Travis

My Ode to J Smith Review
GMS1968
GMS1968 Posted Sat 27 Sep, 2008 6:24 PM Quote
Ok, its early days.
But after 3 listens of Ode To J Smith, i feel that this IS the best album Travis have ever produced. (imo)
The most dramatic, edgey, rocky, inventive and suprisingly,incredibly emotional record to date.
Its an absolute classic.
Travis are free from the pressure of having to produce hits, and that is the best thing to have happened for us, them and anyone in the world who likes quality music.
The songs are all so good, it is impossible for me to single any of them out in terms of which impress me the most, because they all do.
All the songs most of us will not have heard untill the album, ( Chinese Blues, Long Way Down, Broken Mirror, Last Words, Quite Free and Before You Were Young) the last of which is the first song since More Than us to bring tears to my eyes, all live up to, and exceed expectations.
I think you are going to love this album.

Re: My Ode to J Smith Review
rebekah
rebekah Posted Sat 27 Sep, 2008 7:57 PM Quote
I love it i love it i love it :D

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Sat 27 Sep, 2008 8:19 PM Quote
GMS1968 wrote:
But after 3 listens of Ode To J Smith, i feel that this IS the best album Travis have ever produced.

I think so too .

Each of their albums have their strength amd atmosphere but I think musically , this takes and is going to take , some beating !

Mikko85
Mikko85 Posted Sat 27 Sep, 2008 8:49 PM Quote
good review. Personal opinion is that it's hit and miss, and not a patch on The Man Who as a whole.

Some of it, for me just doesn't work. The loud, rocky stuff like Get Up and Something Anything lacks any of the subtle beauty that made TMW so perfect. And on that basis I can't rate it as highly.

But, BUT. It contains some absolute stunners, too.

mine:
Trixi
Trixi Posted Sat 27 Sep, 2008 9:14 PM Quote
I got the album yesterday and listen to it all the time since then. I can't even rank the songs from 1 to 11 because there are so many songs that I love the same but I think Chinese Blues, Long Way Down, Last Words, Quite Free, Friends and Song to Self are my favorites. The only song that still has to grow on me a bit is Broken Mirror and I still don't quite like the choir of J. Smith but the rest of the song is just too great to skip it. :)
I think Chinese Blues is the perfect new starter on concerts...the perfect starter for the record anyway :)
All in all...I LOVE the new album! Can't wait to hear the new stuff live soon!

Edit: Um...on second thought - I think Quite Free is my personal winner! :)

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 12:15 PM