Travis

Re: Release Before You Were Young as a single!
Baby Fran
Baby Fran Posted Thu 23 Oct, 2008 5:46 PM Quote
I would love to see it as a single as i love this song.

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Thu 23 Oct, 2008 6:44 PM Quote
Before You Were Young might be a good single, but I see it as quite high risk. I'm not sure how the general public would take it. I think Last Words is a safer option, and actually I like it better as a song as well.

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Thu 23 Oct, 2008 7:23 PM Quote
Typing to Reach You wrote:
Before You Were Young might be a good single, but I see it as quite high risk. I'm not sure how the general public would take it. I think Last Words is a safer option, and actually I like it better as a song as well.

I doubt whether the safe option will do them much good though, Last Words isn't ever going to storm the charts which would be its only hope. Maybe BYWY would make people listen to the album, but it's not going to fit well into a cosy afternoon radio schedule :)

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Thu 23 Oct, 2008 9:10 PM Quote
the boy with a cryptic name wrote:
Typing to Reach You wrote:

I doubt whether the safe option will do them much good though, Last Words isn't ever going to storm the charts which would be its only hope. Maybe BYWY would make people listen to the album, but it's not going to fit well into a cosy afternoon radio schedule :)

So either way Travis are screwed, right? lol. Yeah I can understand that taking risks might be what they need to get noticed. But then again, if they released something like Last Words that radio 2 might play, people would learn that a new Travis album actually exists. :P

healyramirez
healyramirez Posted Fri 24 Oct, 2008 10:55 AM Quote
Can you tell us if Fran said the songs that are in contention with Before you were young.

thanks

gladsadmad wrote:
After the Hard Rock Cafe gig last week, Fran was saying to a group of us that they were considering releasing Before You Were Young as a single after Song To Self. Nothing confirmed, but he definitely said that it is in contention.

For what it's worth Fran, it would get my vote, because it is an amazingly beautiful record.

Peewee
Peewee Posted Sat 25 Oct, 2008 7:41 PM Quote
Nice! Would be good wee single! Come on boys!!!

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Thu 30 Oct, 2008 8:46 PM Quote
I personally don't see BYWY as a good single, it's too simple. Chinese Blues is no "mega-hit" either. Last Words is a good song, but Friends has the best melody and structure and should be the next single in my opinion.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Thu 30 Oct, 2008 8:53 PM Quote
TheBoyWithAName wrote:
I personally don't see BYWY as a good single, it's too simple. Chinese Blues is no "mega-hit" either. Last Words is a good song, but Friends has the best melody and structure and should be the next single in my opinion.

I've not read Before You Were Young described as "too simple" before. It's a lot more interesting and original than Friends is. :)

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Fri 31 Oct, 2008 12:23 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
TheBoyWithAName wrote:

I've not read Before You Were Young described as "too simple" before. It's a lot more interesting and original than Friends is. :)

Everyone sees things differently of course. My personal opinion is that the melody and lyrics in BYWY is much too simple. It feels like you have heard it before somehow, do you know what I mean?

By the way, what is it with Travis and radios? haha
I don't know how many songs that contain lyrics like:
"We use to turn the radio on"
"We turn the radio off to hear a song"
"The radio's in the bath"

and so on...

Pages Previous 1 2 [3] All Times BST Current Time 10:22 PM