Travis

Death penalty or not?
Hanne
Hanne Posted Mon 10 Nov, 2008 2:00 PM Quote
I know it’s difficult question but it’s been on my mind since I saw this documentary last night about how death penalty was abolished in Denmark.

A short resume about the documentary: the debate was sparked in the 1880s when a man was to be publicly executed for murder. At that time, all executions were beheadings. The executioner slipped while swinging the axe so that he basically chopped the shoulder off the murderer. Eventually he managed to chop the head off, but it sparked a debate. About then years later, there was a man who wanted the death penalty because he didn’t want to rot in jail. Three times he attacked prison wardens and all three times he was sentenced to death; however, the King pardoned him two times because he refused to sign death penalties. The third time he agreed to do it and the guy was beheaded, albeit not in public as had been usual. After that, no one was executed and death penalty was abolished in the 1930s. However, it was re-installed after WWII for traitors, and this time they were to be shot. The Government couldn’t find anyone who wanted to take on the task until the police were ordered to do it whether they wanted to or not. The last person was executed around 1950.

And now to the point: what is your opinion on death penalty? The documentary didn’t make it easier. I would say that I’m against penalty, mainly because there is a chance that people may be killed although they’re innocent. Sometimes it might also be worse to rot in jail like the guy mentioned above. Furthermore, this eye for an eye attitude doesn’t always make things better. Then again, if someone in my family got brutally killed, I’m sure I’d want to see the murderer dead. Is it all a question about revenge?

Re: Death penalty or not?
bara
bara Posted Mon 10 Nov, 2008 2:13 PM Quote
isnt it the same with medicide, i mean helping someone to death?

both hard to answer cause of lotsof arguments..

well i think penalty is not right at all. that would make the government as bad as the guy to behead. thats not the way the world should act. like an eye for an eye or something.
no, im against that...
but if someone in prison wants to die cause of the live long imprisonment and its sure that he/she is in fully consciousness (or however to say that, you know what i mean i hope).. its more like help to suicide because of a fact which is not to change at anytime (fact = imprisonment)..
and thats something else than penalty.

there we are. think it would be better to think of medicide and where to set the limits.

what do you think?

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Mon 10 Nov, 2008 2:27 PM Quote
I agree with the Death Penalty in principle but not in actuality. 1. Can you be 100% sure that someone has committed the exact crime. 2. If you institude the death penalty for someone for example who rapes and murders 20 kids, where do you draw the line ? Rape and murder of 10 kids, Rape and murder of 1 kid, Murder of 1 kid, Rape of 1 kid, Rape and murder of 20 women, Rape and murder of 10 women, Rape and murder of 1 woman, Murder of 1 Woman, Rape of 1 woman, Statutory Rape of a woman (underage but tells the perpetrator she's of concesnual age, met in a nightclub) ????

The system will always be open to interpretation and as such open to mistakes. Therefore I cannot condone the death penalty as a acceptable form of punishment.

As for the rotting in prison, I think your condemned man has absolutely no right whatsoever to request death, perhaps if he didn't want to rot in jail he should have thought of that before committing his crimes.

Dubz

minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 10 Nov, 2008 2:33 PM Quote
I dont believe in the dealth penalty, but it's sometimes really hard to justify why someone who murders is allowed to have their own life. But there are too many issues, both moral and legal, that could ever lead to be believe in the death penalty.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Mon 10 Nov, 2008 2:38 PM Quote
There is also the scientific arguement...

Should we keep these people under observation/study to find out exacty what "makes them tick" what causes them to act this way in our society. Prevention would be a better way to go...??

Dubz

*edit*
Many people deserve death, there are also many that die that deserve life, we cannot give it to them so maybe we shouldn't be so quick to take it away.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Mon 10 Nov, 2008 3:11 PM Quote
I think it's more torturous to let a criminal live out their natural life in prison than to execute them.

And I don't mean minimum security prison. I mean they are in a tiny cell and get food and water and have a toilet but not much else.

That seems a more fitting punishment to me than death.

Now as Dubz said, who deserves this? I'm too tired to define that but I just see too many problems with the death penalty to really defend it. And as I said, I think a confined life is worse.

bara
bara Posted Mon 10 Nov, 2008 3:12 PM Quote
i think we shoudnt be allowed to decide for or against a life. neither a murderer nor the people or the government..

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Mon 10 Nov, 2008 3:14 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
There is also the scientific arguement...

Should we keep these people under observation/study to find out exacty what "makes them tick" what causes them to act this way in our society. Prevention would be a better way to go...??

Dubz

*edit*
Many people deserve death, there are also many that die that deserve life, we cannot give it to them so maybe we shouldn't be so quick to take it away.

Ah yes. Eugenics, the foundation of many a nazi ideology..

bara
bara Posted Mon 10 Nov, 2008 3:14 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
I think it's more torturous to let a criminal live out their natural life in prison than to execute them.

And I don't mean minimum security prison. I mean they are in a tiny cell and get food and water and have a toilet but not much else.

That seems a more fitting punishment to me than death.

Now as Dubz said, who deserves this? I'm too tired to define that but I just see too many problems with the death penalty to really defend it. And as I said, I think a confined life is worse.

but you also have to think of the money you put into a human in prison who did worst things. mean everyone outsides paying for his/her bread and water..

hum,... that discussion is interesting...

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Mon 10 Nov, 2008 3:23 PM Quote
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) wrote:

True, look at J. Robert Oppenheimer who split the atom "Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Sometimes we do things for the right reason only to find out we wish we could undo them. Alfred Nobel - Dynamite is another example.

Dubz

Hanne
Hanne Posted Mon 10 Nov, 2008 3:24 PM Quote
bara wrote:
weirdmom wrote:

but you also have to think of the money you put into a human in prison who did worst things. mean everyone outsides paying for his/her bread and water..

I hadn't thought of that argument. I suppose it's more expensive to keep them in prison. However, many death row inmates stay on death row for 10 years or more before the execution anyway. Hmm.

The only argument in favour of death penalty, in my opinion, is revenge.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Mon 10 Nov, 2008 3:28 PM Quote
Hanne wrote:
bara wrote:
weirdmom wrote:

I hadn't thought of that argument. I suppose it's more expensive to keep them in prison. However, many death row inmates stay on death row for 10 years or more before the execution anyway. Hmm.

I also heard somewhere (maybe an urban myth) but that the life expectancy of certain kids in certain areas of LA are greater if you get the death penalty for a murder than if you stay living on the streets because the waiting time is that long ???

Dubz

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Mon 10 Nov, 2008 3:29 PM Quote
bara wrote:

I believe (though I am not sure) that studies have shown it's more expensive to execute them because there are many many court hearings, appeals, etc. that happen before they are put to death.

bara
bara Posted Mon 10 Nov, 2008 3:40 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) wrote:

True, look at J. Robert Oppenheimer who split the atom "Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Sometimes we do things for the right reason only to find out we wish we could undo them. Alfred Nobel - Dynamite is another example.

Dubz

agree
sometimes decisions are made cause of the right reasons.. and if nobody risks doing it it would never be known as a wrong choice..

aah bad english, sorry

bara
bara Posted Mon 10 Nov, 2008 3:45 PM Quote
Hanne wrote:
bara wrote:
weirdmom wrote:

i dunno if its a good revenge to see someone dying. i think id feel like im not better than this guy. its just like back-murder or something...

IF they HAVE to do penalty.. then at least they ONLY ONLY VERY ONLY should do it, if its 100% clear that the guy to be murdered by "right" is really the one who did "it".

Pages [1] 2 3 4 Next All Times BST Current Time 4:54 PM