Travis

Re: Today's News of YOU
TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Thu 20 Nov, 2008 9:05 PM Quote
lilly wrote:
TheBoyWithAName wrote:
lilly wrote:
TheBoyWithAName wrote:
You don't want to hear me say youtube with a swedish accent.

haha, nor me with a German accent ;)

Ja-Schübe?

Bless you!
(or was that supposed to be a word?)

(btw, Americans: I heard you say "Gesundheit" sometimes???)

hehe just me trying to imitate German :$

minnmess
minnmess Posted Thu 20 Nov, 2008 9:11 PM Quote
mili wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:
lilly wrote:

(btw, Americans: I heard you say "Gesundheit" sometimes???)

Gesundheit is a fine word, maybe that's the reason. After spending some time in Germany we use some German words that seem to express certain subjects better than English words would. For example there's the word "Nebenkosten", which covers all sorts of extra expenses a tenant has to pay on top of the rent (heating, water etc, can't remember what, Lilly, help!!). Convinient way to say it in one word.

Finland is a bi-lingual country, the majority speaks Finnish and about 5 % Swedish. I happen to live in an area with a reasonably high amount of Swedish speakers, and it's interesting to hear them use Finnish words that don't have a straight translation into Swedish. One word like that is "tuliaiset", which means a gift you take to the hosts when you go and visit them in their home. It also means something you bring back from a trip. Sort of coming in present.

We say bless you and Gesundheit.
Those extras are called "amenities" here

There is this French grouo that volunteers at a place where i used to, and their conversations about Tim Horton's runs always made me laugh. "french french french la blueberry bagel french french frech double double." Clearly there are french words for those. It was always funny.

lilly
lilly Posted Thu 20 Nov, 2008 9:21 PM Quote
mili wrote:

Gesundheit is a fine word, maybe that's the reason. After spending some time in Germany we use some German words that seem to express certain subjects better than English words would. For example there's the word "Nebenkosten", which covers all sorts of extra expenses a tenant has to pay on top of the rent (heating, water etc, can't remember what, Lilly, help!!). Convinient way to say it in one word.

well, Nebenkosten are everything you have to pay your landlord/-lady on top of the actual rent for your appartment/flat, e.g.: heating, warm water, garbage disposal, and the janitor.

electricity is extra.

lilly
lilly Posted Thu 20 Nov, 2008 9:25 PM Quote
TheBoyWithAName wrote:

Ja-Schübe?

Bless you!
(or was that supposed to be a word?)

(btw, Americans: I heard you say "Gesundheit" sometimes???) [/quote]

hehe just me trying to imitate German :$ [/quote]

interesting, so German sounds like "Ja-Schübe" to you? Hmhmhm...

mili
mili Posted Thu 20 Nov, 2008 9:30 PM Quote
lilly wrote:
mili wrote:

well, Nebenkosten are everything you have to pay your landlord/-lady on top of the actual rent for your appartment/flat, e.g.: heating, warm water, garbage disposal, and the janitor.

electricity is extra.

Thanks, Lilly! I always thought the German system is so complicated! Here you pay the rent, usually water included, and that's it. Electricity is not included, though, but I don't think it's anywhere.
We own the flat we live in, so we pay every month a certain one sum to the building association to cover all the Nebenkosten, again excluding electricity…

lilly
lilly Posted Thu 20 Nov, 2008 10:01 PM Quote
mili wrote:
lilly wrote:
mili wrote:

electricity is extra.

Thanks, Lilly! I always thought the German system is so complicated! Here you pay the rent, usually water included, and that's it. Electricity is not included, though, but I don't think it's anywhere.
We own the flat we live in, so we pay every month a certain one sum to the building association to cover all the Nebenkosten, again excluding electricity…

Hm maybe people here want to know exactly how much money they spend on garbage disposal etc(another good one: when there's a garage in the house, the "Nebenkosten" are higher because it needs maintenance), so it's not just a lump-sum included in the rent but "billed correctly" every month...?

Peewee
Peewee Posted Thu 20 Nov, 2008 10:23 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
mili wrote:

You could always say "terveydeksi" when somebody sneezes…

No, I don't think I could. ;o)

ROFLMAO!!!!!!! I love the way you put things Kayte!!! LOL

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 20 Nov, 2008 10:42 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:

There is this French group that volunteers at a place where i used to, and their conversations about Tim Horton's runs always made me laugh. "french french french la blueberry bagel french french french double double." Clearly there are french words for those. It was always funny.

Ha ha! That reminds me of the time I saw an Arabic woman and her two daughters discussing what type of feminine protection to buy. "Arabic Arabic Arabic Arabic maxi pad Arabic Arabic with wings Arabic Arabic."

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Sat 22 Nov, 2008 6:29 PM Quote
At 8.00 PM I'm gonna watch a swedish program called Stjärnor På Is(Stars On Ice), where celebrities compete against eacother in skating. There is a very cute Swedish host in that program ;) That's why I'm watching, she is a little skating queen :)

lilly
lilly Posted Sat 22 Nov, 2008 6:32 PM Quote
TheBoyWithAName wrote:
At 8.00 PM I'm gonna watch a swedish program called Stjärnor På Is(Stars On Ice), where celebrities compete against eacother in skating. There is a very cute Swedish host in that program ;) That's why I'm watching, she is a little skating queen :)

haha, we had two of those programmes last year. I wonder if they'll do them again... I hated the hostess, though ;)

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Sat 22 Nov, 2008 6:59 PM Quote
lilly wrote:
TheBoyWithAName wrote:

haha, we had two of those programmes last year. I wonder if they'll do them again... I hated the hostess, though ;)

Hehe the entertainment level is really low, but she's really cute on the other hand ;)
She's not the host of the show. She's one of the competitors, but she's renown for being a host ;)

http://www.lindau.se/html/programledare/html/images/josefine1.jpg

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Sat 22 Nov, 2008 9:15 PM Quote
I'm outraged !

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/11/18/bill-oreilly-smears-san-f_n_144734.html?page=13

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Sun 23 Nov, 2008 5:55 PM Quote
Today I've done some things outside the computer world ;)

I just watched King Kong, new version! It's pretty good I think, but a bit long and so sad at the end ;(

minnmess
minnmess Posted Sun 23 Nov, 2008 6:13 PM Quote

Do you really care what the viewers of the O Reilly Factor think?

Chiito-chan
Chiito-chan Posted Sun 23 Nov, 2008 7:04 PM Quote
Today I've eaten this:
http://www.apuntesdecocina.com/media/panettone_small.jpg
yummy!

Pages Previous 1...9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All Times BST Current Time 10:03 AM