Travis

Keane hires video director of Writing To Reach You
Aletways
Aletways Posted Sat 04 Oct, 2008 7:10 AM Quote
...John Hardwick for the band's new single video, The Lovers Are Losing. And the guy did the exact same video again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-1uvfDMVUg

The only difference is that in WTRY the video is kind of based in a literal interpretation of the song title, while Keane's video definitely tries to make a critic of war.

Similarities:

- Fran walks/runs while he sings = Tom walks/runs while he sings

- Both videos take place in the countryside.

- Fran is chased and attacked by a boy and a girl = Tom is chased and attacked by some guys in motorcycles (besides, in both videos the attackers are hidden at the beginning and then they chase them openly, then they disappear, and then they appear again)

- Dougie, Neil & Andy = Girl Scouts/Cheerleaders/whatever those girls are

- Boy pretends to be dead = Cheerleaders look dead and then get up

- Fran takes off his shirt (or whatever that's called in English) = Tom takes off his shirt

- There's a trailer in both videos.

- There's a bomber in both videos.

- Both videos start during the day and end at night.

- All the characters of the video appear together at the end: Fran+Dougie, Neil & Andy+boy and girl = Tom+cheerleaders+guys in motorcycles

Apparently, Tim said they gave the director the song, and they chose him because he directed WTRY and they like that video...

I can't believe the director did the same video twice, and I can't believe that Keane didn't say to him "dude, this video already exists, and what's more, you are the one who made it!"

Re: Keane hires video director of Writing To Reach You
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Sat 04 Oct, 2008 7:59 AM Quote
It definitely looks like the guy applied the same concept and adjusted it a bit to the song.

The part when the girls do those pirouettes is absurd, imo xD.

galletitabonita
galletitabonita Posted Sat 04 Oct, 2008 9:25 AM Quote
OMG!!!

I thougt about writing to reach you as soon as I watched the video, but i didn't know that both videos were directed by the same person!!!!

Interesting facts! but I don't understand TLAL video yet :(

moo_the_evil_boffin
moo_the_evil_boffin Posted Sat 04 Oct, 2008 10:10 AM Quote
Strange video...

I was watching it then suddenly realised- I know where they filmed that! A few weeks ago there was a driving competition there which my dad was helping with. I remember the big hill bit because there were a load of people clay pigeon shooting and I got hit with a bit of the remnants lol.

So yeah, completely random fact.

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Sat 04 Oct, 2008 12:11 PM Quote
Lol they're exactly the same... xD

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 04 Oct, 2008 4:04 PM Quote
Slightly off topic but...

There was an interview with Noel Gallagher in yesterday's Ticket (Irish Times supplement)....

Noel was talking about the new album and how it is a slightly different direction for them, I can't remember the exact quote but it went something along the lines of... I'm glad Oasis has moved on from the Definately Maybe & What's the Story albums they were great but we've moved on since then, If you look at Be Here Now there are some great tunes buried beneath the crap, We were in the studio recording this and we were so famous no one had the guts to tell me the songs were too long or too elaborate, that said it was still an important album for me, I think as a band you have to move on and evolve, If you don't you may as well be Keane !!! (ouch!)

Dubz

Nikki
Nikki Posted Sat 04 Oct, 2008 4:28 PM Quote
I like Keane a lot, but seriously...come up with your own flippin' ideas! It's one thing to get inspired by a Travis video you like and apply the same vibe or imagery, but please...they stole the entire concept of "Writing To Reach You"...Travis' video is STILL better though. Nothing will ever beat Fran running and then diving from an air raid. Best Travis video ever, IMO.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 04 Oct, 2008 4:35 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:
I like Keane a lot, but seriously...come up with your own flippin' ideas! It's one thing to get inspired by a Travis video you like and apply the same vibe or imagery, but please...they stole the entire concept of "Writing To Reach You"...Travis' video is STILL better though. Nothing will ever beat Fran running and then diving from an air raid. Best Travis video ever, IMO.

I think the actual director of the video in question has to shoulder some of the blame, I know other directors have styles, Michel Gondry, Spike Jones, Chris Cunningham etc... and when you spot a video of theirs it's usually unmistakable but they also change the content but keep the style. This guy is basically a one trick pony.

Dubz

Monica
Monica Posted Sat 04 Oct, 2008 5:09 PM Quote
Maybe the director only has one idea and uses it all the time :p

Aletways
Aletways Posted Sat 04 Oct, 2008 7:29 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Slightly off topic but...

There was an interview with Noel Gallagher in yesterday's Ticket (Irish Times supplement)....

Noel was talking about the new album and how it is a slightly different direction for them, I can't remember the exact quote but it went something along the lines of... I'm glad Oasis has moved on from the Definately Maybe & What's the Story albums they were great but we've moved on since then, If you look at Be Here Now there are some great tunes buried beneath the crap, We were in the studio recording this and we were so famous no one had the guts to tell me the songs were too long or too elaborate, that said it was still an important album for me, I think as a band you have to move on and evolve, If you don't you may as well be Keane !!! (ouch!)

Dubz

Well, I have to disagree with Noel, if he sits and listens to Keane's three albums (or even if he listens to the sfuff they did when they weren't famous), he'll notice right away that they have changed (I wouldn't say evolve, since it implies that the next thing is better than the previous one, and I think they are just different, not better or worse... although I have to wait to listen to the rest of the third album to see if it applies on this case too). I can't say the same about Oasis...

And I agree with your second post Dubz, the director is responsible too. In Argentina, we'd call him a chanta xD .

Nikki
Nikki Posted Sun 05 Oct, 2008 1:39 AM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Nikki wrote:

I think the actual director of the video in question has to shoulder some of the blame, I know other directors have styles, Michel Gondry, Spike Jones, Chris Cunningham etc... and when you spot a video of theirs it's usually unmistakable but they also change the content but keep the style. This guy is basically a one trick pony.

Dubz

Yes, that's true, but it's ultimately the band's decision to use the video or not and they knew the concept before they started filming. So, when this director sat down and told them, they should have been like.."Uuuuhhh, how 'bout no. That's Travis' video."

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sun 05 Oct, 2008 1:46 AM Quote
Nikki wrote:

Yes, that's true, but it's ultimately the band's decision to use the video or not and they knew the concept before they started filming. So, when this director sat down and told them, they should have been like.."Uuuuhhh, how 'bout no. That's Travis' video."

Unless Keane have never seen the Writing to Reach You Video...

Dubz

Nikki
Nikki Posted Sun 05 Oct, 2008 2:34 AM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Nikki wrote:

Unless Keane have never seen the Writing to Reach You Video...

Dubz

I direct you to the original post of this thread :P ...

"Apparently, Tim said they gave the director the song, and they chose him because he directed WTRY and they like that video..."

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sun 05 Oct, 2008 6:44 PM Quote
Is it just me or does he look fairly nonchalent for someone who is being chased and shot at? There's a lot of arm-swinging going on there :S

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 10:04 PM