Travis

for breastfeeding mommies-the virtues of beer
dee
dee Posted Mon 30 Jun, 2008 11:09 PM Quote
look at the poster steve and i found in a pub today
http://i28.tinypic.com/2ueno7t.jpg

i found another version of the interwebz too.
http://www.chezmaya.com/07/14/001.jpg

Re: for breastfeeding mommies-the virtues of beer
Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Mon 30 Jun, 2008 11:18 PM Quote
Oh, yes, they have that up at our pediatrician's office.

(No! Just kidding!)

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Tue 01 Jul, 2008 1:12 AM Quote
I've heard people say that beer (and specifically beer) can help with letdown.

(Letdown is just basically your body allowing the milk to flow out)

Always thought that was weird. Funny to see an old ad for it. You definitely wouldn't see that today!

dee
dee Posted Tue 01 Jul, 2008 1:20 AM Quote
these are still everywhere in ireland.
it is not so long ago that patients in hospital were given a pint for strength, you could get it free if you donated blood too as a good source of iron
http://rainsbury.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/guinness-is-good-for-you.jpg
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u313/aml2007hi/Guinness-for-Strength-horse-in-cart.jpg

minnesotamary
minnesotamary Posted Tue 01 Jul, 2008 2:35 AM Quote
Are ya'll trying to pull my leg??!

Breastfeeding is quite the chore. Don't know if I'm pumping enough. I've managed to store some but now that he's eating more, not sure if I can keep up with production!

I never liked beer, but...

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Tue 01 Jul, 2008 2:56 AM Quote
minnesotamary wrote:
Are ya'll trying to pull my leg??!

Breastfeeding is quite the chore. Don't know if I'm pumping enough. I've managed to store some but now that he's eating more, not sure if I can keep up with production!

I never liked beer, but...

I never had a problem with having enough milk or letdown or anything but I have heard this many times. I have no idea how true it is though.

My theory about the validity of this is that perhaps the beer helps you relax so if tension about nursing is making you not letdown this will help.

If you don't think that is an issue don't know how much it'll help you.

daytimeoyster
daytimeoyster Posted Tue 01 Jul, 2008 5:22 AM Quote
dee wrote:
it is not so long ago that patients in hospital were given a pint for strength, you could get it free if you donated blood too as a good source of iron

oh really
i've never thought that beer is good for health

spid
spid Posted Tue 01 Jul, 2008 8:22 AM Quote
my midwife prescribed Guiness to combat anemia - can't touch the stuff now I had to drink so much of it in pregnancy and breast feeding time.

Hanne
Hanne Posted Tue 01 Jul, 2008 8:49 AM Quote
The beer thing is true, as far as I know. One of my friends had problems producing enough milk, and it did help drinking beer. I remember being astonished the first time I visited her at home after giving birth. I didn't quite expect a bottle of beer next to her chair! lol

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 01 Jul, 2008 10:18 AM Quote
daytimeoyster wrote:
dee wrote:

oh really
i've never thought that beer is good for health

Most Alcohol does have benifical properties but has to be taken in very slight moderation, for example I have heard a glass of red wine a day is good for the heart as it thins the blood slightly. A glass a day of Bitter/Ale (or Heavy as we call it) is also good for the body. As far as I know the reason they use Guinness is that it is a very good Iron supplement.

Dubz

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Tue 01 Jul, 2008 3:14 PM Quote
This is from "What to Expect the First Year" by Einsenberg, Murkoff, and Hathaway. Copoyright 1996

"Drink alcoholic beverages only rarely. Until recently, it was believed that one or two drinks a day would be harmless to the nursing infant, but a recent study suggests that as little as one glass of wine a day could slow both large and small motor development in the baby. More study needs to be done, but to be safe rather than sorry, limit alcohol intake. Alcohol has other drawbacks as well. It dehydrates, causing the loss of fluids needed for milk production."

Most of the other books I read actually RECOMMENDED a glass of red wine for let down, like Anne said. So...who knows.

Also, Mary, you will produce more milk if the baby is nursing than if you are pumping. A pump just doesn't have the same type of "suck" that a baby does. When I was having trouble nursing my first and I was pumping, I finally went to a lactation consultant who said to stop pumping and get that baby to nurse. It really is way easier once you both get the hang of it.

minnesotamary
minnesotamary Posted Tue 01 Jul, 2008 3:52 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
Also, Mary, you will produce more milk if the baby is nursing than if you are pumping. A pump just doesn't have the same type of "suck" that a baby does. When I was having trouble nursing my first and I was pumping, I finally went to a lactation consultant who said to stop pumping and get that baby to nurse. It really is way easier once you both get the hang of it.

Yeah, they say that you should also pump out what the baby doesn't eat. Do I have to do that every time?! I have a hard enough time pumping as many times as I do already. Who knew it would be so tricky!

spid
spid Posted Tue 01 Jul, 2008 4:23 PM Quote
WHy would you pump out what he doesn't eat? That is just going to confuse your body! I found pumping nigh on impossible even when i had engorged boobs - all three of mine were breast fed for a LONG time. Your body will produce what is needed according to the baby.

GO with what feels natural and right not what the books say.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Tue 01 Jul, 2008 4:43 PM Quote
Mary are you going back to work? If so it is good to pump since your supply will decrease when you're not nursing for each feeding. It is possible though if its important to you. Known several women who did it.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Tue 01 Jul, 2008 5:11 PM Quote
minnesotamary wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Yeah, they say that you should also pump out what the baby doesn't eat. Do I have to do that every time?! I have a hard enough time pumping as many times as I do already. Who knew it would be so tricky!

I've never heard of that...pumping out what the baby doesn't eat. I don't think that's necessary. Pumps are a relatively new invention; people in the olden days didn't do that. Anyway, one other thing I wanted to mention is that after you've been nursing for a while, you won't have that "full" feeling as you did in the beginning where you could tell that you NEEDED to nurse. Your body evens out. The milk is still there, you just won't look and feel like you have two water balloons under your shirt!

Have we chased away every man on the board yet?

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 6:08 PM