Travis

Your commute to work/school/college
moominbadger
moominbadger Posted Tue 16 Sep, 2008 8:22 AM Quote
Hello.
I'm due to start a new job next week that will involve three hours of commuting a day. Um, I'm feeling a bit sorry for myself as I only had to go 15 mins down the road to my last job! How far do you guys travel each day? Come on, make me feel better and tell me you travel two hours each way!!

Re: Your commute to work/school/college
Lemon Grinner
Lemon Grinner Posted Tue 16 Sep, 2008 9:18 AM Quote
I travel about 20 mins each way...

Your journey sucks balls.

Tonie
Tonie Posted Tue 16 Sep, 2008 9:58 AM Quote
Shame. I hope it all works out for you.

My commute is non-existent, as I work from home and have an office in the spare room across the landing! Kitchen and bathroom are pretty close too! :)

Gets a bit lonely here on my ownsome, but no travel whatsoever is a definite perk.

moominbadger
moominbadger Posted Tue 16 Sep, 2008 11:01 AM Quote
ah bloody hell!! Now I'm feeling thoroughly depressed!!! May need to review the situation in six months after our initial tenancy agreement here and move closer to Leeds.

Tonie
Tonie Posted Tue 16 Sep, 2008 11:08 AM Quote
Sorry didn't mean to depress you.

Are you hoping to live in Leeds? It's a great city - I grew up there! I went for a visit a couple of months ago, and the shops are fab :)

moominbadger
moominbadger Posted Tue 16 Sep, 2008 11:20 AM Quote
I'm going to be working in Leeds but as my hubby is going in to uni in York we thought we'd be better living somewhere in between so we're in Selby! We only had a day to find a flat and this was the nicest one we saw and right next to the railway station. In hindsight though, I do wish we were closer to Leeds but then hubby would have more travelling to do.
Have only been to Leeds once but loved it, it's a fab city!!
So what work do you do that means you can work from home? I need a career change!!

MusicGirl99
MusicGirl99 Posted Tue 16 Sep, 2008 11:44 AM Quote
wow sorry. Mine's 45 min each way.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Tue 16 Sep, 2008 12:42 PM Quote
I feel your pain, Laura. I used to drive an hour and 20 minutes each way to work. My new job is much closer at about 25 minutes each way. I work from "home" on Fridays, which often requires me to go out and cover events that are an hour away. It's usually fun stuff though, so I don't mind.

moominbadger
moominbadger Posted Tue 16 Sep, 2008 12:51 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:
I feel your pain, Laura. I used to drive an hour and 20 minutes each way to work. My new job is much closer at about 25 minutes each way. I work from "home" on Fridays, which often requires me to go out and cover events that are an hour away. It's usually fun stuff though, so I don't mind.

Argh, that was a lot of driving! I'll be catching a train and then catching a bus. I've never had to do this much commuting before so I really don't know how I'll find it...the most I've done is two bus rides that took 45 mins but I only had to do that for about a month!!

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 16 Sep, 2008 12:53 PM Quote
I used to get a bus 5 miles to work, If I left the house at 7am I was in work for 7:50. If I left the house at 7:10 it would be 8:45 by the time I got into work due simply to Dublin traffic.

It's not unusual for people to commute from outlying areas up to 50miles away, in Dublin traffic it can take you two hours to get out of Dublin alone. I did hear of one person who commuted from Limerick everyday 6hr round trip.

Dubz

minnmess
minnmess Posted Tue 16 Sep, 2008 1:18 PM Quote
3 hours?? eek

i work 20 minutes away.

moominbadger
moominbadger Posted Tue 16 Sep, 2008 1:25 PM Quote

double post. Bah.

moominbadger
moominbadger Posted Tue 16 Sep, 2008 1:26 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
I used to get a bus 5 miles to work, If I left the house at 7am I was in work for 7:50. If I left the house at 7:10 it would be 8:45 by the time I got into work due simply to Dublin traffic.

It's not unusual for people to commute from outlying areas up to 50miles away, in Dublin traffic it can take you two hours to get out of Dublin alone. I did hear of one person who commuted from Limerick everyday 6hr round trip.

Dubz

6 hours? That's crazy!! What quality of life could that person have had?!!

Tonie
Tonie Posted Tue 16 Sep, 2008 1:58 PM Quote
moominbadger wrote:

So what work do you do that means you can work from home? I need a career change!!

I do telesales, business to business. It's far from being a dream job. Which child ever said "when I grow up I want to cold-call companies" ??? Certainly not me! However, it's a job, and it keeps me out of mischief!

mozman68
mozman68 Posted Tue 16 Sep, 2008 2:01 PM Quote
Today I drove 10 minutes to my office....but my main office is about 50 minutes away. I enjoy the time I have to listen to the stereo really loud...no doors on the Jeep...(but it was really cold driving in this morning)....back to work... :(

Pages [1] 2 3 Next All Times BST Current Time 9:13 PM