Travis

Re: Hey, hey hockey fans!
Nikki
Nikki Posted Thu 01 Jan, 2009 9:25 PM Quote
PS: Gary Bettman is an asshat.

(presser with him on NHL Network right now)

minnmess
minnmess Posted Fri 02 Jan, 2009 6:09 PM Quote
I was reading an article about the 10 things revealed by having the World Juniors and Bell Cup (which is this giant minor league tournement held in Ottawa every year with teams from all over the world) in your own backyard. These 2 made me laugh and think of the board:

8. Patriotic passion

It's on the ice, and in the stands. A little bit of the Olympics in Ottawa, as visiting players and their following raise the flag and play and chant. Occasionally it's mean-spirited, but more often the patriot fervour is expressed with humour and grace. At a downtown hotel last evening, several Finnish men were discussing the possible gold-medal matchup between Canada and the U.S. or Canada-Sweden, among other combinations.

"As long as Canada beats Sweden," said one of the Finns. "That's all that matters."

10. Mini-sticks rule

Before they left Finland for Canada, the Finnish minor hockey players told their parents they could not wait to reach this golden land, where mini-sticks are allowed to be played inside the house, in EVERY house. Upon meeting his Canadian billet, the first words from a Jokerit player named Anton: "You have mini-sticks?" When the answer was in the affirmative, he smiled all the way to his new, temporary home.

Yes, we are the golden land of mini sticks! Come, we welcome you with open arms.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Fri 02 Jan, 2009 6:19 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
I was reading an article about the 10 things revealed by having the World Juniors and Bell Cup (which is this giant minor league tournement held in Ottawa every year with teams from all over the world) in your own backyard. These 2 made me laugh and think of the board:

8. Patriotic passion

It's on the ice, and in the stands. A little bit of the Olympics in Ottawa, as visiting players and their following raise the flag and play and chant. Occasionally it's mean-spirited, but more often the patriot fervour is expressed with humour and grace. At a downtown hotel last evening, several Finnish men were discussing the possible gold-medal matchup between Canada and the U.S. or Canada-Sweden, among other combinations.

"As long as Canada beats Sweden," said one of the Finns. "That's all that matters."

10. Mini-sticks rule

Before they left Finland for Canada, the Finnish minor hockey players told their parents they could not wait to reach this golden land, where mini-sticks are allowed to be played inside the house, in EVERY house. Upon meeting his Canadian billet, the first words from a Jokerit player named Anton: "You have mini-sticks?" When the answer was in the affirmative, he smiled all the way to his new, temporary home.

Yes, we are the golden land of mini sticks! Come, we welcome you with open arms.

We had mini sticks when we were younger, too! There were many a battle between me and my brother in our basement.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Fri 02 Jan, 2009 6:23 PM Quote
We used to have a ministick tourney in our basement every Christmas break when we were little with all the neighbours. It got violent. And it was rough on the knees.

Darran
Darran Posted Fri 02 Jan, 2009 6:32 PM Quote
I just fought with my brothers.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Fri 02 Jan, 2009 6:36 PM Quote
Darran wrote:
I just fought with my brothers.

I did that too.
Apperently they dont know that you arent supposed to hit girls. or bite them. or hit them with hockey sticks. Or throw things at them.

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Fri 02 Jan, 2009 7:07 PM Quote
I witnessed my neighbour beat her brother, as hard as she could, in the head, with a bandy stick once.

There was a pool of blood on the ground, I thought he was going to die. :S

minnmess wrote:

Poor Finns, that won't happen :D

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Fri 02 Jan, 2009 7:53 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
We used to have a ministick tourney in our basement every Christmas break when we were little with all the neighbours. It got violent. And it was rough on the knees.

did you flood the basement to get the ice ?

Darran
Darran Posted Fri 02 Jan, 2009 7:57 PM Quote
In my youth I used to get flat yogurt pots and butter pots to make mini ice rinks.

Wish I could have flooded somewhere and frozen it.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Fri 02 Jan, 2009 7:59 PM Quote
Darran wrote:
In my youth I used to get flat yogurt pots and butter pots to make mini ice rinks.

You did that last night, didn't you? Theo skated around on it.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Fri 02 Jan, 2009 8:06 PM Quote
Is a mini stick like the plastic kind you play floor hockey with?

I had a friend over yesterday who was my "defense" partner in school when we played floor hockey; the only game either of us understood and enjoyed.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Fri 02 Jan, 2009 8:12 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:

I had a friend over yesterday who was my "defense" partner in school when we played floor hockey; the only game either of us understood and enjoyed.

Yep. That's what it is, Kayte. Mini sticks were played a lot during intermissions of hockey games, when it was too late to go outside and play. Most of the time we played on rollerblades at the end of our deadend street or on the lake in the winter. Good times.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Fri 02 Jan, 2009 8:13 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:

If you mean these, yes
http://www.novasport.ca/images/ministicks.gif

We played floor hockey with regular sized sticks, but plastic ones in school. mini sticks and floor hockey are related, but different sports.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Fri 02 Jan, 2009 8:13 PM Quote
floor hockey = what ? isn't the rink technically a floor ?

minnmess
minnmess Posted Fri 02 Jan, 2009 8:15 PM Quote
ricv64 wrote:
floor hockey = what ? isn't the rink technically a floor ?

floor hockey= no ice. Running around on a gym floor/basement, etc
mini sticks= crawling around on your knees with teeny sticks. (if someone turns that into something filthy I would not be suprised)

Woah, can the ABC be in Minnesota. I just found this.
http://www.roadtripamerica.com/roadside/Minnesota-Eveleth-Worlds-Largest-Hockey-Stick.jpg

Pages Previous 1...29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 Next All Times BST Current Time 3:50 AM