Travis

Watch this video if you can
weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Wed 09 Jul, 2008 9:10 PM Quote
A friend from high school just alerted me to the fact that a girl I LOATHED was featured in a segment on the "Today" show this morning.

Her family was asked to cut their budget in half for a week. They made bold sacrifices like not getting Starbucks, she didn't get a pedicure, and they washed their own car and mowed their own lawn.

That must have been so tough!!!

She is still a spoiled brat!!!

Still an idiot

EDIT: You might not be able to see this if you don't live in the US. Sorry!

Re: Watch this video if you can
Hanne
Hanne Posted Wed 09 Jul, 2008 9:16 PM Quote
Nope, can't see it. Would've been a treat though. Maybe it'll be uploaded on youtube :o)

mozman68
mozman68 Posted Wed 09 Jul, 2008 9:26 PM Quote
Hah...I actually saw that this morning....what a joke. "boo-hoo...no more lawn service...and I went without a pedicure...waaaaaaaaaa."

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Wed 09 Jul, 2008 9:33 PM Quote
Yeah it's funny to me since I know her to be a spoiled brat and this confirms it but what a waste of TV time. If you're in a pinch you probably don't have these luxuries in the first place.

It's pathetic that it was a revelation to her and her husband that you can wash your own car and mow your own lawn.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Wed 09 Jul, 2008 10:11 PM Quote
Exactly Anne. It always kills me when I read articles that say "Save $200 a month! Find out how!" And they suggest cutting things we already don't have.

They save $25 by washing the car themselves? What car wash do they go to? The one we go to (3 or 4 times a year) is $3.

And cutting out Starbucks--we don't even drink coffee. Pedicure? Never had one, probably never will.

We live pretty darn frugally over here. We have what we need. Everyone's fed, no one's naked, we've got a roof over our heads and we're happy. Are there things I would LIKE? Sure, but we have all we need. Like high speed internet. Need that!

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Wed 09 Jul, 2008 10:28 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
They save $25 by washing the car themselves? What car wash do they go to? The one we go to (3 or 4 times a year) is $3.

It's the full service ones where they vacuum it and the whole deal. $25 isn't actually a bad price for those places but still especially with young kids it's actually a fun activity. My kids love to wash the car.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Thu 10 Jul, 2008 12:21 AM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

It's the full service ones where they vacuum it and the whole deal. $25 isn't actually a bad price for those places but still especially with young kids it's actually a fun activity. My kids love to wash the car.

Shame on those spoiled people and shame on the Today Show for such a lame story. All I have to say is boo-freakin'-hoo. I can totally see why you loathed this chick, Anne. She's so annoying.

I vacuum my own car and go to the $3 car wash probably once a month, otherwise it's a quick spray with the hose or wait for the rain. :)

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 10 Jul, 2008 1:12 AM Quote
Nikki wrote:
All I have to say is boo-freakin'-hoo.

May I adopt this line?

Nikki
Nikki Posted Thu 10 Jul, 2008 1:16 AM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
Nikki wrote:
All I have to say is boo-freakin'-hoo.

May I adopt this line?

Yes you may. :)

ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Thu 10 Jul, 2008 1:33 AM Quote
okay this is just lame. I know a lot of people don't cook, but usually it's because they are so busy with other things, isn't she a stay at home mom? C'mon, I cook for my family once a week! And why do they have a coffee maker if the just go to Starbucks every day! Why did they make a slip and slide seem like a poor man's form of entertainment? Why is she feeding her kids chick fil-a every SINGLE DAY?

Wow Anne, this lady is an idiot.

mozman68
mozman68 Posted Thu 10 Jul, 2008 3:08 AM Quote
...and I bet it makes you feel better that she's going bald....I had to watch it again to remind myself how stupid it was. Anyone want to take bets on whether or not they even carried any of this forward to week two??

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Thu 10 Jul, 2008 3:57 AM Quote
mozman68 wrote:
...and I bet it makes you feel better that she's going bald

I must admit it made me feel A LOT better. It also makes me feel great that she looked like a fool on TV....at least to people with brains.

Edit: the friend who called to tell me knows how I couldn't stand her so when she told me she said, "this is a belated anniversary present and an early birthday present."

It really was.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Thu 10 Jul, 2008 4:00 AM Quote
mozman68 wrote:
...and I bet it makes you feel better that she's going bald....I had to watch it again to remind myself how stupid it was. Anyone want to take bets on whether or not they even carried any of this forward to week two??

LMAO! Oooo, Moz...harsh. (But, sadly...true). Also, is that her foot? It looks like a man's foot. :/ Yikes!

She seemed like a complete idiot when she was being interviewed too. Like she didn't even know what she was saying and she was just thinking in her head "OMG! I'm on national TV! I hope I look good!" I just watched it again as well and it pissed me off even more! I'm surprised the family is so skinny considering they eat out everyday. And Lauren, you are so right! They made it seem like a slip and slide, washing your car and pot luck dinner parties are ghetto, LOL!

TK23
TK23 Posted Thu 10 Jul, 2008 4:05 AM Quote
Oy...that was a pretty silly segment, Today Show. They almost make it seem like it's the norm for American families to overspend on those types of indulgences.

th74
th74 Posted Thu 10 Jul, 2008 4:29 AM Quote
This was the lamest thing ever. A pedicure once a week? No Starbucks? Mowing your own lawn? Give me a break. I'd like to see them have to make some real sacrifices. Or have to decide between buying groceries or buying gas.

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 6:05 PM