Travis

Re: The Mixtape Exchange (THE DRAW)
DAKOTA
DAKOTA Posted Fri 08 Aug, 2008 8:06 PM Quote
Oh, I love me some Flight of the Conchords. I was going to pick up the album at best buy last night but they were sold out! Boo!

I kind of feel bad...I didn't write about the songs! I rambled on and on about other things. Haha! Maybe I'll listen to it and write down my thoughts and PM you or something. Hehe.

SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Fri 08 Aug, 2008 8:18 PM Quote
DAKOTA wrote:
Oh, I love me some Flight of the Conchords. I was going to pick up the album at best buy last night but they were sold out! Boo!

I kind of feel bad...I didn't write about the songs! I rambled on and on about other things. Haha! Maybe I'll listen to it and write down my thoughts and PM you or something. Hehe.

Aww...that's too bad they were sold out! That album is so funny...I love those guys!

Meh, don't feel bad! I think I rambled too much. Hope you enjoy it!

mili
mili Posted Fri 08 Aug, 2008 8:30 PM Quote
lilly wrote:

aaaah, I'm so relieved you like it!
and yes, it's a tad melancholy, I guess that's just how part of me feels all the time (just a bit, don't worry ;) )

Why did you have a horrible Friday? :(

The Kettcar lyrics are here.
Don't worry if you cannot follow the lyrics, I myself have my difficulties understanding what exactly they mean by, for example "jeder bringt sich selbst allein nach haus
und fast vernünftig aber raus die kuh vom eis und was es heisst, ab jetzt wird eingetauscht". Really, I've known that song for years and I still can't say what it means ;)

Erdmöbel's text is here.

For a long time, I thought Puff was a happy song, too. And then I had a close look at the lyrics and realised it's really sad. I love the melancholy in it.

I'm really glad you like the CD :)

Ohhh my GOD, Fanta 4!! I remember exactly how we all used to shout "Die Da" and "Sie ist weg" at the top of our voices, on the schoolyard, everywhere. :D Do you know "MfG"?
They're the only Rap/Hip-Hop band I like :)

Thanks for the links!

I have to check out MfG, don't think I know it.

Ah, the Friday… first badly slep night, rainy, wet morning and a meeting i just made at 9 went on for 2 hours, followed by 2 hours' worth of more meeing like activities. I was supposed to send two big catalogues to the printers' today, but only one of them I managed to get through by the end of the office hours (I was by my computer at 2 pm). The other one is still sending, something wrong with the connection, I suppose.

lilly
lilly Posted Fri 08 Aug, 2008 8:37 PM Quote
mili wrote:

Ah, the Friday… first badly slep night, rainy, wet morning and a meeting i just made at 9 went on for 2 hours, followed by 2 hours' worth of more meeing like activities. I was supposed to send two big catalogues to the printers' today, but only one of them I managed to get through by the end of the office hours (I was by my computer at 2 pm). The other one is still sending, something wrong with the connection, I suppose.

oh no :( that sounds like one of those endless Fridays at work.

mili
mili Posted Fri 08 Aug, 2008 9:16 PM Quote
lilly wrote:
mili wrote:

oh no :( that sounds like one of those endless Fridays at work.

Yeah, it's my work :^P
To be continued tomorrow, life of a freelancer.

spid
spid Posted Sat 09 Aug, 2008 12:37 PM Quote
Thanks Darran, got it today haven't had a chance to listen yet but will do later

Edit : have now done so - here it is.
it is called 'Strings and Things'

tracks are
You and Me -Delays ( i loved this but just wished they enounciated and brought the vocals up higher than the strings a bit more (that's the English teacher in me, wnat ing to understand the lyrics without having to try too hard!)
Once Upon A time in America - The Jeevas (oooh, good and jangly very uplifting)
White No Sugar - Clint Boon Experience (didn't think I'd like this as I've heard other stuff and haven't but this did okay - I will try more now)
You Are My Joy - Snowpatrol (i was amazed you found a SNowpatrol I didn't have - but I don't have this! Great)
Robin Hood (Live at the Albert Hall)- Ocean Colour Scene (nice live sound)
Nevermore - The Soundtrack of Our Lives (loved this lots - complicated and rocky - yeah!)
Who Put the Weight of the World on My Shoulders - Oasis(nice - i like oasis lovely accoustic sound)
Shoot to Kill - The Front (great bass line - a little too rocky for a Saturday morning with a hangover but it will have it's place for when I need that rockier stuff)
Missing the Boat - Cotton Mather (very punk - a little heavy and shouty for me - but it will stay on my itunes and ipod as it will have it's place)
Blinded By the Sun - Seahorses (loved this massivleey)
Up the Junction - The View (really good - I wondered how they would make this song their own but they did really well)
Higher Sights - Embrace (very Embrace and that's good - one of the better ones by them)
Shooting Star - Ilan Eshkeri (reminiscnet of something I can't put my finger on - very much movie music)

Great choices Darran this will be played a lot! Thanks

SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Mon 11 Aug, 2008 11:01 PM Quote
DAK!! I got mine today...Just opened it up and haven't had a chance to listen, but I'm really excited! Great cover art, and cd art, btw!

elodie
elodie Posted Mon 11 Aug, 2008 11:23 PM Quote
hi!

it is too late to participate? it is a brillant idea!

I've seen in the previous pages that Paul was asking the same question... :-)

DAKOTA
DAKOTA Posted Tue 12 Aug, 2008 12:47 AM Quote
SamuraiSandy wrote:
DAK!! I got mine today...Just opened it up and haven't had a chance to listen, but I'm really excited! Great cover art, and cd art, btw!

Yay! I'm glad you like the artwork at least! ;D

DAKOTA
DAKOTA Posted Tue 12 Aug, 2008 2:24 AM Quote
My Long Winded Thoughts:

Quote:

This Mix is called: Shake Your Hips & Tap Your Toes! (the cover is all the album covers that these songs come from!)

1. Sleeping Lessons - The Shins

I like the shins a lot! I actually never picked up Wincing the night away, though. maybe I should? I had Phantom Limb on my '07 mix, but I think this one just kind of fell through the cracks for me because it came out early in the year.

2. Youthless - Beck

I haven't heard this one yet! I like it! Adds to list for '08 ;)

3. Boy With a Coin - Iron & Wine

You're right, I'm not much of an Iron & Wine fan, but they played this one enough last year that it's grown on me quite a bit!

4. Instant Pleasure - Rufus Wainwright

Listening to this the first time without looking at the tracklist I had to take a gander and see who this was...because for some reason my brain went on vacation and I didn't recognize Rufus Wainwright's voice. (It's not like it's distinct in any way. /sarcasm Hehe!) I hadn't heard this song before, I really like it!

5. Oh Lately It's So Quite - O.K. Go

Deffinitely a change of pace from the handful of O.K. Go songs I've heard. I like it!

6. Simple Life - Caroline Liar

I actually picked this album up for my Dad for Father's Day. I've only heard that one song. You know, the one on the radio, but he's said the rest of the album is good. I'm quite liking what I've heard though. I may have to steal it from him and make myself a copy.

7. Possum Kingdom - Toadies

Oh, yes, I remember this song well. So help me, Jesus. ;D

8. Hiphopopotamus vs. Rhymenoceros - Flight of the Chonchords

I think I made my thoughts on Flight of the Conchords pretty clear earlier on in the thread but to reiterate: I love them! (I put I'm Not Crying on my '07 mix!)

9. Mondo Bongo - Joe Strummer & the Mescaleros

Well, I haven't heard this particular song, but I like Joe Strummer, so it's a thumbs up. :)

10. Baby's Got Sauce - G. Love and Special Sauce

I only have Philadelphonic, because I looooved Rodeo Clowns (which I will have to go listen to immediately following this mix now), but I do have a special place in my heart for G. Love Also, I think he's cute. I don't know if I should be admitting that, but there it is anyway. ;)

11. Burro - Beck, Odelay

I thought I recognized the tune. (just read your description again ;)

12. Australia - The Shins

See previous thoughts on the Shins. Hehe, I like this song too!

13. A Man / Me / Then Jim - Rilo Kiley

Weird, I like Rilo Kiley well enough, but I have never purchased anything by them except for the odd song, therefor I haven't heard this one before. Jenny Lewis has a gorgeous voice, though, I concur.

14. Question - Old 97's

I adore the Old 97's! Especially THIS song! (because I'm a big soppy girl) I tried to get it on my sister's wedding video, and my dad vetoed it because he thought it was "weird" and wanted to know if I was going to put anything popular on it. What? It's a song about a proposal, how much more appropriate can you get?

15. Modern Nature - Sondre Lerche

I have this album! This song is adorable :D

16. Know-How - Kings of Convenience, ft. Feist, Riot on an Empty Street.

Haha, apparently I didn't have any thoughts on this one the first time around. I just noticed while I was previewing this message. Hah! I must have gotten distracted! I know I like Feist, and Kings of Convenience, so I'm sure it was good. ;)

17. One Love - Jason Mraz

Hmmm, I don't know about this one. I like Jason Mraz well enough. Maybe I'm just too used to the Bob Marley version. I'll have to let this one grow on me I think. :D

18. Au Revoir - Flight of the Conchords

Hehe, No better way to end it, I think!

All in all, a very enjoyable mix! I liked it! :D

(I did type out thoughts on the songs I chose too the other day, if you'd be interested in my long rambling thought process. ;))

minnmess
minnmess Posted Tue 12 Aug, 2008 2:50 AM Quote
Sondre, Jason Mraz and Old 97's. awesome

"someday somebody's going to ask you...a question that you should say yes to...once in your life. Ive got a question for you" im a sap

Nikki
Nikki Posted Tue 12 Aug, 2008 3:43 AM Quote
I put Sondre and Mraz man on my album to Tracey as well. <3333

elodie
elodie Posted Tue 12 Aug, 2008 7:05 PM Quote
So anyone's interested to join the game?

minnmess
minnmess Posted Fri 15 Aug, 2008 3:49 PM Quote
I got Lemon Grinner's cd today! I thought it might have been lost forever! (she has mine but i dont think she has had a chance to listen to it yet).
Im going to try to listen to it today, but no guarentees bc im headed out and wont be back until tomorrow evening, but i thought i should share the title:
"Tits! Arse! Beer!: Lemon Grinner's Best of British!"
awesome

spid
spid Posted Tue 19 Aug, 2008 12:40 PM Quote
Bump

Where's everyone's reviews?

Pages Previous 1...3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Next All Times BST Current Time 8:36 PM