Travis

EUROPE!
lainee
lainee Posted Wed 08 Oct, 2008 2:04 PM Quote
Hey guys... I'm planning my first trip to Europe in June next next year! I'm going to be there for 4 weeks and I'll be starting off in Berlin then to Amsterdam, London, Barcelona and finally Paris.

I have been reading about what to do in each place and have found all the usual touristy stuff to do... But would really love to hear about any nice cafe/bar/restaurant etc that must be checked out. I'm vegetarian so any recommendations for a vegie place would be most helpful!

:-)

Re: EUROPE!
DavesUrMan
DavesUrMan Posted Wed 08 Oct, 2008 2:19 PM Quote
lainee wrote:
Hey guys... I'm planning my first trip to Europe in June next next year! I'm going to be there for 4 weeks and I'll be starting off in Berlin then to Amsterdam, London, Barcelona and finally Paris.

I have been reading about what to do in each place and have found all the usual touristy stuff to do... But would really love to hear about any nice cafe/bar/restaurant etc that must be checked out. I'm vegetarian so any recommendations for a vegie place would be most helpful!

firstly i would recommend cutting out amsterdam and possibly even london and coming to scotland ;)

not-the-same
not-the-same Posted Wed 08 Oct, 2008 2:19 PM Quote
When I was in Berlin we ate in a great Indian restaurant in the Oranienburgerstraße. I can't remember the name but it was near the Synagogue. But there are also a lot of other places to eat in that area that looked quite nice :)

In the evenings, we always went to a pub in Charlottenburg - www.harp-pub.de , which was really lovely, but not that cheap.

lainee
lainee Posted Wed 08 Oct, 2008 2:24 PM Quote

firstly i would recommend cutting out amsterdam and possibly even london and coming to scotland ;) [/quote]

Oh I would love to go to Scotland - maybe I can squeeze a couple of days there instead of London. So many places to see, so little time :-(

minnmess
minnmess Posted Wed 08 Oct, 2008 2:49 PM Quote
dont skip London!

Scotland is great too, though. But you shouldnt skip London! Hopefully you can do both

Light
Light Posted Wed 08 Oct, 2008 3:49 PM Quote
Good for you, Lainee.

Did I heard someone talking about Scotland here?! I´m planning to visit it in next month, end of November, start of December probably. Unfortunately I missed Travis in Scotland, what a bad luck, but so far I think it might be possible on my way back home to pop in Amsterdam where Travis will perform on 10th Dec. So, trailing away...
Have a plan to fly to London, resuming to Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, maybe Stirling too. No set plans yet, would follow the wind. So, Scots, any recommendations? What should I not be missing? I guess I will be removing myself into the nature too since I really long for that right now. Oh yes, and I am vegetarian too.

ps. Lainee, sorry if I filled your topic with my questions, hope you don´t mind at all.

kiwi
kiwi Posted Wed 08 Oct, 2008 3:52 PM Quote
lainee wrote:

In one of the tourist guides, they say there's only one vegetarian restaurant in Paris (not sure if that's true...) so we went to it. It's kind of near Bastille (if memory serves me right). It's BOLLOCKS. Do not go there!! Haha. A few years later we saw it on a television show for bad restaurants. Sounds like an awesome trip! I might recommend a day trip from each place, so you can see the sights outside of the cities, they're cheap and pretty cool.

kiwi
kiwi Posted Wed 08 Oct, 2008 3:54 PM Quote
Light wrote:
Good for you, Lainee.

Did I heard someone talking about Scotland here?! I´m planning to visit it in next month, end of November, start of December probably. Unfortunately I missed Travis in Scotland, what a bad luck, but so far I think it might be possible on my way back home to pop in Amsterdam where Travis will perform on 10th Dec. So, trailing away...
Have a plan to fly to London, resuming to Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, maybe Stirling too. No set plans yet, would follow the wind. So, Scots, any recommendations? What should I not be missing? I guess I will be removing myself into the nature too since I really long for that right now. Oh yes, and I am vegetarian too.

ps. Lainee, sorry if I filled your topic with my questions, hope you don´t mind at all.

Visit the Islands... even if it's just one of those touristy things. I lived up there and it's amazing.

Moray
Moray Posted Wed 08 Oct, 2008 4:19 PM Quote
If you can, I would give the "Lapin Agile" a go in Paris. It was the absolute highlight of my last trip there. It's an old cabaret style place. All velvet drapes and candlelit tables. And you get a cabaret of old French folk songs sung in a very traditional way. You feel that it has hardly changed in centuries, and has a real personal touch to the place. Very special. The owner was very wecloming and eager to talk to all the customers

It's on Mont Matre, out the back of the Sacre Couer. It's near the only vineyard in the City for miles, you can't miss it.

In fact its so cool it has its own wikipedia page:

Lapin Agile

lilly
lilly Posted Wed 08 Oct, 2008 4:19 PM Quote
don't skip London, it's amazing!!!

With the rest I can't really help you, I'm from Munich (Bavaria, Germany, the city of the original "Oktoberfest" *rollseyes* ;) ).

I can't even tell you to come to Munich instead of going to Berlin, because - while Munich is by far the most beautiful city in Germany (really, it's got the best "life quality" and everything) - if you're just doing a 4-weeks-trip you just HAVE to see Berlin and spend more than just 2-3 days there. There's so much history and culture to see. Hm, one of the most famous cafés in Berlin is the "Schwarzes Café" (Black Café) in Berlin-Charlottenburg - I've never been there myself, but I once met a girl who was a waitress there and she said it's great ;)

By the way, I think going to Berlin, Amsterdam, London, Barcelona and Paris is just about right for a 4-weeks trip - they're all great European cities. Rome is missing, though. I would reconsider that if I were you (maybe cut Amsterdam short and go to Rome for at least 3 days?)

DavesUrMan
DavesUrMan Posted Wed 08 Oct, 2008 5:49 PM Quote
Light wrote:
Good for you, Lainee.

Well
I would suggest leaving out glasgow unless you have good reason to go - good shops, but thats more or less it.
Edinburgh its obviously the capital but FULL of tourist traps. Its beautiful, safe, and full of fantastic places to go (historical) and Aberdeen is really in inbetween sort of place. But if you're going to go to aberdeen, maybe go to stonehaven instead and head to dunottar castle - fantastic place. Consider arbroath for arbroath abbey and fish and chips, consider Dundee for the Frigate Unicorn and Barque Discovery, the beach or the castles, consider st Andrews for certain for the ruins and the ice cream, but PLEASE try not to be one of these tourists who goes to Glasgow and Edinburgh and says 'ive seen scotland...' !!!! Go up the mountains, visit loch brandy, go to ben nevis, visit inverness for urquhart castle on loch ness, and yes deffinately go to Stirling for the castle and the jail - you can tell i'm passionate about my country! ;) If you come to Dundee I'll provide a personal tour!

Light
Light Posted Wed 08 Oct, 2008 7:22 PM Quote
DavesUrMan wrote:

Well
I would suggest leaving out glasgow unless you have good reason to go - good shops, but thats more or less it.
Edinburgh its obviously the capital but FULL of tourist traps. Its beautiful, safe, and full of fantastic places to go (historical) and Aberdeen is really in inbetween sort of place. But if you're going to go to aberdeen, maybe go to stonehaven instead and head to dunottar castle - fantastic place. Consider arbroath for arbroath abbey and fish and chips, consider Dundee for the Frigate Unicorn and Barque Discovery, the beach or the castles, consider st Andrews for certain for the ruins and the ice cream, but PLEASE try not to be one of these tourists who goes to Glasgow and Edinburgh and says 'ive seen scotland...' !!!! Go up the mountains, visit loch brandy, go to ben nevis, visit inverness for urquhart castle on loch ness, and yes deffinately go to Stirling for the castle and the jail - you can tell i'm passionate about my country! ;) If you come to Dundee I'll provide a personal tour!

Exactly what I needed! A honest piece of advice from native. Thanks really a lot. No, honestly speaking, I do not have plans for Glasgow either as I want to explore mountains mostly and besides see a little of cities. About Dundee tour, I keep you to your word. ;) I bet I´ll show up with more questions yet, hope it is ok for you.

DavesUrMan
DavesUrMan Posted Wed 08 Oct, 2008 8:01 PM Quote
No problem at all.
Its a fantastic country and has so much to offer to so many different people. You'll find the more remote the town or area in general, the more character it has. It may not necessarily have the huge tourist attractions that 'give us our name' but you can do them any time.
I've toured people around the various points of Angus (Dundee, Glamis Castle, Celtic Towers, Pictish standing stones, birthplace of JM Barrie (author of Peter Pan) Discovery etc) and Fife (St Andrews, Falkland Palace, Dunferline Abbey, etc) for a long long time and it tends to go down well!

Light
Light Posted Wed 08 Oct, 2008 9:01 PM Quote
No problem for you but a huge help to me. What about mountains at times around end of November, is it suitably?

Then, great!

DavesUrMan
DavesUrMan Posted Wed 08 Oct, 2008 9:45 PM Quote
To be honest the weather here has been so mild over the last few years in winter even in the mountains theres not much problem. It can at times of course be blustery stormy and snowy but thats what weather forecasts are for. You can get some great skiing done in Aviemore if you go there say on the way back from Inverness. You get megabusses to all these places for as little as £1 from anywhere, but they may not run up the mountains in bad weather. It also depends on what you want to get out of the mountains - if its a case of skiing as above thats straight forward. If its a case of hiking you can get some citylink busses to the base of some good tracks but you may find it a little tricky to get great accessibility without a car (which you can rent for pretty cheap - £30 or so a day I'm told). If you're just looking for great viewpoints without any effort and a nice place to get a good scottish cup of tea, try killiecrankie, or killin, or around stirling or en route to perth. Even the sidlaws at the back of Dundee are great hills to hike. Or for a bit more cost you can get ferrys to the islands at the west and be toured easily around the good viewpoints, or up north to shetland or orkneys to see one of the oldest preserved pictish sites, skara brae, and the circle standing stones (like stonehenge but waaaaaay more impressive!!) May be worth your while to google these places!

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 9:09 PM