Travis

American Office
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Mon 14 Jan, 2008 10:35 PM Quote
Never watched this until now. I am guessing Dwight is the american version of Gareth? . Not as good at all.

Re: American Office
heyjude
heyjude Posted Mon 14 Jan, 2008 10:46 PM Quote
yep, that's correct. the american version works quite well for the american audience. the show has a following (lots of fans on this forum) and good ratings.

i just read in the news that they're doing a south american version soon?

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Mon 14 Jan, 2008 10:48 PM Quote
I like the rest of the characters. I just think the Dwight one isnt as subtle as
the British version.

Moray
Moray Posted Mon 14 Jan, 2008 10:50 PM Quote
I was watching it on the paramount channel. I thought it was really good. Similar to the british version in style, but with enough distinctiveness to make it work on it's own.

heyjude
heyjude Posted Mon 14 Jan, 2008 10:54 PM Quote
gareth is awesome. i like the british version, too. my sis who saw the british version first, had a hard time getting into the american version.

elfy
elfy Posted Mon 14 Jan, 2008 10:54 PM Quote
Saw it when I was over in the States last year. Just thought it was pointless. Why was there a need to remake it? Don't tell me American audiences don't get the original because every American I've spoken to that had seen it loved it.

heyjude
heyjude Posted Mon 14 Jan, 2008 10:55 PM Quote
isn't there a french version, too?

goosey_84
goosey_84 Posted Mon 14 Jan, 2008 11:00 PM Quote
heyjude wrote:
gareth is awesome. i like the british version, too. my sis who saw the british version first, had a hard time getting into the american version.

my friend still refuses to watch the american version. haha. i like the two versions i've seen.

AbsolutPurple
AbsolutPurple Posted Mon 14 Jan, 2008 11:00 PM Quote
heyjude wrote:
isn't there a french version, too?

enhanced with terrible BO and red wine i'm sure

lol

heyjude
heyjude Posted Mon 14 Jan, 2008 11:01 PM Quote
elfy wrote:
Saw it when I was over in the States last year. Just thought it was pointless. Why was there a need to remake it? Don't tell me American audiences don't get the original because every American I've spoken to that had seen it loved it.

i guess the different versions were created to "localize" the jokes and stuff.

ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Mon 14 Jan, 2008 11:23 PM Quote
Here is a page of all of the versions of the Office and the counterparts between each version: The Office

Being a fan of both the original and the American version, I love both. I did view the American version of the Office first just because BBC America had stopped showing it in the States and I was too stingy to buy the DVDs. I think that the American version does carry a American mentality in it. Some of the gags are more physical while on the original Office a lot of the humor was more smart. I think both are great shows with amazing cast members and awesome writing (even though season 4 has been kind of lackluster, but hey writer's strike! So it's not like I'll be seeing it anytime soon. *mumbles* damn writers...). But the original Office has the upper hand because it stopped after two series and then had the Christmas special. It was always fresh, it didn't go on long enough for you to get tired of it. Now, I'm stepping off of my soapbox.

*mumbles* free love on the free love freeway, where the lovin's free and the freeway's long...

goosey_84
goosey_84 Posted Mon 14 Jan, 2008 11:27 PM Quote
ElspethOllie wrote:
*mumbles* free love on the free love freeway, where the lovin's free and the freeway's long...

lol i love when gareth is all "she's dead..."

lindsey22295
lindsey22295 Posted Tue 15 Jan, 2008 1:24 AM Quote
ElspethOllie wrote:

Ahahaha...I love that episode.

I like both versions...they have their differences and similarities, but they are both hilarious.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Tue 15 Jan, 2008 3:25 AM Quote
I like the Office (American). Especially now that it's been on longer I don't think it should be compared to the original. I delight in Dwight. I love that the actor on his own started a blog for Dwight. This is my favorite entry. It's a little old but I especially like it since I'm a Lost fanatic:

Dwight's thoughts on Lost

The Office (UK) is in my Netflix queue but I haven't gotten to it yet. I am confident that I will love it in a different way.

Moray
Moray Posted Tue 15 Jan, 2008 8:09 AM Quote
goosey_84 wrote:
ElspethOllie wrote:

lol i love when gareth is all "she's dead..."

haha "She's not dead!"

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 7:14 PM