Travis

Re: Ode To J. Smith Samples
Nikki
Nikki Posted Sat 13 Sep, 2008 6:06 AM Quote
Ok. I only clicked on "Song to Self" since I've already heard it. The middle section does sound really great! And yeah, it sounds so much deeper and better. Maybe it's just the quality compared to the ripped file from the radio I'd been playing.

I won't click on those other links. I won't!!

So, I'm wondering what everyone's plan is. Are y'all just gonna wait, or buy Ode online from another country? I don't do digital downloads. I'm way behind the times in that regard, lol.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Sat 13 Sep, 2008 6:29 AM Quote
Nikki wrote:

So, I'm wondering what everyone's plan is. Are y'all just gonna wait, or buy Ode online from another country? I don't do digital downloads. I way behind the times in that regard, lol.

I'm going to wait. I don't like digital downloads either and I want my copy to be argentinian. Even if I didn't care about that I can't afford to import the album. So I'll wait.

Although I won't be offended at all if the release date for South America is brought forward :oP

RaZzZ
RaZzZ Posted Sat 13 Sep, 2008 6:58 AM Quote
I clicked all songs
But as i saw it: chinese blues is fu**ing amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last words: lovely
Quiet Free: so melody!
Get Up: EVERYBODY: Get up, get up!
Friends: typical lovely travis song
Before you were young: You will cry with this song

But 37:11 isnt a short album?

gladsadmad
gladsadmad Posted Sat 13 Sep, 2008 10:35 AM Quote
I don't want to spoil the listening experience of Ode To J. Smith with samples. Maybe just Song To Self to find out how this middle section sounds...

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sat 13 Sep, 2008 11:40 AM Quote
37:11. Is that the album length? That sounds about right to me. From live I expected it to be between 35 and 38 minutes. Which is great!

So excited by Song To Self now! Haha.

81 Posted Sat 13 Sep, 2008 11:43 AM Quote
Thanks Milos. 81

Mikko85
Mikko85 Posted Sat 13 Sep, 2008 12:18 PM Quote
On Song to Self.....dunno, you know when you really get into a song and start replaying it in your head so it sounds even better....it's like the guys have had the same idea and spruced it up a lot, and the middle bit sounds amazing, it's like the crescendo it always kinda sounded like it was building into. Love it.

Think they're well aware they've got a great tune here.

Am gonna have to listen to the others again but I was impressed with all but one.....can't remember which. The rest sounded awesome, particularly Chinese Blues and Before You Were Young. Friends and Long Way Down sound a lot better than last time I heard them too.

milos
milos Posted Sat 13 Sep, 2008 12:27 PM Quote
I'm really confused. Fran and Andy played the single version on the radio now. The same one they've playing live lately. I don't know why it's different only on the album?!

gladsadmad
gladsadmad Posted Sat 13 Sep, 2008 12:59 PM Quote
The middle section of Song To Self is the album version that was played live on the February tour.

The song that is out there is the radio edit for the single when it is released.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sat 13 Sep, 2008 1:09 PM Quote
Really delighted about that. I cannot wait. I go through phases of worrying about the album. Probably just because of all the wait but I shouldn't be because 7 or 8 of them are going to be amazing.

milos
milos Posted Sat 13 Sep, 2008 1:13 PM Quote
Here is what Fran wrote about Song To Self in one of his blogs: "The cool thing about it is it changes up after every section. Intro, Verse, Chorus, Middle 8, Chorus, instrumental break and final chorus followed by a very short outro." The part of the song that can be heard in the sample is definitely "middle 8". The radio version has another verse instead of it. I don't know why they decided to change it. It sounds great in that one-minute sample.

mayfly
mayfly Posted Sat 13 Sep, 2008 11:56 PM Quote
Clicked them all. :)
I want to listen to full track of Chinese Blues and Broken Mirror.

healyramirez
healyramirez Posted Sun 14 Sep, 2008 12:28 AM Quote

friends always friends, i love friends. a classic. i'm crazy?, best song ever

thanks travis

healyramirez
healyramirez Posted Sun 14 Sep, 2008 12:40 AM Quote
quite free is a great surprise. (beautiful) king creosote

long way down is single hit material. (best than live) libertines

last words is other single material. beatles let it be

chinese blues one of the best. the veils

broken mirror (dark, indie with cup of tea)My second fav. mansun

great great album. i think compite with the man who. No bad songs. all pretty good. rock-indie-melody-prog.

live material:
Chinese Blues
J.Smith
Something Anything
Long Way Down
Song To Self

single material:
01. J.Smith
02. Something Anything
03. Song To Self
04. Long Way Down
05. Last Words