Travis

Re: Where R U from? (Countries, Cities, Stories)
Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sun 19 Oct, 2008 11:16 AM Quote
RUTHIEBABE00 wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Scottish people are a proud nation but maybe it's time we learned some humility. We have a massive chip on our shoulder, It's always someone else's fault, and it's time we stopped blaming everyone else and actually got up off our collective arse and did something about it.

Dubz

Here here! Well said! Scotland is an amazing place... but there are those who have a massive chip on their shoulders... sadly like any country it has its faults too. Shame that this thread has gone sour because of something I said... It wasn't meant to be taken too seriously ... I was only referring to the area that I live in! NOT as Scots in general!

Don't worry about it, Threads in here have a habit of going off on a different tangent. While I disagree with Ewan McGregor's rant about "It's Shite being Scottish" in Trainspotting, I do think he raises a valid point. We are not the "chosen ones" it's not "God's Own Country", what gives us the right to think we are entitled to better things without having to work for it. Ok so we've been oppressed and treated like second class citizens in our own country but only because we prefer to moan about it than take action(remember the Poll Tax??). Lots of other nations have suffered the same fate, do we hear them bitch and moan ??

As for the stingey side of things... There is some truth to the yth of Scots being stingey, many years ago when people were not well off or even comfortable they were extremely careful with their money as every penny mattered, nowadays it's different, people can afford to be less frugal with their finances. And btw their are generous and stingey people all over the world to make a generalization that Scotland is a generous nation is a falsehood. We may have a bigger share of generous people or these gen erous people may give more than their counterparts in other nations but their are still a load of mean tight fisted arseholes in our country.

Dubz

Bellringer
Bellringer Posted Sun 19 Oct, 2008 1:36 PM Quote
Melbourne, in the south-east of Ausralia, I'm probably the last proper Travis fan left in the city, and a big city it is....

Amazing city it is, sport, music, fashion, art, sun, you name it, we've got it.....always been here, probably will settle here, but not before I go exploring the globe. Yet to visit Europe, I look forward to doing so....

kiwi
kiwi Posted Sun 19 Oct, 2008 10:19 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
RUTHIEBABE00 wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Scottish people are a proud nation but maybe it's time we learned some humility. We have a massive chip on our shoulder, It's always someone else's fault, and it's time we stopped blaming everyone else and actually got up off our collective arse and did something about it.

Dubz

Here here! Well said! Scotland is an amazing place... but there are those who have a massive chip on their shoulders... sadly like any country it has its faults too. Shame that this thread has gone sour because of something I said... It wasn't meant to be taken too seriously ... I was only referring to the area that I live in! NOT as Scots in general!

Don't worry about it, Threads in here have a habit of going off on a different tangent. While I disagree with Ewan McGregor's rant about "It's Shite being Scottish" in Trainspotting, I do think he raises a valid point. We are not the "chosen ones" it's not "God's Own Country", what gives us the right to think we are entitled to better things without having to work for it. Ok so we've been oppressed and treated like second class citizens in our own country but only because we prefer to moan about it than take action(remember the Poll Tax??). Lots of other nations have suffered the same fate, do we hear them bitch and moan ??

As for the stingey side of things... There is some truth to the yth of Scots being stingey, many years ago when people were not well off or even comfortable they were extremely careful with their money as every penny mattered, nowadays it's different, people can afford to be less frugal with their finances. And btw their are generous and stingey people all over the world to make a generalization that Scotland is a generous nation is a falsehood. We may have a bigger share of generous people or these gen erous people may give more than their counterparts in other nations but their are still a load of mean tight fisted arseholes in our country.

Dubz

Good points, living in Ireland, do you find much of a difference between Irish and Scottish attitudes, considering both countries share a similar (though obviously not exact) history?

I agree, there's tight fisted people everywhere, at least people are able to joke about it, every country has it's crappy myth they moan about, embrace it! I find it annoys people if I agree (ie. NZers being sheep shaggers) Scotland isn't alone.

RUTHIEBABE00
RUTHIEBABE00 Posted Sun 19 Oct, 2008 10:40 PM Quote
I find it annoys people if I agree (ie. NZers being sheep shaggers) Scotland isn't alone. [/quote]

Nice one... you're so right!

kiwi
kiwi Posted Sun 19 Oct, 2008 10:57 PM Quote
RUTHIEBABE00 wrote:
I find it annoys people if I agree (ie. NZers being sheep shaggers) Scotland isn't alone.

Nice one... you're so right! [/quote]

Haha, very occassionally I am... once I agreed with this slightly insane england supporter that the All Blacks were crap and deserved to lose the World Cup (which is true) I thought she was going to have a brain explosion :P.

Doro
Doro Posted Sun 19 Oct, 2008 11:08 PM Quote
Heyho, I`m from Velbert/Germany. That`s near Düsseldorf. I was born in Sierra Leone, West Africa, but live around here for 22 years now. Maybe because there is nice service in our restaurants - even in the italian^^. No, the real reason is of course my family. I would live wherever my familiy lives because I´d never compare the different countries. I worked in Florida for two months, visited England, France and Spain for several times and I really liked it, but home is where my familiy is. Just as simple.

Doro

kiwi
kiwi Posted Sun 19 Oct, 2008 11:21 PM Quote
Doro wrote:
Heyho, I`m from Velbert/Germany. That`s near Düsseldorf. I was born in Sierra Leone, West Africa, but live around here for 22 years now. Maybe because there is nice service in our restaurants - even in the italian^^. No, the real reason is of course my family. I would live wherever my familiy lives because I´d never compare the different countries. I worked in Florida for two months, visited England, France and Spain for several times and I really liked it, but home is where my familiy is. Just as simple.

Doro

Wow, Sierra Leone! How did your family come to be there?

Doro
Doro Posted Sun 19 Oct, 2008 11:35 PM Quote
My parents worked there. My father as a chemistry teacher and my mother led that school. Unfortunately I do not remember a thing. But I have a lot of photos and sometimes I feel a little like belonging there or just a kind of familiarity with African people. Not much left...

kiwi
kiwi Posted Mon 20 Oct, 2008 12:00 AM Quote
Doro wrote:
My parents worked there. My father as a chemistry teacher and my mother led that school. Unfortunately I do not remember a thing. But I have a lot of photos and sometimes I feel a little like belonging there or just a kind of familiarity with African people. Not much left...

That is seriously cool. Too bad you can't remember anything... do you think you'll ever go back to visit?

RUTHIEBABE00
RUTHIEBABE00 Posted Mon 20 Oct, 2008 12:39 AM Quote
kiwi wrote:
RUTHIEBABE00 wrote:
I find it annoys people if I agree (ie. NZers being sheep shaggers) Scotland isn't alone.

Haha, very occassionally I am... once I agreed with this slightly insane england supporter that the All Blacks were crap and deserved to lose the World Cup (which is true) I thought she was going to have a brain explosion :P. [/quote]

So sad that people take things to seriously!! They really need to get a life.. way more important things going on!

bogusblue
bogusblue Posted Mon 20 Oct, 2008 2:06 AM Quote
I was born in Mexico City, I have lived in Mexico City for the past 21 years, and I will probaly be living in Mexico City until I die xD. However I love my country, there are some things I'm not very proud of, but in general the people, the food, the culture are amazing :o).

Btw, I so envy the lot of you who have lived in so many places and countries :oP.

kiwi
kiwi Posted Mon 20 Oct, 2008 2:41 AM Quote
RUTHIEBABE00 wrote:
kiwi wrote:
RUTHIEBABE00 wrote:

Haha, very occassionally I am... once I agreed with this slightly insane england supporter that the All Blacks were crap and deserved to lose the World Cup (which is true) I thought she was going to have a brain explosion :P.

So sad that people take things to seriously!! They really need to get a life.. way more important things going on! [/quote]

I know! I seriously don't understand it. They need a chill pill... or some kind of pill...

Nell
Nell Posted Mon 20 Oct, 2008 3:04 PM Quote
Doro wrote:

Doro

haha...see! No bavarians there..

nono ...like the bavarians...since they can quit being a part of germany whenever they want ;) ...hehe..

"No we don't like Merkel---let's go and see whether we can join Austria" ;p

cheers

Nora

Monica
Monica Posted Mon 20 Oct, 2008 5:54 PM Quote
Bellringer wrote:
Melbourne, in the south-east of Ausralia, I'm probably the last proper Travis fan left in the city, and a big city it is....

Amazing city it is, sport, music, fashion, art, sun, you name it, we've got it.....always been here, probably will settle here, but not before I go exploring the globe. Yet to visit Europe, I look forward to doing so....

I would love to visit your country some day. I'm in love with Australia since I was a little girl. Don't know why really, hehe.

spid
spid Posted Mon 20 Oct, 2008 8:00 PM Quote
Doro wrote:

SNap!!!!!

Pages Previous 1...2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Next All Times BST Current Time 12:39 PM