Travis

What is the capital of Germany?
Nikki
Nikki Posted Fri 07 Nov, 2008 12:41 AM Quote
MoreThanMe was trying to prove a point in the chat that Americans don't know anything about geography by asking me to quickly answer what the capital of Germany is without looking it up online. My answer: Berlin.

Everyone else in the chat thought it was Berlin as well, but he only asked me because I'm the "stupid" American, I guess.

He said I'm wrong and that it's Bonn.

After he left the chat, Luke, Kristy and I checked Wiki and it says it IS in fact Berlin.

German bordies: what is your current capital? Bonn or Berlin?

Thanks. :)
-Nikki-

PS: If it IS in fact Bonn...fine. I learned something new. However, I'm offended I was the only one asked this question in the chat because I'm American when none of us knew for sure.

Re: What is the capital of Germany?
weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Fri 07 Nov, 2008 12:44 AM Quote
It's Berlin.

Bonn was the capital of the former West Germany.

Edit: And I, an American, did not look that up. I just know it.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Fri 07 Nov, 2008 12:46 AM Quote
Why thank you, Anne.

:)

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Fri 07 Nov, 2008 12:51 AM Quote

"G"

Dubz

Meridith
Meridith Posted Fri 07 Nov, 2008 1:19 AM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

"G"

Dubz

lol!

lilly
lilly Posted Fri 07 Nov, 2008 1:24 AM Quote
oh. my. god.
GUYS!!!! I'm shocked... ;p

(oh and please don't get confused if you ever see an ad saying Munich is our "secret capital".)

Ok, now answer quickly:

Capital of Switzerland.
Capital of the Netherlands.
Capital of Turkey.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Fri 07 Nov, 2008 1:29 AM Quote
There must be a map shortage in MoreThanMe's city. Way to prove a point, man. You didn't know the answer to your own question.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Fri 07 Nov, 2008 1:46 AM Quote
lilly wrote:
oh. my. god.
GUYS!!!! I'm shocked... ;p

(oh and please don't get confused if you ever see an ad saying Munich is our "secret capital".)

Ok, now answer quickly:

Capital of Switzerland.
Capital of Turkey.

Bern, Amsterdam, sorry, dont know Turkey

Yulia Nox
Yulia Nox Posted Fri 07 Nov, 2008 1:48 AM Quote
lilly wrote:
Capital of Turkey.

amsterdam, ankara

ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Fri 07 Nov, 2008 1:50 AM Quote
Ankara!

Twas' in the geography bee in middle school.

Does this person know the geography of the US? Can they name all 50 states and capitals? A lot of people don't know about geography because they don't concern themselves with other cultures. And you know what, the same applies to people who aren't Americans! Go figure!

singme0430
singme0430 Posted Fri 07 Nov, 2008 5:06 AM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

"G"

Dubz

xD!!!!!

mili
mili Posted Fri 07 Nov, 2008 6:53 AM Quote
Yulia Nox wrote:
lilly wrote:
Capital of Turkey.

amsterdam

I was going to say The Hague from memory, but checked Wiki, which said
"While Amsterdam is the constitutional capital, The Hague is the seat of the government." No wonder I was confused.

mili
mili Posted Fri 07 Nov, 2008 7:06 AM Quote
ElspethOllie wrote:
Ankara!

Twas' in the geography bee in middle school.

Does this person know the geography of the US? Can they name all 50 states and capitals? A lot of people don't know about geography because they don't concern themselves with other cultures. And you know what, the same applies to people who aren't Americans! Go figure!

A friend of mine was visiting USA when she was asked where she was from. When the reply was Finland, the reaction was "Which state is that in?"

And for balance, a story from Europe:
My mother-in-law went to enquire about flight prices to Helsinki. The girl behind the counter, in England, asked "Where's that?"

And in the early 1990's a Barclay's bank clerk in London didn't recognise Finnish currency ("mark" then) and had to ask for help. For explanation he mumbled something about difficulty folowing the former communist countries.

I sort of understand the man in the US, Finland is a small country with few people and little power, but I'm surprised with the Europeans.

I don't think I would get full marks with the 50 states quiz, we sort of think of USA as one country. The European countries are (still) all independent and separate.

Lizzie b
Lizzie b Posted Fri 07 Nov, 2008 10:09 AM Quote
ElspethOllie wrote:

AH i couldn't say it better myself.

mili wrote:
I don't think I would get full marks with the 50 states quiz, we sort of think of USA as one country. The European countries are (still) all independent and separate.

yes, but the US is a BIG country! knowing all the states and capitals is equivalent (roughly) to knowing all the European countries and their capitals (as far as size/quantity)! it is unfair to criticize us for not making the effort, when Europeans can't either.

gah! i am so sick of Europeans thinking Americans are such idiots. well, some of us are, but then again some of YOU are too. Riddle me this: who can name all African countries and capitals? In the US every classroom had a map of the world and a map of the US; not a map of Europe or Africa by themselves. Let's face it, if we are not confronted w/ it everyday, it is not as easy to learn. May i ALSO point out that the states name's and capital's never change. Countries and their capitals DO. it is harder to keep up w/ it. so get off our backs already!

sorry, i have some pent-up frustration w/ living in the UK. it is time for me go home...

Moray
Moray Posted Fri 07 Nov, 2008 10:29 AM Quote
I wouldn't have got the Turkey one, but now you say it, it makes sense!

We do a weekly pub quiz, and occasionally they do really annoyingly difficult US Geography questions. We're usually ok with state capitals, however the questions on administrative state capitals are a total bitch!!

I was really impressed at a friends answer recently at the quiz - they got the correct answer to the capital of Tazmania. Here's a fun one everyone whats the capital of Australia - everyone always slips up on this one!!

I think it's unfortunate to still stigmatise the American people into a generic 'ignorant' mould. Lots of our boardies are far better travelled than I am - I know Lauren, Anne & Kristy have all scooted round Europe someplace. And lots of people from the UK are supremely ignorant of their own country, let alone foreign geography.

I still mix up all the capital cities of the Scandanavian countries.

Pages [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Times BST Current Time 9:27 AM