Travis

Re: The first listen thread
Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Tue 30 Sep, 2008 2:29 PM Quote
Typing to Reach You wrote:

I think Travis ought to churn out another two or three singles after Song To Self to get people to notice them. Surely one of the songs has got to do it for them.

I agree..The first single had a huge job of promotion and needs a 2, 3, and 4 to get the message circulating better. I also agree that one of the tracks will do it and I think it could be Friends ,or Quite Free beginning next Summer, when the sap is rising.

Peewee
Peewee Posted Tue 30 Sep, 2008 3:18 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
After 3 listens:

Amazing songs:
Chinese Blues
Last Words
Quite Free
Song To Self
Before You Were Young

Good songs:
J Smith
Something Anything
Friends

Growing on me:
Long Way Down
Broken Mirror

Not good enough for the album:
Get Up

:)

I would have to go with that as well!!!! :)

Erial
Erial Posted Wed 01 Oct, 2008 11:42 AM Quote
Can you believe it? I listened to it once, and I can't get up the courage to listen to it again. It's just too intense! I can't handle it all at once.
My sister watches me crying over songs and thinks I'm a moron. It's ridiculous, really. *sighs*

Ah, I'll guess it'll take me a while to make a proper review myself, uhu.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Wed 01 Oct, 2008 12:23 PM Quote
Peewee wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:
After 3 listens:

Amazing songs:
Chinese Blues
Last Words
Quite Free
Song To Self
Before You Were Young

Good songs:
J Smith
Something Anything
Friends

Growing on me:
Long Way Down
Broken Mirror

Not good enough for the album:
Get Up

:)

I would have to go with that as well!!!! :)

Haha. I'd move the "growing on me" songs to "good songs" now but i'm really starting to love Broken Mirror. Still don't like Get Up. Well, its ok, its not a bad song its just not good enough for the album i don't think. :)

travisturkey
travisturkey Posted Wed 01 Oct, 2008 12:26 PM Quote
Broken Mirror is brilliant,it has the same kind of atmosphere as paperclips,which I also love :)

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Wed 01 Oct, 2008 1:00 PM Quote
travisturkey wrote:
Broken Mirror is brilliant,it has the same kind of atmosphere as paperclips,which I also love :)

Yes I always like the less popular songs . Its a gem in the album :)

Jennny
Jennny Posted Wed 01 Oct, 2008 2:07 PM Quote
i've got it! my sister went to the local record store to buy these for both of us and there were only two copies in the shop! my hands were a bit shaky while leafing through the lyrics at school :------) first listen done but not yet ready to make any comments. though must say this one, last words+quite free are truly amazing!

peno
peno Posted Wed 01 Oct, 2008 3:26 PM Quote
My review from the night of release.

“Year...play it loud man” Fran agreed with me this summer in a nice conversation about the single J.Smith after the great Travis-gig in Montreux Jazz Festival. And I do so fifth time on this day of release of the new Travis album Ode to J. Smith..play it very loud. Really a great relief to load the album for the first time, listen, dance and enjoy. At enjoy I do very much this Travis-album, maybe best ever from this awesome band. Lovely to enjoy the new album in its real context after attempted the rehearsal show in Portsmouth in February and a few other Travis-gigs were the band introduced new the songs with strength and modesty.
Modesty absolutely not needed here presenting this very complete and very dynamic album, which you as a real Travis fan for sure feel dedicated to fans and audience. Here is so much energy and great nerve in these 12 lovely travissongs, that makes it very difficult point favourite songs. With a gun in to my head I might say Last Words, Friends and J.Smith, but something anything is quite free for sarah to get up for a chinese blues a long way down from broken mirrors before you were young enough to sing song to self. Thank Travis and well done guys for this awesome Ode to J. Smith figures as one favourite song with 12 verse. I´ll play it loud, enjoy and let the world now here is the album of the year.

juuuli
juuuli Posted Wed 01 Oct, 2008 3:40 PM Quote

juuuli
juuuli Posted Wed 01 Oct, 2008 5:07 PM Quote
Had my first listen about two hours ago and all I can say is wow. I still can't comment comprehensively, but I am able to name a couple songs that truly stand out and are amazing: Chinese Blues, Last Words, Quite Free and Song To Self. Oh, and most definitely Before You Were Young. It brought tears to my eyes. Brilliant.

Pages Previous 1 2 3 [4] All Times BST Current Time 11:02 AM