Travis

Arctic Monkeys video strangely similar to "Turn"
akanksha
akanksha Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 12:27 PM Quote
It's more than a little obvious that the Turn video(Fran doing press-ups for 12 hours) might have...inspired(?) the video for "A View From The Afternoon" by the Arctic Monkeys.

...guy in front of blocks of flats putting his heart and soul into performing something
...relentlessly for several hours on end
...unusually pretty, slim young girl taking pity and helping him have a drink
...three other guys looking at him like he's crazy

Suspicious...?

Re: Arctic Monkeys video strangely similar to
nickynooboo
nickynooboo Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 12:36 PM Quote
Disgarceful behaviour, Plagiarism at it's worst!
Maybe they hoped that people had forgotten?

akanksha
akanksha Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 1:31 PM Quote
nickynooboo wrote:

Definitely. I mean, they could TRY to be slightly more original, right?
If I were an artiste who was inspired by the video, I'd let my own ideas grow from it, instead of blatantly copying the setting, theme, characters, idea...

Imitation's the sincerest form of flattery, I suppose...

nickynooboo
nickynooboo Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 1:37 PM Quote
akanksha wrote:
nickynooboo wrote:

Definitely. I mean, they could TRY to be slightly more original, right?
If I were an artiste who was inspired by the video, I'd let my own ideas grow from it, instead of blatantly copying the setting, theme, characters, idea...

Imitation's the sincerest form of flattery, I suppose...

That is what they say!!!
Shame they can't be more original though. What happened to that eh? Being original?

helterskelter
helterskelter Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 1:41 PM Quote
Hey, I've never noticed the similarities between the videos.

Speaking of videos, I don't remember who pointed out that the new Keane video (the one for Lovers are Losing) is very similar to the Writing to Reach You vid (it's even the same director).

akanksha
akanksha Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 1:42 PM Quote
Travis should sue them! Or something to that effect. It's FAR too similar to be just coincidence. And Turn - that was a great, significant, meaningful video. You can't just plagiarise it and get away with ripping it off.

Erial
Erial Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 2:37 PM Quote
Well, I don't think it's very similar at all. I don't know, might be 'cause I like both?
TThe three guys laughing are being mean in the AM vid, they're not his friends.
He's not performing out of a bet, he's performing just because that's what it does and who he is, he's doing it for himself. Also, he's playing, not doing push-ups xD That's different enough for me. That's the heart of the AM vid, the rest has nothing to do with it.
I mean, sure, it might be inspired from it? But for me, it's different. Just IMO of course.

thehitcher
thehitcher Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 2:48 PM Quote
When I first seen this video when it came out I thought the exact same thing! It reminded me of the Turn video ALOT! it's the same idea it's just the guy is drumming instead of doing push ups!

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 3:01 PM Quote
i agree with Erial. You are all talking nonsense.

paulo
paulo Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 3:27 PM Quote
Yeah there's definitely an influence from the turn video there.I thought that when I first saw this video.

erikausagi
erikausagi Posted Fri 17 Oct, 2008 7:50 PM Quote
Erial wrote:
Well, I don't think it's very similar at all. I don't know, might be 'cause I like both?
TThe three guys laughing are being mean in the AM vid, they're not his friends.
He's not performing out of a bet, he's performing just because that's what it does and who he is, he's doing it for himself. Also, he's playing, not doing push-ups xD That's different enough for me. That's the heart of the AM vid, the rest has nothing to do with it.
I mean, sure, it might be inspired from it? But for me, it's different. Just IMO of course.

completely agree Erial (nice name btw lol) could be a little similar just for the flats and he's in the middle of the square, playing drums non-stop.. and the girl who gave him a drink, but i think thats all, i really think was the same, but not really... some coincidences, but not plagiarism..

Aletways
Aletways Posted Fri 17 Oct, 2008 8:35 PM Quote
I don't think they are that alike either.

helterskelter wrote:

Speaking of videos, I don't remember who pointed out that the new Keane video (the one for Lovers are Losing) is very similar to the Writing to Reach You vid (it's even the same director).

It was me, hehe. Those videos ARE simmilar indeed!

RUTHIEBABE00
RUTHIEBABE00 Posted Fri 17 Oct, 2008 8:38 PM Quote
I'm sure that Travis will take it as a complement... seeing that they are such cool guys! ;o)

Nikki
Nikki Posted Fri 17 Oct, 2008 10:00 PM Quote
In the case of the Arctic Monkey's video, I'd say they were probably inspired by Travis' Turn, but wouldn't go as far as calling it plagiarism. If the dude was doing push-ups and not drumming, then yeah, lol.

I think that the Keane video, however, is a TOTAL rip off of Writing To Reach You. I know that it's the same director and all, but the whole concept is exactly the same.

I like Keane, but get your own ideas!!! It just makes them look bad.

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 1:05 PM