Travis

The 'I don't really get Ode to J.Smith' thread
paul_c
paul_c Posted Fri 03 Oct, 2008 1:54 PM Quote
Am i the only one who doesn't really get the big deal with this album?

I like J. Smith, Something Anything, Friends, Song To Self and Before You Were Young- and of what i've seen live on this tour, the songs are good- but the rest of the album just isn't grabbing me at all. Before when a new Travis album has been released, i've been hooked. But not this time.

There's gotta be someone out there thinking the same...

Re: The 'I don't really get Ode to J.Smith' thread
nickynooboo
nickynooboo Posted Fri 03 Oct, 2008 2:03 PM Quote
Sorry, I'm liking all of it!

x

sorry angel
sorry angel Posted Fri 03 Oct, 2008 2:39 PM Quote
Hey Paul,

Firstly THANKS for your honesty. I totally understand you since this is how I felt with the previous album. Saying this 'New Amsterdam' is still my favorite Travis song so...

I'll let you know my thoughts when I finally hear 'Ode...' entirely but my first and only listen on the band's myspace overwhelmed me so much that I think it could well be my favorite album of all. It sounds so mature and "unaffected" (if that's english) by obvious influences.

How's your music going?
Sofxx

sorry angel
Hey Paul,

Firstly THANKS for your honesty. I totally understand you since this is how I felt with the previous album. Saying this 'New Amsterdam' is still my favorite Travis song so...

I'll let you know my thoughts when I finally hear 'Ode...' entirely but my first and only listen on the band's myspace overwhelmed me so much that I think it could well be my favorite album of all. It sounds so mature and "unaffected" (if that's english) by obvious influences.

How's your music going?
Sofxx

sorry angel
Hey Paul,

How's your music going?
Sofxx

milos
milos Posted Fri 03 Oct, 2008 2:44 PM Quote
I still haven't had much time to listen to it (at least not as much as i'd like to :)) since i was really busy this week, but it's definitely already one of my favourite Travis albums. I love it! :)

emma10
emma10 Posted Fri 03 Oct, 2008 2:55 PM Quote
I love it! I wasn't that excited anticipating the release of a new album but when it arrived I ended up listening to it 3 times over and I never listen to an album the whole way through, I usually skip a few or turn it off before the end!

Suppose was all have different tastes, I really don't like More Than Us but know everyone else does.

MoreThanMe
MoreThanMe Posted Fri 03 Oct, 2008 3:05 PM Quote
Sorry Paul, im not bucking the trend either mate.

I think its the most accomplished album since The Man Who.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Fri 03 Oct, 2008 3:06 PM Quote
Slow starter for me but after 5 listens, especially to and from the recent concert, I'm loving it... apart from Get Up. You can't truly judge something until you've lived with it for a while but I think this is my 3rd favourite. Maybe in time The Boy will go above it but I don't think so. :)

flower_in_the_window
flower_in_the_window Posted Fri 03 Oct, 2008 4:15 PM Quote
I think you're on your own Paul!!
Last Words is amazing!!!
I think it's a great album, usually there's a song or 2 that are slow starters, but not this time!

deebee
deebee Posted Fri 03 Oct, 2008 4:28 PM Quote
I haven't listened to the album yet Paul (still waiting for my copy to arrive) BUT this is exactly how I felt when they released The Boy With No Name last year. It just didn't grab me! This happens even with our favourite bands unfortunately. Must admit from what I've heard of the new stuff, I think I'm gonna love this one though!

Darran
Darran Posted Fri 03 Oct, 2008 4:41 PM Quote
It feels more like an EP to me.

thehitcher
thehitcher Posted Fri 03 Oct, 2008 4:51 PM Quote
At first I didn't think it worked as an album as I really loved some tracks but I wasn't too fussed on one or two. After having it for a week now and seeing the new stuff live on Monday, I really love the new album. Whether it will become my favourite Travis album is too early to say as I think 'The Man Who' and '12 Memories' are my personal favourites. I think as an album it flows as it's short, sharp and to the point. Sorry to go against what you said mate maybe you just need to give it a few more listens to get it.

Anybody else think the new album has got a kind of 'Good Feeling' mixed with '12 Memories' feel to it? Ode To J. Smith reminds me of those two albums.

lilly
lilly Posted Fri 03 Oct, 2008 5:06 PM Quote
ok I hope I won't be kicked off the board for this, but I haven't even bought the album (though it was released one week ago in Germany). I had borrowed an "early version" from a friend, listened to it, and decided to (maybe) buy it when they announce a Germany tour... I mean, I'm pretty much skint at the moment so it's a sensible decision anyway, but a few years back I would have searched every corner of my room for some euros just to be able to buy a new Travis album... *sighs*

TK23
TK23 Posted Fri 03 Oct, 2008 5:26 PM Quote
From all that I've heard, I really like it. I totally agree with sorry angel's comment that it's very 'unaffected' by obvious influences. I think it seems like a really cool record, and I think the guys should definitely be very proud of it! Besides, at least for me- Travis songs always grow on me the more I listen. ; )

Pages [1] 2 3 4 Next All Times BST Current Time 8:01 AM