Travis

Re: Sarah
BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Tue 01 Jul, 2008 5:44 AM Quote
They'll fit it in somewhere. Muse can fit all sorts of songs on their albums. Heard their last? Take A Bow? Starlight? Map Of The Problematique? Soldiers Poem? Assassin? Hoodoo? Knights Of Cydonia? All totally different from each other.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Tue 01 Jul, 2008 5:49 AM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
5 - Its pointless.

I say its stupid because in my opinion it is stupid. Sure it is easy to press the skip button for a few seconds. But that doesn't make it worthwhile. And you're not getting 'more' music. It's still there, as its own track. You're just getting a long stream of silence. I'd turn the stereo off if I wanted that. ;)

And Sarah wouldn't be taking the place of any new song. Do you think they'll fill 80 minutes of space on album 7? If you seriously do, I'll back down. But somehow I think they'll be less than 20 songs on it. Again, its not replacing any new song. They'll make an album and Dougie will say. 'Great. We've made an album. A great album. A great, 11 song album.' Fran will look up and say 'you're right Dougie. A great album. But a great... 12 song album.' ;)

Like my story? :)

Yeeeah. Nice story. :P Ben, you need sleep. You're not making any sense right now, LOL! I don't get this at all:

"And you're not getting 'more' music. It's still there, as its own track. You're just getting a long stream of silence."

What do you mean?! If "Ode" has "Sarah" on it as a hidden track (not saying it will, this is just in my own little world, lol) then the album will have more music on it than if it didn't include "Sarah"..LOL! I know it's late, and I'm not good at math...but I think "Ode" + "Sarah" = more music.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Tue 01 Jul, 2008 5:55 AM Quote
No I am making sense! Perfect sense. I'm talking about why hidden tracks are pointless! Because with a hidden track, you're not getting any 'more' music. Like I've said, put it as track 6 for god sake. The song is still there. Like I also said, all you are getting is a long stream of nothing with a hidden track.

Yes, Sarah on Ode To J Smith. We know it isn't but if it was, I'd be very happy. It may be different than all the others but I'd be happy. As track 11 though not after Before... as a sodding hidden track.

Ps. Sleep is for weak people. :)

Nikki
Nikki Posted Tue 01 Jul, 2008 5:55 AM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
They'll fit it in somewhere. Muse can fit all sorts of songs on their albums. Heard their last? Take A Bow? Starlight? Map Of The Problematique? Soldiers Poem? Assassin? Hoodoo? Knights Of Cydonia? All totally different from each other.

I like albums to have a common theme and for the songs to flow from one to another...which I think Travis perfected on "The Man Who" and did a great job of on "12 Memories." That's why I really think I'll love "Ode"..because there is a common theme among the songs about this Smithy guy and it's not just a jumbled mess...not to say that the Muse album is a mess, I've heard songs from it, but haven't heard it through in it's entirety. We had this conversation before on the board about The White Album, I believe.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Tue 01 Jul, 2008 5:57 AM Quote
And reading back what I said, you're being a typical naughty journalist Nikki and twisting my words. ;) I make it clear when I say 'its still there as its own track.'

Naughty Nikki. ;)

Nikki
Nikki Posted Tue 01 Jul, 2008 6:01 AM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
No I am making sense! Perfect sense. I'm talking about why hidden tracks are pointless! Because with a hidden track, you're not getting any 'more' music. Like I've said, put it as track 6 for god sake. The song is still there. Like I also said, all you are getting is a long stream of nothing with a hidden track.

Yes, Sarah on Ode To J Smith. We know it isn't but if it was, I'd be very happy. It may be different than all the others but I'd be happy. As track 11 though not after Before... as a sodding hidden track.

Ps. Sleep is for weak people. :)

I haven't heard the album, obviously, but the tracks I have heard off "Ode" are the complete opposite of "Sarah"...they're total rock out songs. It would probably screw up the flow of the album....which is why it would make sense as a hidden track -- as it's own separate work of art apart from the album. But I don't think you'll ever get my point and I'm never gonna agree with yours...so I'm going to bed! :P

Night! ;)

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Tue 01 Jul, 2008 6:06 AM Quote
I understand your point yes. I think that was about the amount of songs wasn't it. Where you said something along the lines of 'yeah, don't understand why you wouldn't want more than 12 tracks if they were good' and my point, or again one of them, was that it ruined the flow.

Again, back to the style thing, I think Sarah could work on most Travis albums. I think there's a good chance it'll work on album 7. Maybe it wouldn't, in which case don't put it on if its that crazy. My point is, that its much too good to be a b side. There's been plenty of examples in the past but this is ridiculous. Its one of my fave Travis songs!!! Should be on an album.

And this was all about how ridiculous hidden tracks are. My opinion won't change on that. ;)

Nikki
Nikki Posted Tue 01 Jul, 2008 6:07 AM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
And reading back what I said, you're being a typical naughty journalist Nikki and twisting my words. ;) I make it clear when I say 'its still there as its own track.'

Naughty Nikki. ;)

Oh boy. I get enough of it from Dubz, lol. I don't twist words, honestly! I'm fair, balanced and objective! ^.^
(shhhhh...don't ruin my chance to interview Travis one day, lol, cuz that wouldn't be a conflict of interest or anything.)

Night!

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Tue 01 Jul, 2008 6:13 AM Quote
I do get your point Nikki. Totally. I just think it smells a bit. ;)

Last Words isn't total rock out at all. And I don't think it does make sense to be a hidden track because the whole idea of a hidden track is nonsense anyway. Sarah is a great track and it deserves to be on an album, properly. The fact its a little different shouldn't make any difference, as long as it doesn't totally clash with others. The reason why I think Muse work is because they play off that variety and use it to their advantage in a way. They're all different. Obviously 11 all out rockers and a piano ballad would be weird. But 4 rockers, a dance tune, an epic thing, a pop song, a ballad etc... Kind of works. Haha.

We disagree but I think and hope we respect each others views. We get on well Nikki. :)

Night, night.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Tue 01 Jul, 2008 8:40 AM Quote
Then Ben, what do you think about Blue Flashing Light on The Man Who? If it had been track 6 like you said, it would have ruined the atmosphere. But it's too awesome to be out of the album. It's perfect as a hidden track because it doesn't spoil the "unity" of the album and the song can get its own shine. It would have been a total waste if it hadn't been on the album.
That's why hidden tracks are so great. They allow you to put a song that is as brilliant as the others but doesn't quite fit with the sound of the album.

I know you're gonna keep hating hidden tracks anyway but I wanted to say that :oP

(Sorry if my posts don't make much sense, it's 4.40 am and I'm exhausted - I haven't had a decent sleep time for weeks now).

20462046 Posted Tue 01 Jul, 2008 9:02 AM Quote
sarah is fucking great!!!i am deeply touched
listening to this masterpiece makes me feel like browsing my childhood album

Craig
Craig Posted Tue 01 Jul, 2008 10:04 AM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
Why? What's so good about them?

1 - Its not a surprise when you can see the track is 9 minutes long. Or even put them on tracklistings like they were on The Boy.
2 - Even if it is a surprise, its only a surprise once. You don't 2 weeks later go, 'oh my god, I thought it was over.'
3 - It totally ruins the flow of the album by it finishing then starting again. Normally into a song which could quite easily have been track 6.
4 - When you want to hear it on its own, you've got to skip the song before it. On an iPod its ok, still stupid, but on the cd, can take ages!

There's a load of reasons why I hate hidden tracks. They're ridiculous and stupid and ruin the end of an album.

i agree with you on hidden tracks i believe they do spoil an album, hopefully there won't be any on the next one

Craig
Craig Posted Tue 01 Jul, 2008 10:07 AM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
I understand your point yes. I think that was about the amount of songs wasn't it. Where you said something along the lines of 'yeah, don't understand why you wouldn't want more than 12 tracks if they were good' and my point, or again one of them, was that it ruined the flow.

Again, back to the style thing, I think Sarah could work on most Travis albums. I think there's a good chance it'll work on album 7. Maybe it wouldn't, in which case don't put it on if its that crazy. My point is, that its much too good to be a b side. There's been plenty of examples in the past but this is ridiculous. Its one of my fave Travis songs!!! Should be on an album.

And this was all about how ridiculous hidden tracks are. My opinion won't change on that. ;)

just think how great the songs are gunna be if a track of this quality won't be on the album

Craig
Craig Posted Tue 01 Jul, 2008 10:09 AM Quote
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:
Then Ben, what do you think about Blue Flashing Light on The Man Who? If it had been track 6 like you said, it would have ruined the atmosphere. But it's too awesome to be out of the album. It's perfect as a hidden track because it doesn't spoil the "unity" of the album and the song can get its own shine. It would have been a total waste if it hadn't been on the album.
That's why hidden tracks are so great. They allow you to put a song that is as brilliant as the others but doesn't quite fit with the sound of the album.

I know you're gonna keep hating hidden tracks anyway but I wanted to say that :oP

(Sorry if my posts don't make much sense, it's 4.40 am and I'm exhausted - I haven't had a decent sleep time for weeks now).

oh yes it did spoil the album, i hate hidden tracks. coldplay have ruined there latest with at lest 2 hidden tracks, they just spoil the album

deebee
deebee Posted Tue 01 Jul, 2008 12:01 PM Quote
Well, I'm absolutely loving Sarah but I can't seem to get into Get Up. I need to listen to it more. I'm still waiting for my hard copy to arrive - at least I've got the download to keep me happy until then.

Pages Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Times BST Current Time 2:48 PM