Travis

Re: What is the capital of Germany?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Fri 07 Nov, 2008 3:58 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:
minnmess wrote:

People generally don't know my nation's capital either.

Is it Ottawa?

Yeah. It is. A lot of people think Detroit is the capital of Michigan too.

IT'S NOT???!!! (*Shock*)

Nikki
Nikki Posted Fri 07 Nov, 2008 4:06 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
Nikki wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:
minnmess wrote:

People generally don't know my nation's capital either.

Is it Ottawa?

Yeah. It is. A lot of people think Detroit is the capital of Michigan too.

IT'S NOT???!!! (*Shock*)

Nope, sorry K-Dawg. Just another reason why it’s so cold in the D. We don’t get no respect, lol.

AbsGinger
AbsGinger Posted Fri 07 Nov, 2008 4:07 PM Quote
es ist Bonn

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Fri 07 Nov, 2008 4:25 PM Quote
silvella wrote:

Nikki, keep cool! It is Berlin, but it WAS Bonn before the reunification of Germany and the German Democratic Republic. Hope you've heard of the Fall of the Wall in 1989? Seen from the outside, it is a totally crazy story! Or can you imagine that people were not allowed to travel where they want to or have to wait for a car 20 years long? In central Europe in the 80's??!! Thank god it's over!

He didn't ask her what the capital of West Germany was 19 years ago. He asked her what it is now. So while it's not completely off base for him to say Bonn it's also not accurate.

To throw my opinion out there, I don't expect other countries to know all the USA states' capitals, even their names. I certainly don't know that info about every country.

Also it seems pretty clear that those videos showing people giving dumb answers to question is all about the editing. It's not funny to show someone giving the right answer. These videos could be made in any country.

I took geography in high school and loved it. My final grade was 99%. I don't remember everything and countries have changed since then but I'm glad to have some foundation because it wasn't just maps, it also touched on cultural and political issues for each country.

Monica
Monica Posted Fri 07 Nov, 2008 5:22 PM Quote
lilly wrote:
Btw: if we take that "can you name all the capitals of all 50 States" a little further, we would have to be able to name the Capitals of the Spanish "Comunidades Autónomas", the German "Federal States (16)", the Chinese Provinces and regions, etc etc etc, too, if you see what I mean... ;)

I know the names and where every single capital of the Spanish Comunidades Autónomas are, but I have no idea about other countries.

And why some Americans think Spain is near Mexico? :O *lol*

ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Fri 07 Nov, 2008 5:59 PM Quote
Monica wrote:

another broad generalization about Americans.

AbsGinger
AbsGinger Posted Fri 07 Nov, 2008 5:59 PM Quote
Monica wrote:
lilly wrote:
Btw: if we take that "can you name all the capitals of all 50 States" a little further, we would have to be able to name the Capitals of the Spanish "Comunidades Autónomas", the German "Federal States (16)", the Chinese Provinces and regions, etc etc etc, too, if you see what I mean... ;)

I know the names and where every single capital of the Spanish Comunidades Autónomas are, but I have no idea about other countries.

2 words : maps shortage

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Fri 07 Nov, 2008 6:38 PM Quote
Argentina is a huge country and we can't hop on a train and go to another country either, but I think that knowing or not knowing geographical facts has more to do with the type of education you receive. Nationality has nothing to do with it (imo).

Megg, I totally understand you when you talk about those questions! We have to deal with our own ones:
An English girl once asked me if Argentina was in Rio de Janeiro. An American woman asked me if it was in Russia.
An Australian guy asked me if we had cars...
The setereotype is to relate South America in general to drugs, indians, coffee, poverty... and I don't know if anything else haha. No distinction between countries, so let alone provinces or states inside each one xD.

AbsGinger
AbsGinger Posted Fri 07 Nov, 2008 6:41 PM Quote
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:
Argentina is a huge country and we can't hop on a train and go to another country either, but I think that knowing or not knowing geographical facts has more to do with the type of education you receive. Nationality has nothing to do with it (imo).

Megg, I totally understand you when you talk about those questions! We have to deal with our own ones:
An English girl once asked me if Argentina was in Rio de Janeiro. An American woman asked me if it was in Russia.
An Australian guy asked me if we had cars...
The setereotype is to relate South America in general to drugs, indians, coffee, poverty... and I don't know if anything else haha. No distinction between countries, so let alone provinces or states inside each one xD.

you forgot to mention plastic surgery for Brazil

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Fri 07 Nov, 2008 6:49 PM Quote
AbsGinger wrote:

you forgot to mention plastic surgery for Brazil

Haha, I didn't know that one!

Monica
Monica Posted Fri 07 Nov, 2008 6:55 PM Quote
ElspethOllie wrote:
Monica wrote:

I said: some Americans, didn't I?

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Fri 07 Nov, 2008 7:04 PM Quote
Monica wrote:
ElspethOllie wrote:
Monica wrote:

I said: some Americans, didn't I?

Duh! Everyone knows Spain is in South America! ;o)

ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Fri 07 Nov, 2008 7:19 PM Quote
What was wrong with saying some people in general?

silvella
silvella Posted Fri 07 Nov, 2008 7:37 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:
*sigh* Of course I have.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I agree with Kayte that because of our geographical location, Americans are far more isolated and many don’t know much about other countries and their cultures because we can’t jump on a train and travel there as easily. But isn’t it the same for Canadians? How come they aren’t labeled with the same stereotypes? Having said that, America has some of the most highly educated people in the world and to make such a sweeping generalization and claim Americans on a whole are stupid is asinine. I, like many of my fellow Americans on the board, know a lot about geography. I went to college, got a degree, took classes on world geography, relations, politics, culture, religion and history. I’ve only been outside of North America once (to Poland for a month), but I feel I have a pretty good grasp on what is going on in the world. (To clarify, MoreThanMe didn’t come out and say the word “stupid,” but it’s a view that other countries seem to have of us for some odd reason).

Megg, I can't stand when people make Polish jokes, and I'm third generation, so I can't imagine how it feels for you to hear all that crap.

Also, I don’t think that knowing all 50 US states and their capitals equals knowing the countries of Europe, for example, and their capitals. That’s two different levels of “importance.” If we said that, we’d have to know all the providences in Canada and their capitals. Which I don’t think any of us could do off the top of our heads…except for Kristy maybe.

Oh, don't get me wrong! I didn't want to insinuate that you don't know this special piece of german history (or geography). Anybody knows... should know this. While reading this thread, I caught that people are very focused to their home country or continent. And I think that's okay if you don't forget to see further than your own nose. But reproaches are inappropriate if someone doesn't know the capital of... whatever. It's never to late to learn it! Like Kristy... great job, dear! 99%! Wow!

Nikki, I was totally surprised that you feel isolated in the USA?? For most Europeans, the USA seems to be the centre of the world! The land where dreams come true... and so on. Europe is great, I love the culture escpecially in France, but when I look at pictures of... Blue Ridge Mountains or the coastlines at the east coast or the Grand Canyon... you don't find such a vastness of landscapes in Europe. Texas for example is double the size of Germany!

Phew, I could go on writing for hours, and I hope that you understand my Mischmasch (hihi, today I've learnt that this german word is used in USA), mostly it's not easy to express in english what I want to say.

Night!!

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Fri 07 Nov, 2008 7:51 PM Quote
silvella wrote:

Nikki, I was totally surprised that you feel isolated in the USA?? For most Europeans, the USA seems to be the centre of the world!

What I meant (and I think Nikki means) about being isolated is precisely because of what you said. We isolate ourselves because the world comes to us. We are not having to go out of our way to seek the world.

Pages Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Next All Times BST Current Time 7:04 PM