Travis

Re: OTJS - charts
fenchurch
fenchurch Posted Wed 08 Oct, 2008 7:32 PM Quote
MariaMak wrote:
it doesn't exist on the irish chart... not even top 100

:-(

But wasn't it only out on friday in Ireland? Cos that's what shops kept telling me when i asked about it

thehitcher
thehitcher Posted Wed 08 Oct, 2008 11:32 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
It got to 20 on its first week but is looking like being below 40 on its second week. Probably below 50, maybe even lower than that. That can't be many sales at all down there. Can't be much more than 1000.

They will have sold more than 1,000 copies of Ode... surely? That doesn't sound right.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Wed 08 Oct, 2008 11:44 PM Quote
thehitcher wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:
It got to 20 on its first week but is looking like being below 40 on its second week. Probably below 50, maybe even lower than that. That can't be many sales at all down there. Can't be much more than 1000.

They will have sold more than 1,000 copies of Ode... surely? That doesn't sound right.

No, i mean down at 50. First week they charted at 20. That isn't going to be much more than 20,000. Probably quite a bit less because 50,000 would normally get you to number 1. This week, on many sites including iTunes, they're heading for about 50 in the UK Album Charts. Down there, it can't be more than 1000. On iTunes they're below Queen Greatest Hits... after 1 week!!!

thehitcher
thehitcher Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 12:14 AM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
thehitcher wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:

No, i mean down at 50. First week they charted at 20. That isn't going to be much more than 20,000. Probably quite a bit less because 50,000 would normally get you to number 1. This week, on many sites including iTunes, they're heading for about 50 in the UK Album Charts. Down there, it can't be more than 1000. On iTunes they're below Queen Greatest Hits... after 1 week!!!

haha oh right sorry, I misunderstood what you said. This new album deserves to be selling way more copies than what it is doing, it is very disappointing :-(

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 12:32 AM Quote
thehitcher wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:
thehitcher wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:

haha oh right sorry, I misunderstood what you said. This new album deserves to be selling way more copies than what it is doing, it is very disappointing :-(

Yes it is. It's terrible when you look at the charts and see the albums that are above it on iTunes. Not that they're all bad but some have been out for so long. Ode is currently at 57 and quickly dropping. I really hope they push Song To Self.

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 7:37 AM Quote
How the hell are Oasis indie? Have they dropped their record label too?

Hodgy
Hodgy Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 8:56 AM Quote
Was in Tesco last night, they're doing an offer on Oasis for the first week - £5.97 for the album.

Ode was at number 26 on the Tesco chart.
It is really disappointing to see the album not make top 10 - it deserves it. But, as we've all said lately, the promotion probably hasn't been as heavy as previous albums.
The only worry I have is that the band might get disheartened by the chart position and want to quit - but their recent interviews don't suggest anything like this happening(Fran said 12 albums is their target in a teletext interview)

thehitcher
thehitcher Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 1:00 PM Quote
I don't think they will be too upset as I think they realise they've had their success and as Fran said at the Q Awards they have alot to prove as they are not riding on a wave. Loads of people still turn out to see them live so I think that will make them happy. It's just a shame that real music isn't getting the airplay/recognision/promotion that it deserves and some ten a penny girl or boy band get all the promo in the world. I do worry that people have forgotten all about Travis but without promotion I guess people will forget.

laticsmon
laticsmon Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 1:26 PM Quote
the boy with a cryptic name wrote:
How the hell are Oasis indie? Have they dropped their record label too?

They've had their own label since 2000, I believe they've got a distribution deal with Sony, though.

helterskelter
helterskelter Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 1:30 PM Quote

I don't think they will quit because of the low chart position. I believe they love doing music, whether it has success or not. So far, it seems they don't give a damn about money or popularity (Fran even allowed fans to download the album!). Besides, since they own the record label, 20 is not that bad (and all of the profits are for them. Hehehe)

BTW, first post in here!

thehitcher
thehitcher Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 1:59 PM Quote
helterskelter wrote:

I don't think they will quit because of the low chart position. I believe they love doing music, whether it has success or not. So far, it seems they don't give a damn about money or popularity (Fran even allowed fans to download the album!). Besides, since they own the record label, 20 is not that bad (and all of the profits are for them. Hehehe)

BTW, first post in here!

Welcome in :-D

purplesky
purplesky Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 2:11 PM Quote
thehitcher wrote:
I don't think they will be too upset as I think they realise they've had their success and as Fran said at the Q Awards they have alot to prove as they are not riding on a wave. Loads of people still turn out to see them live so I think that will make them happy. It's just a shame that real music isn't getting the airplay/recognision/promotion that it deserves and some ten a penny girl or boy band get all the promo in the world. I do worry that people have forgotten all about Travis but without promotion I guess people will forget.

Agree. It's sad that real music doesn't get recognision from media and the public. It's the same in Asia. All I can see on TV these days is some good looking teenagers who are visually good but with a horrible singing ability, not to mention song writing skills.
I hope Travis do more promotion with the new album with new singls like Song to self, Chinese Blues, BYWY so that many people get the chance to listen to them. It's unlucky not to know their music!

SelfishFlip
SelfishFlip Posted Fri 10 Oct, 2008 2:51 PM Quote
"Ode To J. Smith" entered the German Album Charts on position #49. Sucks, because we actually had some promotion here, for example there are loads of posters around here, and even The Boy With No Name reached the top ten over here. Nevermind.

But "Song To Self" entered the charts at #88, quite nice!

juliana_lyt
juliana_lyt Posted Fri 10 Oct, 2008 4:52 PM Quote
it's no.9 on hk hmv's overall chart, but no.2!!!! on rock & pop chart!!!

there's no promotion or whatsoever of this album in hk, so i think that's a pretty good position!

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Fri 10 Oct, 2008 4:57 PM Quote
In it's midweek 2nd week positions, it has jumped up a little on both iTunes and Amazon but way down in the 70's below 3 Snow Patrol albums on Play.

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 Next All Times BST Current Time 7:48 PM