Travis

Re: The 'I don't really get Ode to J.Smith' thread
BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Fri 03 Oct, 2008 5:44 PM Quote
thehitcher wrote:
Anybody else think the new album has got a kind of 'Good Feeling' mixed with '12 Memories' feel to it? Ode To J. Smith reminds me of those two albums.

Definitely. I could tell that right from the start in February. They're my 2 least favourite Travis albums but i love Ode To J Smith. :)

rebekah
rebekah Posted Fri 03 Oct, 2008 5:48 PM Quote
personally, i love it..but i see where you're coming from..i think its fresh and vibrant..and my fave song has to be Long Way Down :P

Craig
Craig Posted Fri 03 Oct, 2008 5:59 PM Quote
i love the whole album apart from broken mirror which i think is the only poor song on it. altho quite free reminds me of to the moon and back by savage garden

Craig
Craig Posted Fri 03 Oct, 2008 5:59 PM Quote
i love the whole album apart from broken mirror which i think is the only poor song on it. altho quite free reminds me of to the moon and back by savage garden

Craig
Craig Posted Fri 03 Oct, 2008 6:02 PM Quote
thehitcher wrote:
At first I didn't think it worked as an album as I really loved some tracks but I wasn't too fussed on one or two. After having it for a week now and seeing the new stuff live on Monday, I really love the new album. Whether it will become my favourite Travis album is too early to say as I think 'The Man Who' and '12 Memories' are my personal favourites. I think as an album it flows as it's short, sharp and to the point. Sorry to go against what you said mate maybe you just need to give it a few more listens to get it.

Anybody else think the new album has got a kind of 'Good Feeling' mixed with '12 Memories' feel to it? Ode To J. Smith reminds me of those two albums.

yup i agree with you there

Nikki
Nikki Posted Fri 03 Oct, 2008 6:03 PM Quote
Craig wrote:

I like "To The Moon and Back" :)

PictureInWhite
PictureInWhite Posted Fri 03 Oct, 2008 6:13 PM Quote
I've not gotten the album yet (as I'm in the States), but I actually have that 'I don't really get it' with every single one of their records after TMW when I first started listening. It's only with many listenings and ESPECIALLY seeing them performed live do they pick up any kind of long-standing resonance with me. And I suspect this record will be exactly the same.

Craig
Craig Posted Fri 03 Oct, 2008 6:17 PM Quote
PictureInWhite wrote:
I've not gotten the album yet (as I'm in the States), but I actually have that 'I don't really get it' with every single one of their records after TMW when I first started listening. It's only with many listenings and ESPECIALLY seeing them performed live do they pick up any kind of long-standing resonance with me. And I suspect this record will be exactly the same.

i think myself that after seeing the songs live ive either liked the albums the same as the first few listens or have really liked the albums after hearing the songs live

Peewee
Peewee Posted Fri 03 Oct, 2008 6:50 PM Quote
Sorry Paul, so not with ya mate. I love this new album .... except for Get Up (just not diffing it). I think it is definitely one of the better ones.

cheekyminx
cheekyminx Posted Fri 03 Oct, 2008 6:57 PM Quote
Can't agree with you entirely there, I'm afraid. But I can understand your point of view... I love the old songs so much, and you can't just forget how good they are so sometimes new ones don't measure up. At first I wasn't sure if I liked these songs quite as much as I should, but the more I've listened to them and the old ones this week, the more the new songs have grown on me. You've listed loads of songs you do like off their new album, and at the end of the day, there's always going to be songs on albums that your just not sure about.

Mikko85
Mikko85 Posted Fri 03 Oct, 2008 7:51 PM Quote
I can see where you're coming from to a degree, but personally am more excited about the album here than anything since The Man Who - simply because the really good songs are GREAT.

Some of them aint. To be brutally honest, J.Smith and Something Anything don't do as much for me as they seem to for most - there's something weirdly insubstantial and trivial about both. Ditto for Long Way Down only with added blandness, and I think Get Up is useless, personally. Worst album track since Peace The F*ck Out for me.

But. BUT.

Chinese Blues
Broken Mirror (if you'd told me I'd be saying that a week ago I'd have fallen about laughing)
Last Words
Quite Free
Song To Self
Before You Were Young

are all fantastic. I mean really, really fantastic and a massive improvement on anything from TBWNN and 12 Memories. Travis songs to get properly excited about again! Friends is rated 'just' pretty good btw.

And in BYWY, Ode has the distinction of being THE album with my fave ever Travis song on it.

travisturkey
travisturkey Posted Fri 03 Oct, 2008 9:06 PM Quote
Those were my feelings with the previous record,but the new one is just so great! Broken Mirror,Before You Were Young,Quite Free! This could be one of the best jobs our Travis boys have done so far :)

fenchurch
fenchurch Posted Fri 03 Oct, 2008 9:35 PM Quote
The first time I heard Something Anything I was kinda disappointed, but after two or three listens it really grew on me and I'm kinda expecting the rest of the album to be the same. I haven't heard anything else tho cos I can't find the album (or the single for that matter) anywhere! I keep asking and I was told they'd have it in today but when I went to get it today I was told next Tuesday! I'm dying of anticipation here!

Nikki
Nikki Posted Fri 03 Oct, 2008 9:46 PM Quote
fenchurch wrote:
The first time I heard Something Anything I was kinda disappointed, but after two or three listens it really grew on me and I'm kinda expecting the rest of the album to be the same. I haven't heard anything else tho cos I can't find the album (or the single for that matter) anywhere! I keep asking and I was told they'd have it in today but when I went to get it today I was told next Tuesday! I'm dying of anticipation here!

You can listen to a bunch of new tracks on the Travis myspace page if you don't wanna wait, or are you waiting on purpose (like me)? Just wanted to let you know in case you were unaware of that... :)

fenchurch
fenchurch Posted Fri 03 Oct, 2008 9:51 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:
fenchurch wrote:

You can listen to a bunch of new tracks on the Travis myspace page if you don't wanna wait, or are you waiting on purpose (like me)? Just wanted to let you know in case you were unaware of that... :)

Yeah I know, thanks! But yeah, I'm waiting. There's nothing like a brand new unheard cd!

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 4 Next All Times BST Current Time 5:12 AM