Travis

Hollywood Strikewatch
ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Sat 10 Nov, 2007 8:09 PM Quote
Well, it's day five and the writers are still on strike. I just started this thread because I wanted to know, have any of you ever gone on strike?

P.S. I'm kind of bummed that the strike means Conan reruns...

Re: Hollywood Strikewatch
heyjude
heyjude Posted Sat 10 Nov, 2007 8:19 PM Quote
yeah, i know what you mean about conan! never been on a strike, but i've attended protest rallies when i was in college.

Hanne
Hanne Posted Sat 10 Nov, 2007 8:40 PM Quote
Nah, never been on strike. However, I've experienced the consequences of some strikes in France where it seems that they strike whenever they get the chance.

During my first visit in Paris when I was 15, there was a metro strike. My family and I did manage to get onto one of the few trains that were still running, and when we were supposed to get off the train, my family got off - I was pushed back by the masses and suddenly I was alone in the metro! I did get off at the next station but damn, that was scary!

Then when I was 21, I studied in Lyon for a semester. The bus drivers etc. went on a strike twice during those months, and I lived up a hill. It took me an hour to walk between uni and uni residence *sigh*

Sorry for talking about something completely unrelated to Hollywood, the word 'strike' just brought back memories lol

AbsolutPurple
AbsolutPurple Posted Sat 10 Nov, 2007 8:44 PM Quote
Live from Strikeland

LOL

Hanne
Hanne Posted Sat 10 Nov, 2007 9:02 PM Quote
AbsolutPurple wrote:
Live from Strikeland

LOL

Well let's just say I've experienced your grèves. Considdering the relatively small amount of time I've spent in France, I think it's rather impressive lol. How do you French people live with it??

AbsolutPurple
AbsolutPurple Posted Sat 10 Nov, 2007 9:17 PM Quote
Guess you were around in 1995 ?

Bloody pain in the neck i remember.
Walked to work or tried hitch-hiking for like a month...40 minutes walk each time in the freezing cold.
Colleagues either rode bicycles or walked or roller-skated...and those unfortunate to leave far away either stayed with relatives/friends in the city or adopted creazy schedules and came by car (walking up at 4 am - arriving a 6pm and leaving the office at 2 pm).

We all hated it.

Hanne
Hanne Posted Sat 10 Nov, 2007 9:24 PM Quote
AbsolutPurple wrote:
Guess you were around in 1995 ?

Bloody pain in the neck i remember.
Walked to work or tried hitch-hiking for like a month...40 minutes walk each time in the freezing cold.
Colleagues either rode bicycles or walked or roller-skated...and those unfortunate to leave far away either stayed with relatives/friends in the city or adopted creazy schedules and came by car (walking up at 4 am - arriving a 6pm and leaving the office at 2 pm).

We all hated it.

Yes, April 1995. Since we have Thursday, Friday and Monday around Easter off work here, we were in Paris for five days. It was a wonderful holiday apart from the metro thing. I'd learned French for a couple of months in school, and I couldn't say much apart from bonjour, oui and non. I've been in Paris since then though where the metro actually worked, so my first impression wasn't really correct lol

AbsolutPurple
AbsolutPurple Posted Sat 10 Nov, 2007 9:35 PM Quote
was talking about the major strike in december 1995 - métro, bus, trains were not working.

One Paris-based businessmam even flew Paris-New York- Marseille because he couldn't take the train to go to Marseille.
LOL

Hanne
Hanne Posted Sat 10 Nov, 2007 9:45 PM Quote
AbsolutPurple wrote:
was talking about the major strike in december 1995 - métro, bus, trains were not working.

One Paris-based businessmam even flew Paris-New York- Marseille because he couldn't take the train to go to Marseille.
LOL

I think this was a warning strike. I've never heard of anyone but the French striking in advance of negociations...

Anyhow that was one hell of a deroute. One might also call it the scenic route, if you think of the Atlantic Ocean as scenic.

DAKOTA
DAKOTA Posted Sat 10 Nov, 2007 10:28 PM Quote
I haven't ever been on strike, but come the new year when the networks replace all my scripted Dramas with crappy reality shows I won't be watching any T.V. >:(

ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Sun 11 Nov, 2007 6:13 AM Quote
Word Dakota. I do feel bad for Ellen. I mean, she's in a really hard place. It's cool that she wants to honor her fans, and all. If I was planning on going to her show, and couldn't because of the strike I'd be bummed too. But on the other hand, you've gotta respect the writers. They're her bread and butta. So yeah, hard decision. I probably wouldn't be able to pick.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Sun 11 Nov, 2007 11:57 PM Quote
I think most Americans don't get it yet but once the scripts dry up and we're left with reruns and reality shows that make Meet Joe Millioniare seem highbrow people will start turning against the networks and insist they work out a deal.

ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Tue 27 Nov, 2007 11:37 PM Quote
Okay one of my shows has fallen already, lets keep a running list shall we?:

The Office

lindsey22295
lindsey22295 Posted Tue 27 Nov, 2007 11:38 PM Quote
ElspethOllie wrote:
Okay one of my shows has fallen already, lets keep a running list shall we?:

The Office

I was just thinking about that...what is there to look forward to on Thursdays now?

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Tue 27 Nov, 2007 11:43 PM Quote
AbsolutPurple wrote:

LOL

When I was in Paris few years back, Louvre employees were on a strike. It was hell!

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 4:58 PM