8 Closer
9 Selfish Jean
10 Before You Were Young
11 Turn
12 I Kissed A Girl
13 Why Does It Always Rain On Me

Highlights

- free beer
- free chips with salsa, onion rings, chicken wings, miniburgers served by girls in what looked like nurses uniforms
- it was very sweaty
- fran telling a girl who didn't know what a pogo was to "f-off"
- free beer
- someone who looked like lily allen there (not really a highlight, but hey)
- jokes about it being called "soft rock cafe" so travis were going to be hard
- free beer
- the show is going to be broadcast on Q radio next Monday between 8 and 9 and it's on freeview apparently.

*hic*

Re: Hard Rock Cafe
nickynooboo
nickynooboo Posted Tue 14 Oct, 2008 8:20 AM Quote
oneofthe3 wrote:
1 Chinese Blues
2 J Smith
3 Writing To Reach You
4 A Long Way Down
5 Side
6 Sing
7 Song To Self
8 Closer
9 Selfish Jean
10 Before You Were Young
11 Turn
12 I Kissed A Girl
13 Why Does It Always Rain On Me

Highlights

- free beer
- free chips with salsa, onion rings, chicken wings, miniburgers served by girls in what looked like nurses uniforms
- it was very sweaty
- fran telling a girl who didn't know what a pogo was to "f-off"
- free beer
- someone who looked like lily allen there (not really a highlight, but hey)
- jokes about it being called "soft rock cafe" so travis were going to be hard
- free beer
- the show is going to be broadcast on Q radio next Monday between 8 and 9 and it's on freeview apparently.

*hic*

Jealousy is such a terrible thing.......but I have to admit I am VERY Jealous!

Sounds like you had a fabulous evening....the thought of eating chicken wings and onion wings while watching a live Travis gig seems to much to comprehend. Lucky, lucky thing!!

If you have an pics please post soon!!!!!!!!

x

nickynooboo
nickynooboo Posted Tue 14 Oct, 2008 8:21 AM Quote
Sorry, that should be onion rings....not wings. Never encountered flying onions so don't think they exist.

MoreThanMe
MoreThanMe Posted Tue 14 Oct, 2008 12:09 PM Quote
Yeah, unless your say, Jonathan Ross. In that case it actually would be Onion wings. Lol

thehitcher
thehitcher Posted Tue 14 Oct, 2008 12:17 PM Quote
oneofthe3 wrote:
and it's on freeview apparently.

ooo what freeview channel? Please spill the beans :-D

oneofthe3
oneofthe3 Posted Tue 14 Oct, 2008 12:49 PM Quote
Q radio is on freeview.

I also have a nice recording of the evening which i'll send to themanwho once q have broadcast it (so as they don't get heavy about it).

The onion rings were before the gig, not during. No pics sorry, but lots of people had cameras.

thehitcher
thehitcher Posted Tue 14 Oct, 2008 3:04 PM Quote
oneofthe3 wrote:
Q radio is on freeview.

I also have a nice recording of the evening which i'll send to themanwho once q have broadcast it (so as they don't get heavy about it).

The onion rings were before the gig, not during. No pics sorry, but lots of people had cameras.

Nice one, I will be tuning into that :-D I got confused when you said freeview I automatically assumed it was video footage hahaha. Glad you had a great night :-D

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Tue 14 Oct, 2008 3:29 PM Quote
Looks like a great night! Good set list. Can't wait to hear it. :) Hopefully someone will record it... lol

Mandy
Mandy Posted Tue 14 Oct, 2008 3:36 PM Quote
Free beer?? it surely couldn't have gotten any better :p

Thanks for that, hope someone will record the Q session as I will be at work :<

Tonie
Tonie Posted Tue 14 Oct, 2008 4:01 PM Quote
Sounds like a good gig. Probably very cosy too. The best type! Congrats on getting in :)

gladsadmad
gladsadmad Posted Wed 15 Oct, 2008 1:40 AM Quote
I've still got to do my review and sort out my video and pictures. I'll try to do them this weekend when I have more time, as I am out most of this week.
I promise also that i'll sort out the pics for those lovely boardies that I met at the gig and email them to you soon.
Until then, here is the Q review on their website and their pictures for you.

Q Magazine
Quote:
Click >>> Travis At Hard Rock Cafe Q The Music Club Review
A Fedora-ed Fran Healy and Andy Dunlop are onstage playing their ‘party piece’. They have ditched the convention of going offstage, waiting for the crowd to bay for more, so eager are they to play this encore.

The chugging guitars give way to Healy’s opening line “This was never the way I planned ….” and I Kissed A Girl is instantly absorbed into the Travis canon of brilliantly unlikely covers which has famously included Britney’s Baby … One More Time. Even the moment where the singer briefly forgets the words is amiably forgiven by the crowd at the Hard Rock Café, Q The Music Club’s intimate new venue, such is the conviction with which the duo deliver the track, a highlight in a show littered with them.

For Travis, this is a chance to show off latest album, Ode To J. Smith, an overdue return to the rougher hewn approach of their debut album, before it all went a bit soft rock and they sold albums by the millions. The gig - like the album - begins with Chinese Blues, an effortless stream of Gimme Shelter-like energy and the sort of thing which Oasis have strived for years to create. The almost title track J. Smith is an explosive rock opera in just three minutes with Dunlop hunched over, almost doubled up, to wring the sound from his guitar.

Even some of the hits have been toughened. Side is fuzzed-up, Writing To Reach You crackles and Turn soars. They may have played these songs hundreds of times, but they play with the joy of a band playing their first ever gig. “I don’t think I’ve ever sweated so much,” Healy observes. Even show closer Why Does It Always Rain On Me is turned into a chance to pogo (“the most ancient dance in the world, invented by cavemen,” according to the frontman), leaving the audience on a high.

You can catch highlights of the show in Q Radio’s Q Sessions on October 20.

http://gallery.qthemusic.com/uploads/images/810x540/633595743169549919.jpg
http://gallery.qthemusic.com/uploads/images/810x540/633595743209237927.jpg
http://gallery.qthemusic.com/uploads/images/810x540/633595743223456859.jpg
http://gallery.qthemusic.com/uploads/images/810x540/633595743237988295.jpg
http://gallery.qthemusic.com/uploads/images/810x540/633595743255644771.jpg

RaZzZ
RaZzZ Posted Wed 15 Oct, 2008 8:00 AM Quote
oneofthe3 wrote:
served by girls in what looked like nurses uniforms
Arggg... Lucky guy

deebee
deebee Posted Wed 15 Oct, 2008 8:13 AM Quote
I hope they got a warmer reception than the other night on the NRJ music tour!

Baby Fran
Baby Fran Posted Wed 15 Oct, 2008 8:04 PM Quote
deebee wrote:

They did and it was mostly boardies in the front row, I will load my pictures at the weekend i also recorded one song which i will put up soon. It was also filmed but not sure if or when its going out.

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Wed 15 Oct, 2008 8:30 PM Quote
Baby Fran wrote:
deebee wrote:

They did and it was mostly boardies in the front row, I will load my pictures at the weekend i also recorded one song which i will put up soon. It was also filmed but not sure if or when its going out.

Transmitted next Monday on it's Sky Channel 0181, Freeview Channel 716, and Virgin Channel 878. I'll be recording :)

Thanks for posting the review and pics GladSadMad.

Pages [1] 2 3 Next All Times BST Current Time 8:00 AM