Travis

   
Inquiry about Say Hello (from TBWNN)
purplesky
Posts: 121
purplesky Posted Tue 30 Sep, 2008 5:01 PM Quote
While I was looking for new info about Travis, I heard "Say Hello" for the first time. As far as I know, it was US itune bonus track for TBWNN. Anyway, I was like "Oh How could I not know this song until now!" I love this song so much..listening to it with ODE every morning and night. love Fran's high tone and Dougie's chorus with mellow melody. Is there anyone else love this song?

As I barely have any infomation about this song, I was wondering someone can tell me a bit of story for this song.

Is it Fran's written? I was surprised to see " Selfish Jean" was in the lyrics. What would be the meaning in the lyrics? Sorry. might be a stupid question, but I don't 100% get the lyrics sometimes. Wish I was a native English speaker! :(


"This selfish Jean
Has taken hold
Is locked within
But you never lost

Say hello, say hello
Say hello"


Travis is amazing. There are soo many beautiful and unmissiable songs which are not on the official ablums.
 
Inquiry about 'Say Hello'
purplesky
Posts: 121
purplesky Posted Tue 30 Sep, 2008 5:16 PM Quote
stupid double post
 
Re: Inquiry about
Typing to Reach You
Posts: 1667
Typing to Reach You Posted Tue 30 Sep, 2008 5:18 PM Quote
I don't know anything about who wrote it etc but yes, it's an awesome song. I would've liked to have seen Say Hello or This Love replace Under The Moonlight on TBWNN.
 
Re: Inquiry about Say Hello (from TBWNN)
joemono
Posts: 182
joemono Posted Tue 30 Sep, 2008 9:06 PM Quote
Yes, it is a shame that this song was pretty much sidelined. It's great and deserved better than it got.
 
Re: Inquiry about Say Hello (from TBWNN)
the boy with a cryptic name
Posts: 2310
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Tue 30 Sep, 2008 10:19 PM Quote
purplesky wrote:
While I was looking for new info about Travis, I heard "Say Hello" for the first time. As far as I know, it was US itune bonus track for TBWNN. Anyway, I was like "Oh How could I not know this song until now!" I love this song so much..listening to it with ODE every morning and night. love Fran's high tone and Dougie's chorus with mellow melody. Is there anyone else love this song?

As I barely have any infomation about this song, I was wondering someone can tell me a bit of story for this song.

Is it Fran's written? I was surprised to see " Selfish Jean" was in the lyrics. What would be the meaning in the lyrics? Sorry. might be a stupid question, but I don't 100% get the lyrics sometimes. Wish I was a native English speaker! :(


"This selfish Jean
Has taken hold
Is locked within
But you never lost

Say hello, say hello
Say hello"


Travis is amazing. There are soo many beautiful and unmissiable songs which are not on the official ablums.


The line is:

"This selfish gene..." (you might need to look up gene, I can't describe it :)) Both Selfish Jean/Genes come from the Richards Dawkins book called The Selfish Gene.

Oh, and I love Say Hello, we should spread the word about how good it is.
 
Re: Inquiry about Say Hello (from TBWNN)
kevvvy
Posts: 111
kevvvy Posted Tue 30 Sep, 2008 11:15 PM Quote
Is this song available anywhere?
 
Re: Inquiry about Say Hello (from TBWNN)
purplesky
Posts: 121
purplesky Posted Wed 01 Oct, 2008 7:51 AM Quote
Oh. It was Selfish Gene, not Jean. Thanks for the info.
I totally agree that we should spread how beautiful this song is. :)

Kevvvy, I just sent you email. :)
 
Re: Inquiry about Say Hello (from TBWNN)
Cinthya Olguín
Posts: 44
Cinthya Olguín Posted Wed 01 Oct, 2008 8:21 AM Quote
purplesky wrote:
While I was looking for new info about Travis, I heard "Say Hello" for the first time. As far as I know, it was US itune bonus track for TBWNN. Anyway, I was like "Oh How could I not know this song until now!" I love this song so much..listening to it with ODE every morning and night. love Fran's high tone and Dougie's chorus with mellow melody. Is there anyone else love this song?

As I barely have any infomation about this song, I was wondering someone can tell me a bit of story for this song.

Is it Fran's written? I was surprised to see " Selfish Jean" was in the lyrics. What would be the meaning in the lyrics? Sorry. might be a stupid question, but I don't 100% get the lyrics sometimes. Wish I was a native English speaker! :(


"This selfish Jean
Has taken hold
Is locked within
But you never lost

Say hello, say hello
Say hello"


Travis is amazing. There are soo many beautiful and unmissiable songs which are not on the official ablums.



It was written by Fran, both music and lyrics, and yes, is just beautiful. What a shame it was not included on the album!
 
Re: Inquiry about Say Hello (from TBWNN)
Erial
Posts: 105
Erial Posted Wed 01 Oct, 2008 11:45 AM Quote
I'm not madly in love with Say Hello, but I love that bit of lyrics.
I like when in a song's lyrics there are titles of other songs, it's not the first time Travis do that.
The beginning of Last Train:

Rain on the brain
Now there's flowers in your window
She, oh, she's so strange
I don't know anything about her

It's like Easter Eggs!xD
 
Re: Inquiry about Say Hello (from TBWNN)
happy_to_hang_around
Posts: 219
happy_to_hang_around Posted Wed 01 Oct, 2008 5:19 PM Quote
purplesky wrote:
love Fran's high tone and Dougie's chorus with mellow melody. Is there anyone else love this song?

I love it,too.Really nice one.
 
Re: Inquiry about Say Hello (from TBWNN)
kevvvy
Posts: 111
kevvvy Posted Wed 01 Oct, 2008 7:46 PM Quote
purplesky wrote:
Oh. It was Selfish Gene, not Jean. Thanks for the info.
I totally agree that we should spread how beautiful this song is. :)

Kevvvy, I just sent you email. :)


Superb. Thanks for that :)
 
Re: Inquiry about Say Hello (from TBWNN)
Mikko85
Posts: 303
Mikko85 Posted Wed 01 Oct, 2008 7:50 PM Quote
Does Dougie sing the chorus? If so I never noticed that, gonna have to listen to it again. I'm so inobservent though it wouldn't surprise me - took me an age to realise Dougie was singing The Distance not Fran.

I like Say Hello, it's a bit of a hidden gem in their back catalogue. A big lightweight to be a classic I think, and it sounds a bit weedy played through speakers - but a really nice song. No idea who wrote it. It's the kind of song that could be either Fran or Dougie, impossible to tell. It lacks any obvious clues through its simplicity.
 
Re: Inquiry about Say Hello (from TBWNN)
BenFilbert
Posts: 3859
BenFilbert Posted Wed 01 Oct, 2008 11:21 PM Quote
It's a really nice song. Written by Fran i'm sure. And sang by Fran too. :) But Dougie has a few lines.
 
Re: Inquiry about Say Hello (from TBWNN)
purplesky
Posts: 121
purplesky Posted Thu 02 Oct, 2008 1:48 AM Quote
Mikko85 wrote:
Does Dougie sing the chorus? If so I never noticed that, gonna have to listen to it again. I'm so inobservent though it wouldn't surprise me - took me an age to realise Dougie was singing The Distance not Fran.


Oops Sorry. I meant 'Backing vocal' not 'chorus'. Fran was singing the whole time, and Dougie is backing(?) I guess. :) Yes. Dougie was singing the Distance, and I loved the song so much.
 
Re: Inquiry about Say Hello (from TBWNN)
Mikko85
Posts: 303
Mikko85 Posted Thu 02 Oct, 2008 7:09 PM Quote
I listened to this again today because of this thread, had forgotten what an awesome song this is. You can disregard my comments about it being a bit weedy and simple, because that was ****. :-)

And yeah, I realised what you meant about Dougie singing! Love the echoed vocals.
 
Pages [1] 2 Next All Times GMT Current Time 3:06 PM
Post Reply