason to own and keep at home an M16 assualt rifle for example.

Dubz

I could hit 300 meters pretty easy with those . To me I have no problem if someone wants one , I know gun collecters , it's just a hobby to them . To take one out in the street is nutz though

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Mon 10 Nov, 2008 9:07 PM Quote
Exactly, I'm actually a 2nd Class Marksman with a Lee Enfield 303 mkIV and an Enfield L85 (SA80).

However even though I do enjoy shooting these guns, I would have no problem whatsoever leaving them at a gun club in a "safe room" I see no reason to have this type of weapon at home.

Dubz

Pages Previous 1 2 [3] 4 Next All Times BST Current Time 9:36 PM