Travis

Re: Thoughts on the new Last.fm design?
Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Mon 21 Jul, 2008 12:08 AM Quote
Seems pretty cool to me. Like the music player on the profile page. I think they've made it more visual. I have to say though, its not such a big deal to me 'cos I don't go on it all that much. I guess if you were on it all the time and were used to the old design it'd throw you a bit.

Lemon Grinner
Lemon Grinner Posted Mon 21 Jul, 2008 12:09 AM Quote
I'm with Andrew in that the recommendations actually make sense now, and it updates a lot quicker, but I am a bit confused by the change. I preferred the layout of the old un.

champagnesupernova
champagnesupernova Posted Mon 21 Jul, 2008 12:10 AM Quote
Andrew wrote:

The recommendations are better for a start, and the real-time stat updating is geek heaven!

Exactly these are the new features I like. On the other hand the general look changed a lot and it is not much different from Virb, Deezer or Imeem for instance. Not to mention the Facebook copycating. I've tried to use the beta version for the last one month or so and I even contributed in the Subscribers forums but couldn't take it much and each attempt was resulted as me going back to the old version.
It is of course not the end of the world though. I will get used to. :-P

champagnesupernova
champagnesupernova Posted Mon 21 Jul, 2008 12:15 AM Quote
urfe wrote:
Shitty. The layout is so gay. New features aren't useful at all. Take that library thing for instance. It takes so much space, has the exact function of old Top Artists list. Weekly charts disappeared, which killed the thrill of anticipating the sunday updates. I don't even talk about the facebookesque activity feed and shoutbox history failure. Ooh it just makes me sick to list all this crap. I miss you, old last.fm. As the song goes:

"I don't know how someone controlled you,
They bought and sold you"

*soppy*

Ha ha! Good point!
About 'Sunday anticipations' in particular I am 100% with you. The activity box and all that shit so annoying indeed. But still 'library' thing is quite useful. Except, it is SO huge like art class to 3 year old kindergarten students. I like seeing how many listens I got of an artist in my library when clicking on their pages and few little details like that.

Another good thing this new version is killing is the groups I think. They are so very 'invisible' comparing to the old version now. Oh and weekly neighbors thing is disappeared as well which sucks.
About weekly charts, I think it still works if you set your account. I embeded my weekly chart to my blog and it is easier to track this way.

Lemon Grinner
Lemon Grinner Posted Mon 21 Jul, 2008 12:17 AM Quote
Eh, have the Sunday things gone?? So you can't be suprised and see how many times you've listened to a shit song in one week?

champagnesupernova
champagnesupernova Posted Mon 21 Jul, 2008 12:18 AM Quote
Typing to Reach You wrote:
I guess if you were on it all the time and were used to the old design it'd throw you a bit.

That's the case. I practically live on last.fm. :-P
About the player thing, well it is good but not original as it is already on Virb, Deezer, Imeem etc. as I told before. The question is how 'original' is last.fm anymore? And how big of a 'music revoliton' is it... Debate. tee hee

champagnesupernova
champagnesupernova Posted Mon 21 Jul, 2008 12:26 AM Quote
Lemon Grinner wrote:
Eh, have the Sunday things gone?? So you can't be suprised and see how many times you've listened to a shit song in one week?

Since the charts are updated kinda momentary now, Sunday stats have lost is significance by the seems of it. It is not totally gone though. You can set your account to display charts for the last 7 days, on month, three months, overall as before but there is no a certain update day anymore. I think. The new layout seems really complicated and even though I set my charts the way I want to see them, it doesn't do it. Seriously it is like somebody removed my bed and when I go to sleep in the late night almost with clod eyes, I hit on the harsh floor. :-P

fortysixand2
fortysixand2 Posted Mon 21 Jul, 2008 12:37 AM Quote
it sucks. looks like they show their admirations to facebook.

limitations of charts to 15 entries, huge pictures of bands, pushing shoutbox all the way to the bottom of the page... they all suck. the only good thing is that the charts are updated at every newly listened song.

champagnesupernova
champagnesupernova Posted Mon 21 Jul, 2008 12:46 AM Quote
fortysixand2 wrote:

limitations of charts to 15 entries, huge pictures of bands, pushing shoutbox all the way to the bottom of the page... they all suck. the only good thing is that the charts are updated at every newly listened song.

Agree. But you can re-arrange the length of your charts up to 50 again. But then, it looks even more overwhelming as it will require even more scrolling down to get to the shoutbox after traveling through huge pictures.

fortysixand2
fortysixand2 Posted Mon 21 Jul, 2008 12:56 AM Quote
champagnesupernova wrote:
fortysixand2 wrote:

Agree. But you can re-arrange the length of your charts up to 50 again. But then, it looks even more overwhelming as it will require even more scrolling down to get to the shoutbox after traveling through huge pictures.

a true dilemma :)

actually, i joined the group "i want old last fm back" and i certainly do so.

if you want your old last fm back too, please do not hesitate to join us!

do you yahoo?

:)

urfe
urfe Posted Mon 21 Jul, 2008 1:00 AM Quote

Since the charts are updated kinda momentary now, Sunday stats have lost is significance by the seems of it. It is not totally gone though. You can set your account to display charts for the last 7 days, on month, three months, overall as before but there is no a certain update day anymore. I think. The new layout seems really complicated and even though I set my charts the way I want to see them, it doesn't do it. Seriously it is like somebody removed my bed and when I go to sleep in the late night almost with clod eyes, I hit on the harsh floor. :-P

Yep. Right-on-the minute updates don't make sense at all. Okay, we have the last 7 days tab but it won't equal the weeklies.

champagnesupernova
champagnesupernova Posted Mon 21 Jul, 2008 1:03 AM Quote
fortysixand2 wrote:
fortysixand2 wrote:

a true dilemma :)

actually, i joined the group "i want old last fm back" and i certainly do so.

if you want your old last fm back too, please do not hesitate to join us!

do you yahoo?

:)

Ok I will have a look but don't think it will change a thing as the last.fm team have been working quite hard on the new look for a while with the contribution of many subscribers.

I used to Yahoo until my account was hacked and my contacts started to get spammer emails from my account. :-)

dee
dee Posted Mon 21 Jul, 2008 1:03 AM Quote
i do like the library thingy.that's all i've had time to rate so far because i've been transfixed by the sheer weirdness of some of the bands i've managed to download along the way.

champagnesupernova
champagnesupernova Posted Mon 21 Jul, 2008 1:06 AM Quote
dee wrote:
i do like the library thingy.that's all i've had time to rate so far because i've been transfixed by the sheer weirdness of some of the bands i've managed to download along the way.

That is called last.fm madness. Too late. You can no longer be saved. :-)

isma
isma Posted Mon 21 Jul, 2008 11:37 AM Quote
urfe wrote:
Shitty. The layout is so gay. New features aren't useful at all. Take that library thing for instance. It takes so much space, has the exact function of old Top Artists list. Weekly charts disappeared, which killed the thrill of anticipating the sunday updates. I don't even talk about the facebookesque activity feed and shoutbox history failure. Ooh it just makes me sick to list all this crap. I miss you, old last.fm. As the song goes:

"I don't know how someone controlled you,
They bought and sold you"

*soppy*

Totally agree with ya !

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 4 Next All Times BST Current Time 9:29 PM